Talk about pay 2 win

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeltaRise, Dec 7, 2012.

1. DeltaRise

I just bought a whole new setup, an ivybridge i7 3.5ghz with a solid state drive geforce 560 gtx, and 16gb of ram.
    It was time for an upgrade anyway.

Now I feel invincible because I am running at an almost constant 60 FPS. I can get in and out of firefights quickly, survive longer, and outshoot most enemies because I know they are getting 20FPS like I was before. I LOVE it.

WOoo:D
    • Up x 6
  2. bPostal

Must be nice, I'm still at 2.8Ghz with 2x5570's.
    How cool does the game look?
  3. DeltaRise

It's mesmerizing, I have it on ultra, and it's hands down the most beautiful game I've ever played.
    • Up x 1
  4. Duckforceone

tease.... :D

i'm still running my 4 year old i7 920, with an equally aged 9800GT card....
  5. DeltaRise

I say it was time for an upgrade anyway... but this game was my main motivation for sure.
  6. Compass

At first I was like... o_O

and then I was like... o_O
  7. IshanDeston

Which is entirely worthless, since a human eye can only recognize 12 FPS. Everything beyond 30FPS makes no differance, except that it will allow you twice as much possibilities to "input" a new command into the game (and the occassional problem with mhz of some monitor settings)

We are talking about a 1 to 2 ms second advantage. Can it win a fight? Sure. Will it win a fight? unlikely. Unless you are some sort of pro gamer, there isn't much differance between 30fps and 60fps for the average joe.

Still more important to be able to aim. Even if your 1-2ms slower in your input. If your aim is better you will still win.
  8. MNO

That's a myth. That's literally like a 10 year old myth too. It's a misconception born from the fact that TV only uses 30fps, but it's constant with zero change.

"Your eyes can't notice a difference beyond 30fps!" - Lie. Play on 30, then play on 60. If you don't notice any difference in your game you need glasses.

What next? "We only use 10% of our brains!"?
    • Up x 1
  9. Exaar

That's pretty close to what I have, though I have an i5 @2.6ghz, a GTX 560 Ti and 8 GB of RAM. Every setting maxed and it runs like butter.. it's actually not that demanding of a game, considering my hardware is all 1-2 years old. Looks great.
  10. iGamer1990

11. Compass

Humans don't see in FPS. Our nerves fire as quickly as they want. That being said, we can't recognize the choppiness after a certain point. If you notice, our eyes are well-attuned to making things look smooth. Ever been in a car reading a book? Usually pretty easy to do that, despite things bouncing around and all.
  12. WhiteWolf

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/604633

Both those links care to disagree with you. I went 3 for 3 on the flash "game". And those new 120 fps TVs..... they look freaking amazing. But please feel free to set your FPS limiter to 12 however you can.
    • Up x 1
  13. IshanDeston

Yeah, because over 100 years of research of scientists have already proven to debunk it? Oh wait.. no they haven't. Actually neurosurgeons have confirmed that the human brain will only be able between register 10 and 12 FPS.

But of course you will not tell me that you can tell that every TV show you've been seeing in your entire life has been running with 24 to 25 FPS.

Which is pointless and wasted money, because TV shows are produced in 24 to maximum 30FPS. 25 is considered cinematic vision.

High FPS in videogames have been needed, because the lack of "motionblur" which makes them look artificial. Thats why you want 100+ for Videogames. But since games started to introduce motionblur, you don't really need it anymore. And it makes no differance to your ability to play the game.
  14. MNO

So you're saying you don't notice a difference between 10 FPS and 30?
    http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Specsavers mate. Seriously, you might need some jam jars.

Maybe you really are only using 10% of your brain, you've proven the myth correct!
    • Up x 1
  15. IshanDeston

As i wrote, you won't notice it past 30. You will however notice it between 0 and 25 with some people even being able to tell as far as 30. And of course there are videogames who need higer FPS for Motionblur to make the pictures less artificial and more "live like".

But past 30fps its all down to "input" control. People can tell they are more accurate with 60fps because it allows more imput control. And as someone else just pointed out, unlike our eyes which only operate at a top of 12fps, the rest of our body does move quite faster than that.

Still after 30fps it doesn't matter that much. Its all your aim after that point.
  16. MNO

Myth.

There's university research that shows participants noticing differences all the way upto 72fps. You can test it yourself using your screen resolution and Hz.

Condition of the eyes are different though, so you may well not be able to notice a difference if you have bad sight. It's still completely unfounded bollocks that "NO ONE" can notice above 30 though.

Your whole "0-25, topped at 30" theory is based off of TV, as I also said earlier. Optimal FPS for TV has nothing to do with "max fps noticeable".
    • Up x 2
  17. IshanDeston

18. Just Me

Care to cite your source for this. I'd love to read the pier reviewed papers on that.
    • Up x 3
  19. Blade782

What are you going to trust some dumb *** article your read, or your own experience, you're own brain, if you don't notice any difference between 12 and 30 fps or 30-60 there is something medically wrong with you
    • Up x 1
  20. Chiss

I have a similar setup to OP, here are my favourite 2 screenies so far;

[IMG]

[IMG]