Tell SOE What You Think of ZOE - Before It's Too Late!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Myka, May 18, 2013.

1. Myka

The great majority of reactions to the Vanu ZOE module currently on the Test Server have been negative. Whether it be on reddit, here on the PS2 forums, and even on Twitter - the message is clear.

Most Vanu players DO NOT WANT ZOE. It is, and has been from the start, a dull, uninspired ability with myriad problems.

• It actively goes against the grain of current MAX usage by making it weaker. This is the worst part of all.
    • The damage increase is almost pointless. One less bullet to kill on infantry weapons at level 5, and currently no effect whatsoever on AV weapons. Compare to the huge fire-rate (and concurrent DPS) increase under Lockdown. What damage increase does level 1 get, 1/5th of a bullet? Facepalm.
    • It's been confirmed that the sprint agility buff currently on Test will be removed - making the module's agility a negligible advantage at best, and certainly nowhere near as effective as the current sprint, making it worthless in that respect.
    • IT GLOWS AND ******* SPARKLES, lighting the user up like an xmas tree and making them a very obvious target. 'Oh look, a ZOE MAX, easy meat'. Have they been taking design lessons from Twilight for Pete's sake? A SPARKLY MAX? Vanu help us. :(
    Most of you know this already. Nearly every Vanu I've talked to, as well as on forums/etc the world over have an incredibly negative perception of the ZOE module. We do not want it. In terms of power and utility, Lockdown and the Aegis Shield beat it hands down, by a massive margin. It is nowhere near comparable in power, and nowhere near comparable in utility.

Neither does it speak to any of the Vanu's supposed traits (beyond agility, and all MAXes get the Sprint, which is far superior). It feels like we've been given the ZOE module simply because the devs couldn't think of anything more interesting, which, considering VS are the 'alien technology' faction, is beyond a joke.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? WE'RE GETTING IT ANYWAY.

That's right. Whether we like it or not, it seems ZOE is going through. Despite the reams of negative feedback, despite the clear power imbalance between the other two abilities, despite the complete lack of utility. So many decent suggestions have been made for replacement abilities (short duration cloaks, short-range teleports, jump-jets... the list goes on), and every single one of them has been ignored.

SOE supposedly listen to our feedback - and in some cases, they do. But not here, not with ZOE. No matter how much we've said we hate it, we're getting it anyway.

THIS HAS TO CHANGE.

This is not a petition, since such things are not allowed on these forums. Instead, what I'd like you to do is air your opinions on the module here, in this thread. Maybe if we get enough people's feedback on the worthless thing in one place, they might reconsider - and put ZOE back on the drawing board where it belongs.

I honestly don't know what else to do. As a VS player since beta, I'm tired of getting the short end of the stick every time there's a game update. First it was the weakest ESRL (which had to be buffed to be even slightly effective), then it was the weakest MAX AV weapons (the utterly useless Vortex, while they get Fractures/Ravens), and now it's the ZOE module. Again and again we get stuffed, and I am sick of it. No wonder VS players are leaving the game in droves. Our 'technology' is purple bullets and floaty tanks - that's the best we can come up with.

So, Vanu - tell SOE how you feel about ZOE. Tell it like it is. It's our last chance at getting rid of this ludicrous, uninspiring, sparkly pink disco power - so give it all you've got. Remember to stay constructive, offer suggestions for a replacement ability, offer ways (if there are any) it could be improved. We have to let SOE know that we don't want the ZOE module, or we'll be stuck with it forever more.

Maybe if we get enough feedback in one place, SOE will actually listen - like they always say they do.

Time for them to prove it.
    • Up x 24
  2. WalrusJones

Shotgun wielding captain america, and Goku dual it out all over Auraxis while man stands still.

More news at 11:00
    • Up x 10
  3. Thrud007

Agree. ZOE is terrible as it is now. The pink disco lights, being a weaker MAX, and the very slight damage increase, Big woop. I wish we could get the jump jets back. The other factions got their PS1 powers back. But No, not Vanu for some reason.
    • Up x 2
  4. Nariquo

so let me think.

vanu
    they get a damage and speed buff. but can get more damage
    tr
    get a speed and reload bufff, dont get more damage but cant move

nc
    get a SHIELD.
    so let me tell you something.
    YOU POOR VANU THINK REALLY YOU ARE IN A BAD POSITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    as long as the nc shield cant reflect missles and shots i think you cant be sad ABOUT ANYTHING!!!!
    • Up x 1
  5. Myka

This is supposedly because it would 'ruin the Light Assault class'.

This of course, is absolute rubbish. I'd take jump jets over ZOE in a heartbeat, and I bet a lot of VS would as well.
    • Up x 3
  6. Fned

At first I thought it was a lame idea, but then Stew360 posted this video:

Now I think it's a GREAT idea.
    • Up x 1
  7. Myka

At the risk of engaging with a potential troll...

Shield MAXes - tons of utility. Hell you could have whole Roman-style Phalanxes of MAXes pushing through a facility, with a core of Engis/Medics in the middle.

Lockdown MAXes. Despite all the complaining about being stuck in one place, it takes about 2 seconds to deploy/undeploy, so if you're threatened, you'll bug out sharpish, Lockdown or not. For that you get a huge ROF increase, which will make TR MAXes incredibly powerful in defensive situations. Again - tons of potential utility.

And ZOE? We move a bit quicker. We do one bullet's worth of extra damage. And we take more damage while using it, which goes against everything we currently use MAXes to do. Oh, and we sparkle like happy little Twilight vampires. It does nothing that we don't already do, and actively makes us weaker while we're doing it.

I'd take Lockdown or the Aegis Shield over ZOE any day.
  8. Nariquo

well you know what.
    you are right.
    this ability is ****.
    NERV IT AND REDUCE THE DAMAGE BUFF :)

ps: it will be nerved a week later. sorry my little vanus
  9. moooosa

I'm unimpressed across the board. What happened to the MAX "redesign?" Really uninspired abilities here. :(

SOE needs to stop tweaking variables and start actually developing the gameplay. (Please.)
    • Up x 4
  10. Nariquo

ok look what will happen.

first:
    flying over terran bases or being attaked by terran will be a hell for ESF. because every max will be standing their with their speed bufff and will shoot the planes out of the air.
    i dont want to imaging what happens if a good platoon of terrans defend a biolab.

then:
    everywhere there will be jumping glowing vanu maxes and will shoot tanks and infantry to shreds. beclieve me will happen.

and THEN:
    only good organized outfits will be able to handle the SHIELD.

the result:

the problem isnt WHAT CAN YOU DO with the ability.
    no want will the causal player do.
    the vanu and tr ability are noob friendly.
    the NC ability needs teamwork.
  11. Bape

You gonna be kidding me? you think VS got it worse? fuken NC get a trash *** fuken shield.
  12. Outreach

It's already too late. We're getting ZOE whether we want it or not.

You'll take your obnoxious pink glowing, rainbow beam shooting, high heel wearing max and you'll like it.
    • Up x 4
  13. WarmasterRaptor

Maybe only saying "No" to their current planned ability is not enough for them the devs to change their minds about that skill. Suggesting another could help to change what's going to be implemented.

An example would be an activated ability like "Plasma Burst" that charges up when receiving enemy damages (not to be abused with the help of friendlies) and when activated, release a burst of plasma energy all around the MAX or only directed in front, damaging enemies in the area of effect. The accumulated charge is timed so you got to use it before it dissipates. That's just an idea thrown randomly, I know it's not really a good one, but it's just to throw something to replace the zoe. Could even keep the name though!
    • Up x 2
  14. Nariquo

well in that case.
    please make it possible that nc can throw their shield like a bumerang which kills planes and tanks and go back to the max after it again?
    because we dont like our ablity like the vanu neither.
    thx soe
  15. Myka

That's a very cool idea - thanks for posting! Sadly, lots of different ideas for the module, or a replacement, have been put forward in the various ZOE threads, and not one of them even got a 'hey, that might work - we'll look into it'.

That's why I've made this thread. It's the last chance we're likely to get to be able to collate all the ideas and all the feedback in enough numbers to actually convince the developers to scrap ZOE and start from scratch. I really, really do not want to be stuck with ZOE for the rest of the game's lifespan when TR & NC get abilities that are actually useful.

I don't hold out much hope, sadly, but I have to try! VS should not just 'put up' with ZOE, like we have to with all our other poorly implemented concepts - not when this game will be around for years.
  16. Van Dax

We came up with hundreds of suggestions. They ignored the suggestions. There were 40 pages of suggestions in the roadmap section.
    • Up x 2
  17. WarmasterRaptor

The NC shield should allow the use of the other arm... I don't know why the MAX pilot thinks it's a good idea to abandon all hope of fighting back and go all "Hit me! I like it! I won't even answer!" I mean with this idea, you cut your firepower IN HALF to gain a defense buff... with the planned shield, you get to negate your firepower to eat damage.
    • Up x 1
  18. WarmasterRaptor

Oh, well, sorry for posting like nobody thought about it :oops: I haven't checked in the roadmap before talking here... :confused:
  19. NoctD

I quite like the ZOE - easy on/off switch, and at least you're still totally mobile unlike TR's gluedown mode. A bit disappointed they're removing the movement bonus of it though.

Also with Bursters, when I tested them, they take a bunch less rounds to kill an ESF... so in this usage the ZOE actually works rather well.

As for pink glow, c'mon SOE, it should be the standard Vanu green. WTH is up with the pink?!
  20. Nariquo

in my opinion SOE make the game with every new weapons and ability worse and more unblanaced.
    but SOE go on :)
    you will see the whining in the forums on thursday.
    especially from pilots.
    because after that update the sky will be clear :)