SweetFX deemed against the rules...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Skizerz, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stigma

What he menas is that SweetFX is a post-process filter that can be configured to do a whole lot more than just make he game pretty. You could make simple configuration changes to make cloaked players very easy to spot - have certain uniform colors be super bright so that enemies lit up like candles even in the middle of the night ect. That is what he is referring to, not the increase in FPS.

I still can't understand the reports about increased FPS with sweetFX by the way... how can ADDing another post-filter on top without taking away the old post-filter at least actually add frames? Considering you aren't taking away any work for the computer to do - but actually adding more - how would it go faster?

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  2. BlueSmiley

I'm totally against this program/whatever if you are correct about this.
    I have never heard of SweetFX (until now) and I got interested. But this SweetFX thingie should be totally illegal if you are right.
  3. Mansen

My guess is that it can overwrite some of the filters so they don't get to run - thus less performance cut? *shrug* I never bothered with SweetFX - the ini tweaks did it for it.
  4. Ricodon

Wrong! SweetFX does exactly THIS!
    It replaces the "regular" DX files specifically "d3d9.dll" & "dxgi.dll".

Think about this:
    A game like Planetside (or an other program who uses DX) needs DX-DLLs and it looks for the DX-Files normally in "Windows/system32 (or on 64Bit Systems @ SysWOW64)" folder (the normal install directory for DirectX) BUT 1st it searches the root game directory for this files...if these files are there, the program use these files with higher priority than the system files (the files @ Windows/.... blabla).

Yes that can happen. For this case i place the regular DX files (d3d9.dll & dxgi.dll) directly in the game root...problem solved. But then i can't use SweetFX...oh thats no problem, i also can life without it. :)

This is no "brilliant secret strategy" I don't do bad things with SweetFX so i don't need to make a secret around this.
    The only thing wich i'm using from SweetFX is the "LumaSharpen" and SMAA (instead of FXAA crap).
    Maybe it help the devs to find some ideas to restrict this for "bad things". :)

Some MMOs don't allow using injectors, they won't even start if injectors are used. Some Hackshild or Gamegurad secured MMOs do this way. They checking the checksum (MD5 or SHA hash) of all DLL files and if there are differences...pong NO START.

This is ********!
    SweetFX is an overlay and manipulates the whole screen/picture not individual objects and it dosen't manipulate game files which is needed to pick special shader areas.

BTW: Basically, you do not even need SweetFX to get an other color setting, simply adjust the RGBs on your monitor.
    - If you want a better AntiAliasing you can use (for nVidia graphics cards) "nvidiaInspector" to force for example SGSSAA or such stuff.
    - to get a better rendered picture u can use downsampling
    - to get a sharper picture alters LOD but u need a very good graphics card to do this on Planetside2.
    - if you wanna have the night as day: increase gamma on your monitor or in the game graphics options
    • Up x 1
  5. Liandra

The d3d9.dll from SweetFX does not provide the full functionality of the original .dll. some programs, including system programs can have issues then. It probably won't outright destroy your PC, but it is not a full d3d9.dll. Just compare the filesizes and you'll notice the sweetFX file is much smaller.

Edit: Issues will be greater on a 32bit system as many system programs actually use the system32 version instead of the 64 version iirc, but it may still cause issues. Then again it's your choice anyway.
    • Up x 1
  6. phreec

Uh, no you can't. It's an overlay so how could it possibly make cloaks easier to spot or lit up enemies? If you amp up the vibrance everything gets more colors, not only the player models...
  7. neoenigma

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. Dice\punkbuster doesnt ban you for using sweetFX in BF3. They don't even have methods in place to detect it right now. I really dont think Planetside will have anything in place to detect it for a long time.

I'll continue to use it. It's harmless and the people that use it know it's harmless. The people that don't use it, for some reason, feel the need to speak out against it and exaggerate the capabilities to make it sound evil. The author of SweetFX only made it to improve graphics quality in games that could really use it. He's not going to code in "cheats" that show cloaked people, lol. That's impossible.

In any rate, the moment they start actually banning people for it (don't worry, it wont happen) is the moment I forget about the game and move on. That's even if I'm still playing if that ever happens. I suspect I'll be playing for another 1-2 months at the most anyways so... nothing to worry about here :)
    • Up x 2
  8. Legitsu

There bluffing for one they have no way of detecting it(if they could they would just forcibly unload the dll) its just a generic covering-there-own-assets I am gonna completely disregard there ******** here
    and protip scrubs: you can write "Cheats"(notice I said cheats not "HACKS") that use a overlay without using d3d dll.s stupid nubs you can write a program that simply reads from memory addresses and draws a overlay onto the game window via windows aero ... maby the devs should tell the pr guys to know what they are talking about before assuming that all of there users are as stupid as there pr team
    I
  9. MadCowCrazy

As I asked earlier, are there any confirmed cases of people getting banned for using SweetFX or that widescreen fix? I was told some people had been banned but I can't find any confirmations what so ever that this has happened?
  10. Wasdie

I do hope that SoE allows SweetFX. I don't use it for this game as I think the graphics are good enough, but I do use it for other games and it's a very excellent addition.

It's a very simple app that only applies itself to a final render. You cannot use it in any way to manipulate individual objects and give yourself an advantage.
  11. freki

I think they'll sort this out quickly. SOE proved to be a company listening to the community to some extend and this particular problem wasn't some muttering of a minority. Last time I checked the main thread alone had 17k clicks. First thing I did after installing the beta client was installing a tool called FXAATool, basically the same as Sweet, but a little more userfriendly and with a little more options, especially in the sharpening department, which PS2 needs badly.

I will not touch the game until this blurry mess goes away, it's just offending.
  12. Susanchan

So, will they ban for SweetFX or not? Can we hear official answer?
    Nvidia driver settings cannot override Planetside2 settings and disable AA, as SweetFX do, so I can't even play without SweetFX. :oops:
    3 fps everywhere or possible ban, it's a hard to choose.
  13. Liandra

A proper official statement would be nice indeed.
  14. neoenigma

SweetFX does not disable AA. Whoever told you that lied to you.
  15. JoCool

Yes, an official statement would be great. I opened a support ticket about this since I seek a response from the guidelines the support has. They are probably those swinging a ban hammer (or not swinging one) after all.
  16. Susanchan

But there are options in settings file of SweetFX and I've disabled it all, so everything in game being covered in "ladders" - isn't it a result of disabled AA?
  17. neoenigma

If you disable every setting in SweetFX, then it won't do anything at all. It ADDs shaders. It does not remove them.
  18. Susanchan

Then how would you describe increased fps, "ladders" and changed colors(gamma + brightness)?
  19. RadarX

As this is not a technical issue, I'm going to go ahead and close this up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.