The Engineer Rant

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by smoke eater, Apr 16, 2013.

1. smoke eater

To all non-engineers who post and tell us how we should do our jobs:

Ammo:
    If you call for ammo, stay in one area. If you say you want ammo and expect us to not only chase you but to somehow read your mind about where ammo should be place, you will have a bad time. We have to switch to supply mode, find a spot that we can put the ammo down and then wait three seconds for it to appear. You cover a lot of distance in that time and frankly, I am not chasing you. I may have already placed ammo down and am resupplying others. If you can't be bothered to look at your mini-map and find the closest ammo that was dropped, then it is your fault. If there is no ammo around, then ask for it, but if three engineers have dropped ammo and you run past them crying for ammo..... it is your tough luck. Check your mini-map, there is probably three or four places to get ammo

Repairs:
    A) Vehicles:
    if we are repairing you, try to hold still. Driving away while we try to repair you wastes our time and yours. We can tell if you are taking damage, we see your armour dropping so how about driving somewhere a little safer instead of trying to get those last few shots in and hoping we can repair you before you blow up. Also, perhaps find where we are repairing you from (front, back or side) and then avoid turning and moving in that direction. Getting run over by you while we are trying to fix you up tends to make us less responsive to your pleas of repair. Also think of the location of where you are when you call for a repair, if you are camping right in front of the enemy spawn then do not call for repairs. Why do we want an invite to die with you? Go somewhere a little safer since our attention is now on you and repairs instead of on who is coming up behind us.

B) MAX's:
    We can repair you and give you ammo. We will be your friend. That being said, stop calling for repairs while you run all over the battlefield. Yeah, you may be in a push against the enemy but we can't repair while we are running. Most likely we have our repair tool out to fix you up and running into the enemy like that is death for us. You want repairs, find somewhere and wait. Make it a room or something, but if you are running around a bio lab calling for repairs, you will not get repaired. You have to hold still. Especially since our repair tool is finicky and your movements can break the beam.

C) Defend us:
    We are repairing you, which means that we have our aim on you and not the enemy. We don't have a weapon in our hands, we have our repair tool which does nothing against someone shooting at us. Keep an eye open on what may be attacking us instead of focusing on killing someone in the distance. When I get knifed in the back while repairing someone's vehicle or MAX, it pisses me off. You seriously suck if you allow me to get a KNIFE in the back while I try to do something for you. Killing them after they killed me doesn't make me feel better.

Turrets:
    If I have a turret deployed and I am manning it then I have a line of sight on where the enemy may be coming from. Feel free to join me in shooting them, but stay to the sides or crouch down if you are going to go in front of me, especially when you hear the noise of the turret firing. The amount of times I have been firing only to have a friendly jump over me into my bullets is unbelievable. I can't believe people are that stupid, but it happens many times over and over again. Stay away from the front of turrets, especially when I am firing. Eventually I will get tired and just mow you down while trying to get the enemy instead of stopping, waiting for you to move out of the way before I can resume (especially since this gives any heavy enemy time to arm a rocket and fire it at me).

Capped Bases:
    After a base is capped engineers have lots of things to repair. Turrets, generators, SCU's etc. How about hanging around once a base is capped and secure the area while the engineers do their jobs? Too many times people are so caught up running to the next point that they don't care about remaining enemies or satellite bases. You have just pushed the enemy away from a base, how about making sure that the satellite bases are secured instead of running off to the next base to get XP? I really have fixing up generators and turrets only to have the enemy that was previously forced out to return. Now it is myself and the other few straggling engineers that have to defend the base. All seven of us die really quickly when multiple squads come marching back in. We have AI and AT mines. How about securing the area and then have us lay our mines down and then move on? We can at least delay the recapture of the base?

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add to them.
    • Up x 23
  2. NaySayer

I would like to put emphasis on clearing the area and defending engies when they finish repairing after the base is capped. I myself don't play engie much, but it is amazing how everyone will immediately move on the second a base is captured. I usually find myself and maybe 2-4 others staying behind and helping the engies. There is no point in capping a base if you're not going to secure it!!!!!
    I usually play LA and Infiltrator and always help out the engies with cover.
    • Up x 3
  3. Ganjis

You're leaning on an open door, posting that here mate ;)
  4. smoke eater

Not that worried. Even if people start slamming this post it doesn't really matter. I know there are many engineers that are just as annoyed with the items above, and they probably have more to add. After reading a couple posts of people telling us how to play I figure I would let them know what our character class experiences.
  5. Mogsy

mate, you hit the nail on the head, especially repairing moving targets, shooting idiots who jump in front, and getting left almost solo to repair large bases unprotected. medics need to be situation aware, lets revive the engineer so he can die in the line of fire again.....:(

to all the ID10T players in PS2, are you reading and understanding??
  6. NaySayer

As far as I'm aware, none of them read, they only complain about not getting enough certs and other ppl ruining their kd ratio....

The name of this game is teamwork, and most of those who play think this is call of duty.
    • Up x 1
  7. smoke eater

Well, I have another beef.... unfortunately.

Moronic vehicle drivers:
    You know the ones. They rush the enemy and then when they realize they are too far over their head back up and run over anybody behind them, especially an engineer who may be trying too help them. Or those guys who want to camp right in front of the enemy spawn area and spam the enemy with shells against a shield that lets people shoot out but not in, which means the enemy can hurt you but you can't hurt them. They sit in plain view for all rocket toting HA and engineers hoping for a kill drooling on their keyboard because they think they have the skillz. They also expect a flock of engineers to constantly be repairing them and get angry when those repairs don't come. They rant when their vehicle is about to explode and no one is repairing them. They don't care that they chose a stupid place to park or that their exploding carcass is going to take out any engineer who is trying to keep them alive, they have skillz and want to kill some noob and feel good about themselves. That is right, I have died numerous times trying to keep a vehicle alive by repairing it only to have it explode and kill me along with it. Park somewhere safe. Also, if you want your sundy to survive, how about staying with it and killing any enemies who approach it, is it your sundy, it is not our responsibility to keep it alive.
    • Up x 3
  8. Bugeyes89

Totally agree. Way too often I am one of the only ones left behind repairing everything, totally vulnerable. :(
    And couldn't agree more with Ganjis. Some dude team killed me once because I didn't drop him more ammo within 5 seconds of him asking... :mad:
    • Up x 2
  9. Ganjis

I was forced to TK a MAX in self-defence once. I was playing as HA, using a Lasher and he kept V-4ing me, standing in my line of sight and eventually started taking odd shots at me. It wasn't exactly self-defence when I S1ed him, but really. Perhaps he expected me to walk back to the AMS that was, oh 75m or so away, switch classes, come back, drop an ammo pack, wait for him to be be full, then go back again to switch back to HA. I suppose I could have done that, but then again, he could have just run over himself and resupplied!!!! Some people are too dangerous to be let out in the real world, I think some of them are unleashed on Auraxis instead.
    • Up x 3
  10. MFP_TK_01

I have really bad luck with shot blockers regardless if I'm using a turret or my rifle. There have even been times when its me, one other guy, and a big wide open field or ridge to shoot from and I still manage to get the second guy to jump right in front of me and my target the second I start shooting.
  11. Mogsy

these long base sieges just highlight how boring its getting capturing points. got TK'ed 6 times in 30 mins from grenade spamming, HA firing missiles into crowds and vehicles running over entire squads.......getting to be damn frustrating. changed from medic to eng to repair our only sundy in the enemy base and 8 friendly guys around me, and none of them could/would help secure the area, and just stood and watch an enemy LA dump C4 all over the truck and then wipe out 4 of us, after 16 deaths in 35 mins i logged out.
  12. CompletelyDeadCoyote

I belive there's not much sense in putting this theme here. It's not for engeniers, but for others. Go place it in Gameplay forum.

Also, i might add: please, dear tank drivers, watch where're you going. In the last couple of weaks i was drived over by you 4 times, while manning a turret. I understand that infantry is hard to notice sometimes... but a freaking turret with an enginier, that shoots rockets? This thing is visible from hundreds of meters! How can't you see it righ in freaking front of you?
  13. Afifikas

They were looking for mines! You know, the AT mines. But now, since its so damn big, cross your fingers and pray the tanks won't drive over you.
  14. NavSpec

Tanks run over you because you cost nothing to respawn whereas they have a timer and a cost to do so. Really, guys, it's not the end of the world to have to respawn.

I say that as both a tanker and a combat engineer.

Also, as a sometimes medic, you have the option to not respawn if you're in the line of fire. It's the medic's job to give you the option, it's up to you if you take it and try to get out alive. Pretty soon, if medics stopped trying to revive people in the line of fire, everyone would be complaining that medics aren't doing their job since the line of fire is almost always wherever the medic is sitting.

The MAX getting pissy and shooting you, though, rubs me the wrong way. Piss off if I don't give you ammo as soon as you want it, I'm probably doing something else. You, Mr. MAX, are not the focus of my life nor would you properly defend me in most cases if I did make you the focus.
  15. mpal

Request:

Can you drop ammo in an intelligent spot, rather than in the middle of no where?
  16. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Emmm... how exactly does that applies to situation, when a tank with full health, not under fire and with clear line of sight drive through me in a damn wide field? I just don't understand.
    Also, it's god damn frustrating - being killed by your mate when you had 1 shot left to blow up some sunderer, and now you need to go on foot all that distance to that spot once again, only to find that enemies have spawnd on that sunderer in such great numbers, that you no longer can kill it by your own. Or to find a bunch of enemies on your spot and die again. And again run somewhere. Not a good experience i might say.
  17. NavSpec

It doesn't. My post didn't say it was the end-all of answers for getting ran over. Sometimes it's "Oops" other times it's just a bad driver while other times it could be a vendetta. I'm saying, in the scope of the discussion which was going on here regarding getting ran over while repairing, that an engineer dying to friendly tank treads is better than a tank dying because he didn't back up due to timer/resource cost.

Again, that doesn't excuse stupidity like what you're describing. But you probably already knew that before you quoted me.
  18. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Oh. May be i'm just too sleepy, so i didn't think about it. In that case - yea, you're right. I didn't ever thought about deaths from tanks, driving back in battles, like it's something to rage about. Also i don't know is it just me, or tank drivers lately started to be more accurate with their movements, while they're being repaired? I can't even remember when was the last time i was killed that way.
  19. MFP_TK_01

Even so, I tank rep from the side. Choose forward or reverse to avoid incoming fire, not stationary rotation.

You mean like right behind you where we normally drop them? They end up being in the middle of nowhere because you run away from them.
  20. Ganjis

Today I road killed a friendly engineer who was repairing my lightning from the side. I was getting hit by an engineer turret, so I looked where the friendly engineer was, checked my rear was clear, and very very very slowly backed up. Somehow, he got instagibbed. Just crazy detection in this game.