the FPS counter says CPU

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Masyaka, May 17, 2016.

1. Masyaka

I have my processor loaded only to 50-80%, game says that CPU doesnt allow my fps go to 30 = get rekt by recruits that camp generators.

Does it also means my RAM that i dont have enough of?
  2. Stigma

No, CPU only means CPU.

You no doubt have multiple cores on your CPU that run in parallel, and it is very hard/impossible to perfectly multithread an application to use 100% of all CPU resurces across all cores when the load is dynamic and interactive such as in a game. That is why games can easily be CPU limited while not using 100% of your CPU. It is maxing out one of the cores and it needs more resources on THAT core - but there are none to be had - and the other threads have to wait on results from that thread before they can move forward.

I'm afraid it's not as simple as 4 cores of 2Ghz each equaling a single core running at 8Ghz :)

4GB ram works for PS2. It's not optimal, bu it shouldn't prevent you from getting a good framerate. If it does anything it will maybe occationally stutter because it needs to load in something, but otherwise it doesn't affect the framerate.

The simple truth is that you need a good CPU to run PS2. Not an expensive CPU though ... because you can buy something like an 2500K used for next to nothing and OC it trivially easy to 4Ghz+ and that will run the game just fine. That's the same one I still use. But - if you try to run to run this game with some older mid-end AMD it's just not going to run fast. PS2 is extremely CPU-limited (and for the record, turning down visual settings does generally NOT help when your FPS counter says CPU).

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  3. Gundem

But my heart says GPU
    • Up x 3
  4. Masyaka

Its not getting to 30 fps while alone before it reaches 2.1 GB RAM. How im gonna force my CPU to run the game ?
    So game says i need 1 core with 8 MHz? **** you.:confused:
    It was avable at 32x systems and now it needs THIS? I wish they will make an optimization for multi-core PCs.:mad:

All i want is stable 15-20 FPS. I dont need these XxX-epic-graphics-XxX that are optimized for 4K monitors that rich parens buy for their luckass kids.
  5. Lureh

Something that might help:
    force ALL programms on your pc to run on the first core and allow planetside ONLY to run on the remaining cores (2,3,4).
  6. XanIves

Your CPU is running the game as best as it can. Unless you're gonna overclock your CPU massively, which I wouldn't recommend your doing without extensive experience with OC'ing, there's nothing you can do short of upgrading your CPU. While there are a number of tweaks to make the game easier on your GPU, there really aren't any ways of reducing the CPU's load. Maybe turning down your maximum number of voice channels, that could probably help a tiny bit.

Also, the game IS optimized for Multi-Core PCs. However, it does so by dividing up certain game processes like particles, player locations, hitboxes, doritos, and such to run on certain different cores. However, calculating the Doritos over people's heads is harder than rendering a few particles, so the core that has the Doritos on it will be under more load than the one with particles. Combine this with the varied environments, graphics settings, and engagements that PS2 will be forced to handle, and it's no wonder that the cores aren't perfectly distributed. What this means is that you will inevitably have certain cores maxed out and other running at relatively low load, due to the different requirements of the processes running on each core.

This isn't a PS2 exclusive trait, as there are only a few games out there that put a massive amount of effort into perfectly optimizing their games for multi-core CPUs, Battlefield is the only example I can think of right now. Almost every game runs better with a few high performance cores than with a ton of low performance cores, which is why Intel CPUs are slaying the gaming market today.
    • Up x 1
  7. Stigma

No, I didn't say that. That was a very obvious (I though) hypothetical example to explain the principle.

The game IS multithreaded. It DOES use multiple cores, but your CPU can never reach 100% utilization over multiple cores unless you can perfectly balance the workload of those threads - and in a dynamic interactive workload that is practically impossible to achieve. Any multithreaded game that is CPU-bound will never reach 100% utilization for exactly the same reason. There is nothing special about PS2 in this regard.

What is unusual about PS2 is simply that it requires a lot of CPU and not so much GPU. Most games are the other way around, but PS2 has so many entities to track that there is just a lot of gamelogic needed.

There is no way around having a decent CPU if you want to run large battles well. You haven't told us what you have now, but if you really get 30FPS or less then it sounds pretty old. As I said I run an old 2500K @ 4,3Ghz and I usually keep a solid 60 even in decent sized battles.

-Stigma
  8. sIcGER

i can run this game fine with an intel i5 3470 and my ooooold trusty geforce 9800gt ge

your hardware just seems to be too old/bad to handle this game

you should post your system specs ;)
    • Up x 1
  9. Shiaari

I need additional information to assist you, namely, what processor are you using?
  10. AtckAtck

Some info about your hardware would have been nice...

The game is 64 Bit for quite some time now. And runs pretty well on multicore systems.
    So pulling a statement like that out of thin air won't help you and is plain wrong.

The truth is: It is very system heavy as a whole, and not very good optimized. This doesn't mean that it runs bad on mulicore CPUs.
    Also you know that if a cpu reaches constant 100% you won't have any resources free to register your inputs anymore?
    Really try some test like prime-95 and see your mouse getting jumpy because of the processor not having enough resources to process even the simplest inputs, having to queue them.
    I really don't like it when accusations are made with no background of any kind, wen in truth your hardware is probably just old, bad and cheap.

So only thing I can recommend for you now is: turn off shadows, turn off fauna in the .ini, minimize view distance.

(I run the game well at 120 fps (if I turn off vsync), but I don't have no 250 bucks wholesale PC...)
  11. Towie

I see people assuming 4 cores etc. but I haven't seen the actual CPU being used ?
  12. Masyaka

Tutorial?

"Unless you're gonna overclock your CPU massively, which I wouldn't recommend your doing without extensive experience with OC'ing, there's nothing you can do short of upgrading your CPU"

How to do this?
  13. Masyaka

Oh, wait, found that thing about cores.
  14. Towie

What processor and motherboard do you currently have ?

Some overclock great - some cannot overclock at all - it all depends.

Upgrading a CPU can be quite easy but you need to make sure you get the right type AND that the motherboard BIOS actually supports it; you need to do some research before pumping any cash into it.
  15. AtckAtck

Setting Core Affinity will not solve your Problem, it will make it worse.
    Excluding a whole Processor from calculating for the game will not make it better.
    But please try it and see for yourself.

Seriously Post your System Information now plz, otherwise it is not possible to help you.
  16. Masyaka

Processor:AMD A4/A6/A8/A10 2 cores
    MotherBoard:Hewlett-Packard 184A (Socket FT1)
    RAM:4GB (3,5 avable, game eats 2.1)
    System: Win.7 ultimate 64-bit

+render distance 200m

that sucks but allows me to run the game at some performance, with laggy moments, main thing i hate.

all i want is to take out the lag spikes and have stable 10-15 fps, NOTHING more.
  17. AtckAtck

It's a wonder you are getting around 30 fps with a 2 core cpu at all.
    (My old 4 core would drop to 10. *haha*)

Not much you can do, other than decrease anything that eats a lot of cpu power ingame. That would have been the options I already told you.

(And on a personal note: HP products are 100% Rip-off's; bad hardware sold seemingly cheap, but taking into account how rubbish most of their mainboards, mower supply and other "not well known by everybody" parts are, then they are pretty expensive. Build one yourself (or let build) and you will be cheaper a lot in comparison to the hp bundles with a lot of unneeded nonsense. )
    • Up x 1
  18. Towie

Ahh - that's not good i'm afraid !

Socket FT1 is a BGA (ball grid array) which means - processor is soldered onto the motherboard, so upgrading isn't an option. No amount of additional RAM (or anything else) will make up for the sluggish processor.

Others have posted some good performance guides previously - worthwhile seeking them out and adjusting the settings to make it as good as possible for you - but nothing is going to give you a smooth experience, unfortunately...
  19. Masyaka

i heard they are using :mad: client-sided calculating:mad: (how can 1 server carry and calculate 1500x4 players at once ?), mb they will add an option to make host machine calculate instead of you (for those like me who has pcs out of trash). They would easily get better online = more P2Ps (as they like to offer us):rolleyes:

Hope they read the forum.

I've already lowered all setting down as possible, cpu load 100% non-stop with both cores (tried to use 1 core to run the game and another 1 to all other programmes, thats working like i have a 1970 first host machine without RAM)
    do someone have a way to deal with client-sided calculating? :(
  20. TeknoBug

Once you enter fights with 48-96 or more, the game becomes CPU bound no matter what, happened a lot on my OC'd i7 3770K and happens on my i3 6100.

This is normal for MMO games to heavily tax the CPU.

* oh AMD, typical for FPS drops like that, with my FX 8320E it dropped ot 18fps in biolab fights, 12fps on FX 4350. I don't use AMD systems for gaming anymore. :p