The Betelgeuse: Larger clip or less CoF

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Keldred, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Keldred

I have clocked in a decent amount of time with this gun and i have to say i think it needs a tighter CoF rather than a larger clip. As it stands it feels like a vanilla Orion with unlimited ammo and a 30 round clip.

Thoughts?
  2. NCstandsforNukaCola

• Up x 5
  3. Reclaimer77

Can't agree.

It's crucial that a Heavy Assault be able to engage multiple targets, either at once or in quick succession.

NC and TR can do this with pretty much all their LMG's no problem. Trading staying power for unlimited ammo simply isn't worth it.
  4. Crayv

The other directive weapons should to be looked at first. Currently the Betelgeuse is the most used directive weapon by an extremely wide margin. As in, I see it more than all other directive weapons combined and multiplied times two.
    • Up x 5
  5. Onhil

I got the Betelgeuse yesterday and I feel that it is in a very good spot as it is no need to buff it, the other VS direcitves weapons need that ammo buff for sure though.

As for the NC and TR ones they would also need a buff I don't see people using them as much as you see VS doing it
    • Up x 4
  6. Mongychops

The Betelgeuse doesn't really need any buffs.

You give up a little mag size and a fair bit of horizontal recoil (no grip) to get an Orion (a very good LMG), with infinite ammo, and heat based reloading.

It is just about the only directive reward for VS (apart from maybe the sniper rifle) that fulfills the "interesting sidegrade" idea.
    • Up x 3
  7. Erendil

The Betelgeuse is in kind of a weird place. It's got the stats of a CQC LMG but the "mag" size is just a little too small to be able to sustain a push for any significant length of time. At most you only have enough ammo to reliably kill about 4 people before it overheats and you have to break off the engagement and duck back behind cover. Usually it's only 3 if there is any sort of range, if they're HA, if latency causes you to dump way more bullets than needed before you get the "kill" confirmation, etc.

OTOH, the current HEAT/Mag size would make it a great mid-range skirmisher, since mid-range fights usually have more time between kills allowing you to take advantage of the cooldown However, it doesn't have the required ADS accuracy.

So I think it needs its identity crisis resolved. Either slightly increase the # of shots before it overheats, or give it a built-in Comp + Foregrip.

It's really too bad I didn't get a chance to use the Betelgeuse before they revamped it. An Orion w/ 65 rounds + comp + foregrip sounds like it would've been a great weapon, even with the increased COF bloom it had. As it stands now 90% of the time I'd rather have either an Orion for smaller fights, or an SVA-88, Flare w/ Ext mags, or Lasher for larger ones.
  8. Keldred

After getting over 4k kills with the Betelgeuse ive found that the gun has the ammo capacity of a carbine with the CoF of a vanilla Orion. While the heat mechanic is an interesting addition that adds its own particular challenge, its current clip size/CoF keeps the weapon from being effective at anything over 35 yards. While the Orion's effective range is 50/65(with forward grip). The only advantage the gun really has is that it is harder to be caught off guard when reloading. No really a worthwhile reason to aurax 5 LMG's. While if we look at TR/NC directive LMG's they received larger clip size and a ammunition type. VS received an interesting mechanic but i would prefer functionality over a gimmick.
  9. Mongychops

The heat mechanic is a gimmick on the Eclipse and Darkstar, because the already low damage per magazine of those guns is nerfed even more, and the guns already had pretty much the fastest-in-class short reload times anyway.

However, I have to disagree with you on the Betelgeuse:

• It does not have a carbine magazine size, it overheats after ~44 shots of sustained fire, and it only drops 1 damage tier (instead of 2), that is significantly higher damager per magazine.
    • The heat mechanic does address both of the Orion's major weaknesses, a relatively long short reload for its magazine size (3.28s), and a relatively low ammo pool (50/200) for an LMG.
    • So much combat in this game occurs under 25m, where the Betelgeuse is very effective, and unlike a shotgun or SMG, it can still engage targets beyond that range. The fact that the Orion is better at these longer ranges simply means you should use the Orion or SVA-88 when you are expecting to fight at that range.
    • Comparing the Betelgeuse to the TR and NC equivalents is ridiculous. Currently, their auraxium LMGs are weapons that already had a 100 round magazine, so they gain relatively little from a bigger magazine, especially if they have to give up the forward grip to get it. On an average day, players with the Betelgeuse kill about double what the TR and NC kill with their auraxium LMGs put together http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=kills&weapon1=1879&weapon2=1894&weapon3=1924
    I play VS main, I have the Betelgeuse, I do not think it needs buffs for what it is. If it gets a couple of extra rounds before overheat in the next patch, I would be happy, but I think the other weapons deserve attention more.
    • Up x 4
  10. Shanther

The Betelgeuse is just plain stupid with how good the gun is. Resist + ASC + Betelgeuse = Lulz for days.

This is coming from a person who has 9k kills with it.
    • Up x 2
  11. garret0451

facepalm. to people who crying about difference in accuracy at orion with or without grip : go and play tr with carv-S and ns15 against good VS players it will force you to aim good , and if still bad with orion after that -> uninstall game or go play nobrain nc max
  12. AlterEgo

Reduce fire rate, increase damage lost over range, but decrease recoil and CoF. That's what I want, a gun that isn't a Terran weapon disguised as frozen fish.
  13. garret0451

it's already most accurate weapon able kill at 100+m . if you can't kill with it , try shotguns and nc
  14. Keldred

100+ meters hmm you have no idea what your talking about...
  15. garret0451

try short bursts. also after carv-s and tmg is super easy mode
  16. Corezer

Try sucking less.

I can reach further than 65m with a silenced lynx, you are just terrible...

Additionally, the best vanu players (on emerald at least) suffer the majority of their few deaths by being caught reloading, hell even with me that's the majority of my deaths, not straight up gunfights.

So the perk of being able to completely circumvent the reloading process is HUGE if you have the requisite skill to not need a high powered crutch weapon.

I would imagine that is why DA and AC guys still run them, even though they have had aurax for a while on them.
  17. Keldred

Your really going to compair the CoF from a carbine to that of an lmg? You are a special kind of stupid. I can pop targets at 65 meters with my serpent but it is whole differant class of weapon. Explain to me how that applys champ? Btw you should work on getting you score per min higher before you go calling someone terrible.
  18. w00zie

Wow you managed to pick the one weapon that killed twice as many people than both TR/NC directive weapons put together (http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/ pick LMG) and critize it....that is quite insolent.

Just be glad that this thing is based on the Orion and not on the T)....
    • Up x 1
  19. AlterEgo

I just hate the weapon; I don't have it yet. It's an ORION... with less accuracy and more recoil, with NO options to improve either. I wanted a Polaris to be my Auraxium weapon, not the Terran weapon disguised as fish.
  20. Keldred

The T? Anyway I criticize it because While the other directive weapons received a clip boost and ammo type the Betelgeuse got a reduced clip reduced accuracy for unlimited ammo. Not a good trade. Sure if i manage the heat well enough i get a quicker reload. But i cant suppress a door. i cant stand my ground against more than 2 targets. While the butcher or godsaw can shoot for days. The Betelgeuse can take out a top of two targets with one "clip" if their close. I dont know why people don't use the other directive LMG's but they are stupid for not doing so. You may ask why i still use the Betelgeuse then. I use it because i spent all the time unlocking the freaking thing. Im gonna make it work if its the last thing i do.