Tank mines vs. C4

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Lincoln E, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Narutobieber

there is like a 5 second delay to mines activating after you place them down, you can place mines right next to a slowly moving vehicle and it can move out of the way and the mines not explode if it is quick enough.

Again, mineguard can reduce mine damage by 70% so even with 3 mines, it will only take a sunderer down to about half hp.
  2. gunshooter

And c4 can never ever kill a sunderer, even one with 0 certs invested. You'll also die before getting it off far more often than you will with mines.
  3. irishroy

heeeyyyhooo
    2x C4 in the back of an sundy and ca-booom
    C4 is better, cause you have more utility

make a MAX angry and follow you, you run into a building, drop some C4, wait Ca-booom
    go for C4, C4 is for inafantry and vehicles and air-planes

C4 is for people who wanna troll, AT-mines are for serious men doing their business

:D
  4. Narutobieber

gunshooter, mines and c4 aren't meant to be equal, mines are better for certain situations and C4 are better in other situations, for instance C4 are great counters to maxes, (1 C4 will instant gib a max with less than 4 ranks of flak armor)

C4 is usually used by light assaults, and it complements the LA class due to being super maneuverable by being able to sneak and flank with the jetpack, set up C4 and fly away.

Tank mines are only available to engineers, and engineers have ZERO ways of staying alive, with no bonus to movement or survivability. An engineer literally have to run towards his target and set up mines and pray not to get shot while running in the open.

(I've seen light assaults fly up to a low hovering enemy galaxy and set up C4 on the galaxy and blow it up... so yeah more utility for sure)
  5. Ghostfox

Depends on what you want.

If all you care about is popping sunderers.. then AT mines will be better.

If you want more versatility, the C4 is better(much easier to use against infantry and others).
  6. Radian12

Tank mine bombing in a nutshell
  7. RayDrazon

If you want to be able to destroy a full health Sunderer on your own, go with AT Mines. 2 Bricks of C4 will only bring the Sunderer to critical health and on fire though if the enemy for some reason doesn't repair the Sunderer, it will eventually explode.

I don't know if the Sunderer will explode from 2 C4 Bricks and a grenade lobbed right beneath.
  8. DaveyCrockett

9. Aelloon

So I didn't read the thread in much detail, because it is obvious that most posters here do not have much experience with either of them, are spreading misinformation or just "have a feel" for how it works and express their opinion.

C4 is great, but not as great as AT mines for Engineers. Then again, Engineers aren't very good at assault class actions anyway. If you want to use C4 to blow up vehicles I would suggest going Heavy Assault because you get AT grenades and a rocket launcher to finish off Sunderers and similar.

Now, let's talk C4:
    - C4 to me seems to deal more damage to Lightnings than AT mines. Actually, to rephrase: it deals more damage. One brick of C4 to the back will put a Lightning in critical state (burning), whereas one AT mine will do about 60% of its hp (same as to a Sunderer pretty much).
    - C4 deals more damage to Phalanx turrets. Two C4 will detonate a Phalanx turret, you need 3 (or maybe 4, with 3 it might survive with a bit of HP, but I'm not sure) AT mines to kill one.
    - C4 is excellent for Maxes because you can lay a trap that's much more difficult to execute with AT mines.
    - 2 C4 on a Sunderer will NOT kill it. PS Do not hit Sunderers from the back, especially if they have blockade armor. Two C4 will put it into a critical state and it will blow up, but in like 20 seconds or so.
    - C4 triumphs over AT mines when Mineguard comes into play. Luckily, nobody considers Mineguard a worthy upgrade so this isn't an issue. But it might become one in the future.

AT mines:
    They're better for the Engineer (if you for some idiotic reason want to take the Engineer into combat), because:
    - You can carry more of them and enough to kill two Sunderers (unless they have mineguard).
    - They are cheaper on infantry resources.
    - Two AT mines will kill a tank and/or Sunderer as long as they don't have Mineguard.
    - Can be used as mines, because most people won't notice them (but you can notice them unless you're going at really high speeds on a Flash or something like that).
    - AT mines won't stick and you can't pick them up again once deployed.
  10. harrotori

I usually just throw all my c4 on a flash and ***** tanks. it usually takes them down in one shot. mines can't do that.
  11. SmileKrhohoho

No, It need 3

onetime, I put 2 on them and it's not blown it at once, (after he fly to sky)

seriouly I said 'WTF?'