Tank mines vs. C4

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Lincoln E, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Lincoln E

I was saving up for C4, but I was wondering if anyone thought that tank mines or infantry mines were better? Can C4 destroy a sunderer? Sidenote: I have a decked out Pandora (I play Vanu), but does anyone have a better gun they can suggest? Thanks:)
  2. Lincoln E

Forgot to mention- I dont care about ammo efficiency (for the gun), as I have the ammo package.
  3. VKhaun

C4 needs three packs to pop a sunderer I believe, so that's two plus you need to give up the suit slot for one more.

The VX6-7 is one of the best guns in the game. With a double laser sight to give you excellent hip fire out to medium range, then you can either put softpoint in it to maximize that, or use the hip fire up close to let you put a scope on it to shoot longer range as well.
  4. Hazzelinko

It is not a good idea to use C4 with Engineer, it is more of a Light Assault unlock and also, 1 or even 2 C4's doesn't destroy a sunderer. If you are looking for something that does destroy it, if I remember correctly, use two anti tank mines and plant it under the vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  5. Wraithscar

C4 is more useful for popping stationary targets like lighter vehicles sitting still or generators. It's a niche ability really. Tank mines or even infantry mines are better for general use.
  6. Skadi

2 C4 doesnt even compare to the power of 1 AT mine, and ontop of that to get 2 C4 it costs almost twice as much as to get 2 AT mines.

Ontop of that C4 is buggy as ****, its known to sometimes do 0 damage, it takes far too long to throw the second charge, and after that it takes even longer to detonate the charges, by time you throw the 2nd charge most infantry take notice and waste your 180 points worth of C4 you just threw.
    • Up x 1
  7. Mohd Faris

C4 is a waste of certs for Engineers.

Its sucks because it is less damage compare to tank mines and u need to cert another 500 certs for 3 C4 and the resource is high compare to tank mines.

U better cert tank mines for engineers or you will regret trust me.

C4 is better in Light Assault so don't cert C4 in Engineer class!!
    • Up x 1
  8. Juunro

I've had good use with C4 on my engineer. Less damage then tank mines, but more utility.
  9. Zcuron

I've never understood why the engineer doesn't by default have an additional charge of C4, seeing as he's the explosives expert.

To get three C4 an engineer needs to spend 900 certs and use his suit slot for the purpose, quite steep when compared to the 300 certs required for 3 AT mines, or 100 for two. (900 +suit slot for 4)

Here's a radical idea, put the utility pouch in the grenade slot.
    Also make C4 cheaper for engineer. (both resource and cert cost)

Also halve AT mine damage & resource cost, and double the count you can carry.
    These changes will make AT mines a decent area-denial tool, make the engineer choose between grenades and additional explosives, and make C4 worth a damn for the engineer - I think these changes make sense but I'm sure there're some problems which I am soon to be informed about.
    • Up x 2
  10. InducedApathy

Honestly stay away from C4 on engineer. Technically engi with all three plus ammo pouch is the best option out of the classes but C4 is much better on your light assault. Light assault is pretty lackluster they have no tools or specials besides a jetpack. The jetpack makes all the difference with c4 placement though. I can get c4 on those hard to reach vehicles and areas with an LA. The blast radius is tiny on C4 it's much easier to nab kills with ap mines or setting off your own at mines. C4 costs way more certs since you need at least two to make it useful. It's just not worth it for most people.
  11. o.Solei.o

In addition to all the other points listed here, doing "bombing runs" on sundies with AT mines instead of C4 also benefits from them being fire and forget. If you get killed placing your C4, you have to wait to respawn to detonate it, giving them enough time to relocate. Mines will just go off regardless. Even better, if your prey runs or you miss horribly, you've still mined the area. And lastly, combined with sticky nades, you can do pretty much everything with AT mines you can do with C4 as an engi.
  12. Soylad

I wasted the certs on C4 as an Engineer and am VERY disappointed that I did. Before I got AT mines, I had C4 and found an empty Vanguard at a position. It took me 4 bricks of C4 top almost kill it. I had to respawn as a HA to pop it with a rocket launcher to finish it off. I was expecting it to take 3 bricks, but when it actually would have taken 5-6 to kill it, I was very disappointed. I'd be really annoyed if I had also wasted the certs in Utility Pouch except that I need level 2 Pouch to get my 3rd AT mine so it wasn't wasted.
  13. Xebov

You did something wrong, or something went wrong for you. From my experience its like the following List.

1 C4
    Infantry (MAX if they stay close), Flash, Fighter

2 C4
    Tanks

3 C4
    Sunderer (is burning after 2)

4 C4
    Galaxy

Gunship should be 2 C4.

I like C4, currently saving up for my 4th. Its a Tool for the right moments.
  14. RblDiver

I would say AT mines are usually better, unless the vehicle has mineguard.

I frequently will suicide run at vehicles. Sometimes one mine will kill them (I suspect they have previous damage), but 2 definitely will (mineguard excluded, though most people seem not to use it). Do note that if you're dropping them at the bottom of a stationary sundy, if you're not directly engaged it's best to drop one, run away and wait till it blows, then go back and drop the second. Otherwise, right after you drop the second, the first will blow both and kill you. You'll get the vehicle, but you'll be dead.
  15. Vortok

I would gladly give up my frag grenade for the ability to put another utility item in the grenade slot. Having both mines available, or mines and C4, ammo pack + whatever.

Not sure I'd give up Flak armor, though. Hrm.
    • Up x 1
  16. Tapioca Express

i gave up flak armor for the utility belt this saterday and i do not regret it at all. Majority of the time you will be killed by bullets, the very few times enemies use bouncy betties/proxy mines is very low compared to the times you wish you had a 4th mine because there was 2 vehicles in the area and they weren't close enough to kill them both with just 2 mines.

Yes flak armor helps against tank and air spam, but generally when it gets to that point you already lost that zone so its more time efficient to just claymore the spawn and redeploy. I've also been placing my tank mines/c4 at the edge of the blast radius of my claymores. It creates a bigger kill radius when lemmings rush in.
  17. Takoita

If you put a claymore on a waist-high object (crate and the like), would it still work?
  18. Foefaller

...unless you take advantage of thier adhesive properties and place them right on the vehicle in question, then it doesn't matter how far they move; As long as you got enough on it, as soon as you respawn, it is gone. :D

In any case, the catchword for C4 is "Versatility." You use it like proximity mines/claymores, and plant some at a cap point and blow it when it starts flashing, or a blown generator and set it off when someone is repairing, or drop some at your feet when running away and suprise the first one to follow you... or you can use it like tank mines, and set them in the path or on the backs of vehicles and set it off from a distance. The downside is that you have to set them off by remote, they cost 100 certs per instead of 75 and, at least compared to tank mines, it can take more to acomplish the same amount of explosive carnage.
  19. Narutobieber

Mine guard counters tank mines, nothing counters C4
  20. gunshooter

But c4 takes much longer to place and activate while 2 mines can be deployed in 0.5 seconds, and they will also trigger automatically.