Terrible FPS Drop

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BallOfPanda, Jan 18, 2016.

1. BallOfPanda

2. Pfundi

Theres several other threads about this very issue, but here we go:
    Is your game using the GPU 100% and the first 4-6 cores of the CPU to like 90%? (Windows task manager to check)
    There is some hotfix for a potential CPU issue posted in other threads, not ideal, but helps some people:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/410ig4/temporary_fix_for_the_100_cpu_issue/ (thanks ObiVanu, youre my only hope)
    • Up x 1
  3. Pandora's Lunchbox

My PC will run PlanetSide 2 on almost all Medium settings with a Render Quality of 100%;
    Windows 7 x64bit, Service Pack 1

AMD Athlon II x250 Dual-core Processor, 3000Mhz
    8GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7700 Series, 2GB

Normally, I have to put up with some nasty lag - both in long streaks and in heavy spikes. I was instructed by a user on here to download a program called Process Explorer for Windows - using this has allowed me amazing performance on my current graphics settings in PlanetSide. The process of 'sorting' the performance with this program is 'killing' threads within a given process (PlanetSide 2); the 'problem' threads that hog a lot of CPU attention. Works for me.

My advice is to wait for this to blow over - but be ready for a bit of a wait, as it seems a bit more serious than the usual **** Daybreak put up with in bugged releases.
  4. BallOfPanda

Thank you, using process explorer I was able to get my settings back to Ultra. Took a few tries to kill the right threads (killing the wrong ones caused the game to crash) but I've got the hang of it.
  5. user101

OK - I read the Reddit response from the DEV's - So should the DEV's BAN you from the game for killing the thread .....?
    The DEV's say you need those threads -- So that would make you a cheater then.

Just because you don't like the graphics does not mean it's wrong in what it is doing.
  6. ObiVanuKenobi

Those are scaleform threads, they are related to the UI not graphics.
    How can that be considered cheating? Fixing whatever they screwed up last patch is cheating? Makes no sense at all.
  7. Lord_Mogul

Especially if the only other option is to not play at all.

But if the threads are really neccesacy (which doesn't seem so), and DB prohibit killig these threads, then there would be no computer currently in existence that is able to play the game without stutter.
    I still see horrible performacne when I play for some hours. And my CPU is anything but weak. And for some years the market sutiation was basically a quasi monopoly without real competition. So the annual performance increase with new CPUs is small im comparison to most of the personal computer history.
  8. Pandora's Lunchbox

Isn't it awesome? I went for months putting up with the stuttering and hitching and then someone pointed me to a thread in these forums describing how to use the program.
    #LifeSaved

If you've seen some of my posts before on here then you might know that I type a lot - so imagine what my Support Tickets must be like...I sent one in describing everything I was doing surrounding the Process Explorer - including that it was not a hacking tool. They pretty much ignored everything I said.

On a related note, I sent them everything I had observed for my issues (game crash on death bugs) - you know, trying to help broaden the problems they've probably already had described to them. I supplied them with two DXDiag files (one for 32bit, one for 64bit) and one MSInfo file. As mentioned, I told them everything about the Process Explorer - what it does and how it has helped me so greatly. Do you know what their response was?

"I'm very sorry to inform you that your computer does not meet the minimum requirements to successfully play PlanetSide 2 without issue.

Many crashing or performance issues are caused because the system does not meet the minimum requirements to run the game in question. A computer that does not meet the minimum requirements will not reliably run the game. Many times the computer will run the game intermittently or it may just cease to run after an update.

We always recommend meeting or exceeding the recommended requirements to experience the best game play possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

So, this is what I have learned over the many times I have contacted the support desk; Daybreak literally don't give a toss about their customers and would rather have their support workers blame only the players for any faults with the game - even in the event that they brought the problems about.

What had he read, I hear? Well, here's a snippet...

"I am currently a user of the 'Process Explorer' program for Windows 7 - I use this to end threads in the PlanetSide 2 process that exceed 20-30% CPU usage (according to instructions found in one of the forum's threads). I am led to believe that these threads cause the lags that I, at least, experience, otherwise. This is meant to alleviate symptoms of heavy lag and massive frame-rate drops at the expense of whatever the threads cover [you know, in other words, "the problem is your threads, mate. Here's my feedback as well as others"...]; and I can say, without a doubt, it works like a charm. I never have to 'kill' any more than two threads [meaning, there are, at most, two problem threads] - however, this is something of a rarity as I usually only require 'killing' one. If, for any reason, you would be interested in this program and what threads I am referring to, I can, of course, get to recording them to see if they are always the same thread(s) to pinpoint any faults. The game has not needed these threads to operate otherwise normally and I can say this with months of my game-time to back it all up. While playing, I have noticed nothing different when 'killing' these threads (apart from the obvious performance increases).

I understand that you would probably recommend against doing this, but, for the past several months, this has been enabling me to play the game with great performance - even for my rig - which does not even meet your current minimum specifications [so, like - thanks for ******* paraphrasing me, dumb-***], unless they have recently changed. I play the game on almost full medium settings at 100% render quality at a resolution of 1260x768. I have provided both a DXDIAG and an MSINFO file, which you can use as proof should you not believe me. I strongly believe that I could play similarly well on even higher graphical settings, but I opt not to do so for my system's sake."

He even received my MSInfo as proof. What, does he think I've been lying? The game has been playing well for months, for me.

Anyway, that's my rant over.