Stuttering & 1-2 second freeze frame potential fix

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Higby, Feb 21, 2014.

1. FBVanu

does your game crash, for no apparent reason, without error report.. just simply CTD.. ??
    I get a few zero FPS, for a second, then back to normal.. just about 15 minutes later, boom. hello desktop..
  2. Badmagic362

Fix did not help me either. My game is currently unplayable because I am getting the stutters every 5 mins or so. I can't tell what is current or if I'm behind. I just get killed over and over from things and people I never saw.

Interl Core i7 4700
    SSD
    16 GB RAM
    Duel (SLI) NVidia 750 GT
  3. cruczi

What is the NVIDIA 750 GT? Do you mean GTX 750 Ti?

Have you tried running the game with one card to see if it's a SLI issue?
  4. FrankHH

The GTX 750 Ti does not even support SLI... that guy is confused
  5. Octiceps

No he's not. He's got the Y510p laptop.

(Cue obligatory "you shouldn't be playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop" comments.)
  6. okolepooka

My game was hitching every few minutes for just a split second...then I tried this and holy crap, it made my game a slideshow in a medium sized skirmish. However, when there isn't a lot going on, I had no hitches what so ever anymore. For now, I'll stick with the minor hitching every few minutes over the slideshow.
  7. acksbox

I'd guess that the PS2 engine is using something similar to the memory fences you see in OGL and other APIs.

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Sync_Object#Fence

Basically UseFences=0 may be allowing the renderer to complete certain tasks out of order rather than stalling waiting for everything before the fence to finish. Probably good if you have a fast GPU with tons of memory. Probably no so good if you are VRAM limited or have a slow GPU.

At least that is my marginally educated guess.

Someone who actually knows something please chime in on this. I like to know what these tweaks do, on some level, so that I can make informed deductions about their applicability.

I run the game from RAM. Slightly less hitching than running it from my SSD; much less hitching than running it from my HDD.
  8. Badmagic362

Update - I tried old and new drivers, disabling windows services , disabling SLI, and multiple settings with no luck. The old nVidia driver worked for a couple hours, like I thought it was fixed, and then the stuttering and hitching came back. Too bad about the new driver, I was getting 60-70 frames on Ultra, until the stuttering kicked in. Higby announced that there is an incoming update so let's just hope this problem is addressed and fixed . I can't reliably play right now until it is.
  9. acksbox

Alright, I gave UseFences=0 a shot and it works, to a degree.

Combined with no vsync, no smoothing, and no frame rate cap, frame interval consistency was dramatically worsened, to the point where the game was borderline unplayable in some situations.

However, it eliminated hitching/pausing on my setup. I played for three plus hours and did not see a single hitch the entire time.

Also, smoothing was able to restore frame intervals to playability. I think I'll keep the setting, smoothing + vsync + UseFences=0 is probably the best the game has run for me. I did lose a few frames per second here and there, but it wasn't severe at all.

I tested on a 4.4GHz 3930k, with 32GiB of DDR3-1866, and a Radeon 290X (Catalyst 13.12). I was running the game from a 13.5GiB RAMdrive at 1080p, with 1.5x render quality, 7000 view distance, and all settings maximum except the following: lighting (medium), particles (high), shadows (medium), no motion blur.
  10. Noc65

No dice for my setup :(
  11. dirtYbird

After two weeks of running the game with this change I am of the view that its back to happening as often as before.
    Or its such a small improvement I don't see it.

Its disappointing that with 6mths spent on optimization and being one of those that noticed an improvement its like its now gone backwards for me.

I actually now feel as though the game runs worse for me now than it did 8mths ago, before the optimization.
    My frames were smoother and I certainly didnt get these pain in the *** 1-2sec freezes with two hourly CTD's.

Do you have any updates on nailing this problem or perhaps there is something else we can try to help you pin point it?
  12. BloodyPuma

I practically stoped playing 2 days ago. Suddenly im getting stutter while aiming, nearly constant. As a long range sniper - its a no-go for me. Didnt change anything, same settings, same drivers, all other intensive cpu or gpu programs works with same performance, so its on SOE "ninja" side.

Mouse feels like its got 0.1 sec delay in reponse + constant stutter while ADS. FPS are the same.
    Deleted know files that used to help before, validated etc. Nothing.
  13. Kemano

Having other folks tend to also notice that UseFences=0 does help with the hitching issue, though at the cost of unstable framerates that tend to be lower than normal as a side effect. It seems that the key for me is:
    UseFences=0
    MaximumFPS=60
    Smoothing=1
    VSync=1

my rendering section of UserOptions.ini in full:
    AO=0
    LightingQuality=1
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=3
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1250.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=60
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=1
    ParticleLOD=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VerticalFOV=70
    UseAspectFOV=0
    Smoothing=1
    VSync=1
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1
    UseFences=0

which is letting me get half-decent playability despite my hardware not actually meeting planetside 2's minimum system requirements on several points, most notably my graphics card as well as RAM amount. Hope this helps!
  14. Chauma

Hopefully there's a fix soon!
  15. Yuki10

Smoothing ON
    Vsync OFF
    Settings set lower than preffered and now back to smooth - no hitches. FPS is same as before, but SMOOTH.
  16. Jautis

Installed latest drivers 337.81, put UseFences=0 in [Rendering] section, but freezes still alive. :(

Example: http://a.pomf.se/yhaxef.webm [freezes occurs @3s @19s @35s] Important! > hover on the link, right mouse click and then select Save Link As... watch video with MPC-HC.

We see stuttering like in any other game [that can be partly fixed by simply capping framerate], but then theres those very consistent severe gamebraking freezes [when frames drops to 0] and thats what makes PS2 unplayable.
  17. lords8n

My "stutter" is constant and continuous.

Look @ the grav-pad effects stuttering, then look at the Lib fly off. Finally, and the most telling, look at the Sundy drive by.

That stutter happens all the time. It's pretty unplayable with it going on.

18. Coldmeister

I made this change and it seemed like my issue was resolved when I first logged in, however when I was flying I noticed it starting to reoccur. It wasn't as bad as before the change, but got progressively worse the longer I played until it was basically back to the original state and I'm getting a stutter about every 1-2 seconds. At least it's something to help for a while, but I'm afraid this didn't fix it completely.
  19. frag85

Looks like we're in the same boat.

Its only with 64 bit, driver version/settings and in-game settings don't seem to matter. I'm stumped.
  20. Gammit

Still got this tonight and it does not seem to be improving