[BUG] Strikers hitting my ESF from 1300m away?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by strikearrow, Oct 31, 2017.

1. strikearrow

Ok so I can see where they are fired from and it is literally 1300m from my ESF and they lock on and hit me? Enemy vehicles do not even render that far away. How is it possible for them to even aim? I fire at tanks 800m away and immediately I have 18 inbound strikers from 1300m away. Launchers do not even have more than about 1.5 zoom on the launchers.

Aimbot?
  2. adamts01

I've always been curious as to how the Striker mechanic works. I hear that missiles disappear when the shooter dies on the server, not when he dies on his screen, so maybe striker hits are calculated on the server and not the client, so render range might not apply?....... I haven't had enough coffee to fix that sentence. Deal with it.
  3. ObiVanuKenobi

Were you hovering or flying in a straight line?
    • Up x 1
  4. Corezer

you're right, vehicles don't render from that far away, so you're wrong.

~fin
  5. strikearrow

I was hovering when I fired, but I could see the strikers coming with enough time to evade most of them.
  6. strikearrow

Exactly, the tanks (prowlers guarding a sunder and fun fact, prowlers render about 20m farther away than sunderers) I was shooting were just in render range and those strikers were coming from 400-500m farther away then the tanks. The only thing I can think of is they were shooting back at my tracers but that's still insane because they were about 300m higher than the tanks and about 200m to the right of the tanks in addition to being 4-500m behind them. And it was 3 HA's shooting them too.
  7. CMDante

ITT; "Someone was able to retaliate at render distance when I was trying to farm at render distance, haxnerfnao"

On a slightly less hostile note; there's no way to have any accuracy on any of these numbers, even if you had the IFF implant I stops reading at what? 1km? So anything beyond that is up in the air. And besides that there's no way the map would pick something up at that range. Far more likely that a group of dudes fired on you from just -somewhere- outside minimap coverage.
    • Up x 2
  8. strikearrow

I could see the mountain where they were firing from, see the incoming strikers and ya it was well beyond unit render distance. It isn't that the tanks weren't firing back, they were, but the HA's were also and they were a good 4-500m farther away than the tanks. I know because I know where the mountain is and I knew where I was.
  9. Eternaloptimist

I have occasionally hit an aircraft that was not rendering but which had been spotted, by aiming at the red symbol. But I have no idea how far way it would have been. I thought the Striker, like the other RLs had a maximum range of 300m tbh (or is that the max lock-on range?) and my render range is set at 500m............
  10. strikearrow

Dumbfire rockets maximum ranged wasn't capped to 300m like lock-ons. I believe Strikers are considered dumbfire for max range calculations. I'm to try a test in the VR with my Briggs (gag) TR toon to see if I can replicate it.
  11. strikearrow

I tested it and it's possible to hit at huge ranges as the Strikers have a very low drop rate and no max range that I could find. In other words the Striker is the best AA launcher in the game - now by a wide margin.
    • Up x 4
  12. HisokaTheRed

13. BartasRS

Not sure about that, yesterday I was shooting S1 (VS dumbfire, not lock-on launcher) and I could clearly see it auto detonates after a certain range. Even VS Max Comets have limited range now which feels odd in some cases.
  14. Demigan

Are you absolutely sure it was 1300m away? It would take a Striker 5,9 seconds to reach you. You really just hung around for that long looking at the shots come in?

Another question: Considering how wonky the rendering is of missiles fired from range, how on earth would these have rendered from 1300m? As far as I'm aware those things are nigh impossible to see from that range anyway let alone that they will render properly.
    • Up x 2
  15. FLHuk

Shooter shooting at render range gets shot back.

Happy face :)
    • Up x 2
  16. adamts01

I sit there and watch Hyenas and Coyotes from 800, which I then dodge as OP mentioned that he did. His story interests me because of something you said actually, that missiles disappear when the server says you're dead, not the client. So there may be something funny going on with Strikers, they may keep on going on the server to hit targets that aren't visible to the client. I don't have any 1st hand experience at ranges like he's describing, but because of that particular missile's unique nature I'm not ruling 1,300m hits out.
  17. AtckAtck

The highest distance shot i ever made with the striker was around 900m distance, out of the valkyrie rumble seat. It certainly is possible to hit an esf while it is still rendered (and render distance seems to be increases when inside a valk. at least it feels that way). Still it is not an easy thing to do and a lot of spamming, target leading and luck is involved.
  18. BartasRS

I believe that render distance increases with hight, at least something funny is happening then - especially to rocket launchers. I often notice that I can lock on and hit targets from further away (or at least it seems like it) when I sit on top of Tech Plant, Bio Lab or at high place in general. It is not uncommon to lock-on and hit vehicles from The Crown that are in TI or Ceres. Not doable from the ground level tho.
  19. Demigan

I don't think it's all that mystical really.

When you put down an AP mine, it stays in the game no matter if you die or move 5000m away. This is because it uses server-side hit detection and the server keeps it in the game. This is a good choice by the devs as it means the players client doesn't have to tell the server continuously where the mine has been placed and it doesn't have to try and render it when the player isn't around. It also means that the server decides when someone is nearby enough to be hit.

Apparently the Striker's Coyote effect works the same way: Rather than let the player's client decide if the missiles are close enough to home in, the server decides. this would allow the missiles to hit things beyond render range. It's actually one of my proposals to defeat the render range if we ever got artillery in the game.
  20. LodeTria

I don't think we'd ever get artillery that isn't highly gimped like the OS and Glaive.
    Or even any new types of vehicles now.
    • Up x 1