Stuttering & 1-2 second freeze frame potential fix

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Higby, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ReeferBOT

This exact issue only affects me if I run SLI. If I disable SLI completely in the nVidia control panel I do not stutter. Forcing it to render on one GPU doesn't help. SLI must be outright disabled for a smooth experience.

I run a pair of GTX 780 Ti currently on the most recent beta driver 337.50. (it doesn't black screen/CTD as much as the others for me)
  2. Coldmeister

I want to bump this because the issue is still present today after patch.
  3. FBVanu

Stuttering freezes got worse after this patch.

Also crashing more often, and sooner..
  4. Mikromancer

I have no scientific evidence to support my theory, but after applying this attempted "fix" I may have gotten more frequent/worse hitching. at the very least the problem has not changed in any significant manner, including going away.
  5. Gammit

Definitely still an issue for me. It's frequency has increased to every 30 seconds or so.
  6. PWGuy93

Applied this, played last evening with this setting. Didn't notice the level of hitching (> millisecond or so) video delay. The volume of players last night wasn't up to the 48+ fight standard to know if this did help or that it provided a placebo that made me feel that it helped e.g. still noticed ESF rubber banding/warping.

I get 48-60+fps but it still doesn't feel like those framerates, like it's stating I have those rates but the video shows something else i.e. from the visual, it feels like there's a cap on framerate and the game is playing to but not exceeding the cap, kind of like in music where radio stations compress the audio, it's the same audio but the peaks are capped and the lower volumes are pushed up close to the cap. Maybe another way think explain it is that the video keeps their rates but with visual artifacts that weren't refreshed e.g. left over pixels. I don't know how else to explain it.

I've done the litany of deleting files from the planetside2 directory tech recommends, letting those rebuild. I've cleared DNS tables, rebooted the router, lowered graphic settings, lowered field of view, checked drivers, checked for bios updates, made sure directx is up to date, et. et...

In all honesty it's kind of hard to say one thing helped when there are more than performance issue effecting gameplay.
  7. frag85

Still an issue.
  8. Tiedemann

I just came back after a break and still have this issue too. It's a LITTLE bit better when disabling SLI but it still ruins firefights and what not now and then.
  9. Tiedemann

Todays patch made things worse. Now I got more of them and more frequent. SLI on/off and even Very Low in the gfx settings doesn't help/make things worse.
  10. FBVanu

did you delete these recommended files , then validate before playing?

open game directory (wrench icon)
    then delete these:

Activity User Data (if it is still in your files)
    Input Profile User
    Launch Pad User
    Loading Screen
    Planetside 2 exe files (both of them)
    User Options
    Vivoxoal (both of them)
    Vivoxsdk (both of them)

then validate game files.... it will download new files

when that's done, then hit play

you will have to re-set all your keybindings in game, graphics.. etc..

That should help a bit.

I do this after every patch.. will do it again tomorrow, after the hotfix..

good luck
    • Up x 1
  11. Tiedemann

It helped so I guess there's some settings that causes it then but I don't know what else to try right now. Think I'll vote for another optimization patch :p
    • Up x 1
  12. SynaptixBrainstorm

I really hope that the devs working secretly on a performance patch...if not please do so developers! :(
  13. FBVanu

The next thing that helps, after all the delete files validate etc..

is to download Razer Game Booster.. see youtube ..

i run it every time I play PS2.. has extended my game time without crash

even Wrel talks about it in one of his PS2 videos..

it's free, no harm in trying it out

let me know if that helps you
  14. SynaptixBrainstorm

Thanks i will try this but i would like to know why do you think that this is a factor ?
  15. FBVanu

because it was a huge factor for me.
    I spent hours on this forum searching for solutions. There are numerous threads about optimization
    Very early on, late 2012, a SOE developer posted that list and said it will help to delete and re-validate them.
    i have absolutely NO clue why that works, but it did.

Then I found out about Razer Game Booster..

you have to know, I play on a very old PC.. I used to crash every 10 minutes..

with the changes above, I now crash about every 25 minutes.. or later..
    my settings are extremely low, render distance 1200, graphics low, 50%, field of view 42, audio channels at 15, no shadows, etc..
    when I drive a lightning near a big battle, the game freezes..

I can do smaller battles just fine, or sit in a turret for 40 minutes..

before I did the above , NONE of that was possible for me.

check it out, read up on it, it's somewhere under optimization, there was also a reddit article about it.
    For the Razer Game Booster, go on youtube, it's all there.

Good luck with the game. When it works, it's awesome.
  16. FBVanu

forgot, in ESC, Settings, Graphics.. disable Vertical Sync, and disable Smoothing..

if that works, great, if not, enable one, try again, then enable the other.. test it out
  17. FBVanu

18. SynaptixBrainstorm

yeah im on very low as well. everything as low as possible or off. renderer quality is on 65%. my renderer distance is only 240m since im only playing infantry anyway.

i stoped using the gamebooster after over one year with it. it just takes forever to revert these changes that it makes after i close "this game". in other games , the booster works pretty quick but not here in PS2.
  19. SynaptixBrainstorm

yeah i have no smoothing nor v-sync on. all i use to get a nice stable fps is the maxfps: setting in the ini. file.
    got it on 40 fps and i can hold them really good even in big fights.

when i try to uncap my fp then my screentearing is pretty bad. even with my 80 plus fps...

i had my fps caped to 60 basically since release. but im on a laptop and it runs a bit to hot in larger fights. so i made it to 40 and i can prevent my system to run that hot. wich is quite awesome since i thought i could nothing do about it.
  20. Tiedemann

Now I have more hitching than I did before. The only thing I've noticed is that it's kinda consistent (and worse) with air vehicles flying around (when I'm on the ground).
    The last fight that included some TR Valkyries ended up with too much hitching/millisec freezes/whatever when having fire fights. It's also worse if the enemy are close up, as in having an enemy soldier up your face.
    It doesn't matter if I have aircraft on my screen or not, but the sound/knowing the they are around and close is enough.

It also happens now and then when I spawn at bases and run through the spawn room shield.

It wasn't this bad before the patch, but now it's something that makes me quit after a while cause it makes me miss and lose fights I shouldn't.