The HA Rocket launcher needs to be nerfed against infantry.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Blackiechan, Nov 26, 2012.

1. iostreamz

Ah yes, because getting hit with a rocket/missile is...you know...no problem.
  2. Eric Smith

The problem isn't really the damage - a rocket should creme an infantry - the problem is the rocket spamming. The solution is to up the damage against vehicles a little and give them an Infantry cost. They'll be more useful in their intended role (AV/AA) and less useful as Infantry Spam as both rockets and grenades will eat into your resource pool.
  3. Purg

Being largely a HA, I find that my LMG with 100 bullets its more successful at taking down infantry than my AA rocket launcher is. I only use it in absolute desperation if I'm surprised while trying to ward off air and have someone on me. Spamming doorways with such a long reload time seems counter productive when I have a perfectly working LMG.

I've actually died at full health as an LMG from the splash damage it made on another HA (who didn't die...). Go figure.
    • Up x 1
  4. Over00

Why shouldn't a rocket launcher one hit kill? If the player scores a direct hit then too right you shouldn't be breathing!

Even a hit from an unexploded RPG in real life will leave you with a gapping hole in your chest, body armour and all. Let alone if it manages to detonate...
  5. SixVoltSamurai

You must have received the direct hit then, because what you suggest is impossible.

Oh but wait, let's not stop there, then bullets become OP and need to be on a resource system! See where this goes? Nowhere you want it to go, rockets for their intended purpose barely hit their targets in the first place which is why I run the dumbfire 90% of the time anymore, and upon reading the dumbfire's description, it does mention that it is effective against infantry to boot. Lock on launchers are so easily negated and out maneuvered, infantry are sometimes the only thing they do get hits on.
  6. ozziewolf

Easy proof that you can't die to splash damage is take any rocket launcher. Go up to a wall and while facing/touching the wall fire your rocket launcher. At point blank range you'll loose all of your shields from the splash damage but that's it.
  7. fish998

You're dying because 100 guys are trying to get through 1 door. LMG fire would kill you all just as effectively, or grenades, or an engineers turret. The problem is the choke point not the rockets. Try a rocket in general play against infantry and you'll see they have mediocre damage and a small splash radius. They are not effective anti infantry weapons.

Maybe you should all stop spawning in that room. Once you're in that situation the SCU is almost definitely going down.
  8. Eric Smith

Oh, but wait, lets stop there.

Sure, the Slippery Slope argument using the good old reductio ad absurdum technique. We already have a cost for Maxes, Health Packs, and Grenades, right? Is it really that crazy to add a cost for RPG's too? They have more in common with Grenades than they do with bullets, yet they're completely free to use. Which is exactly why they are spammed all over the place, especially in Spawn Camping small bases and Tech Plant defense (though I see them used everywhere). If the goal is to see them spammed less (which is what I was responding to) do you have a way of doing so besides either nerfing them against Infantry or giving them a cost? Because if you have a third option that's absolutely brilliant I'd love to hear it. Otherwise you're basically saying "RPG Spamming is OK" which, really, it isn't IMO (and the opinions of others as well).

Then perhaps the problem is that Rockets are a bit underpowered in their intended usage? I've gotten plenty of Tank & Sundy kills with my AV rockets; they are, perhaps, a bit weak but quite usable. OTOH I've gotten exactly none with my AA rockets, but that's defiantly a problem with the extremely poor state of AA in the game. This is one of the reasons I suggested buffing them against vehicles, to make them more useful in their intended role of AV/AA.
  9. Blackiechan

I guess my main point is that people are using it as a crutch.

"Hurr Durr Why would i use an LMG if i can just shoot unlimited rockets??"

and i definitely agree with you Eric Smith
  10. Alpha Squad

There are many times when you don't have unlimited rockets and using them against infantry is a great way to die. If you don't directly contact them you're dead. You hit some of them you are killed by the guy 2 feet behind them. Really, its a fairly big waste to use rockets on softies, their reload time is so large you could deal as much damage within that time as you could with a pistol. If anything the rocket needs a buff because the splash is smaller than a grenade and doesn't even have a forceful push. That being said, if heavies say the gun is too weak and others say it is too powerful, then the weapon is perfectly balanced and shouldn't be touched.
  11. Ghoest

If you are dying to the heavy assault rocket frequently you are bad player.

The guns they/we carry are much more dangerous most of the time. the rocket is mostly for farming dumb noobs who stand still in dumb places.
  12. Atom7

@OP Put it this way, if i run up to you with a Rocket Launcher(something meant for killing tanks) and i hit you with it. It's going to be a OHK
  13. hostilechild

If people are coming in a door, the LMG is best lots of ammo, faster reload. I get 3x the kills with it as rocket spam. Only use rockets if they are hiding to get a little splash in before i gun them down. It is fun sniping a sniper with the G2A rocket :D Teach them to stand still, just like an HA getting shot in the head because they stood still.
    If they made my rockets 1 shot 1 kill on tanks/aircraft dam straight i would pay resources for that!! But 2 to kill when 50% miss wouldn't be worth resources and they will never make them 1 shot 1 kill on vehicles.