Spy: Backstab

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by alecholman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Benton!

It's just, you called the thread "Spy: Backstab" and...well...TF2 :D

I totally support this though :)
  2. Tenebrae Aeterna

I didn't call the thread anything :p

I thought everyone kind of deviated from the OP long ago...into more generalized melee capabilities being increased or other odds and ends.
  3. alphaCastiel

It's posts like this that make me wish forums had downvotes. My IQ just dropped from having read that, I would have preferred not to.

How the hell do they not react? Where are these players everyone's apparently playing against? How do you get knifed and just stay stationary for the second hit. Any poor bastard who even tries to get one hit on me I'm already reacting to his movement behind me (because by god, the game sounds are loud) and he can't do anything, by the time he starts shooting (regardless if he hits or misses the knife hit) I already unloaded a clip of my Carbine on his face.

I feel the importance of a buff to melee is not being emphasized enough.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mustard Jar

You'll might as well play TF2 or Skyrim if you want a game where melee isn't near-useless.

inb4peoplebragaboutkilling10braindeadpeoplewithmelee
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

Delta Force and Counter Strike utilized effective melee combat. I believe both were instant kills with knives...I know every Delta Force game was, and I'm pretty sure that Counter Strike was as well. TF2 is not the first game to use effective knife weapons.
  6. Xocolatl

Backstabby knife? Who gives a crap.

What Infil need is a bloody chainsaw, baby! Imagine the terror!
    *decloak quietly*.....RMMMMMMMM BBZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
    CS knife has never been insta-kill, ever. Even an M2 to the head on unarmored target will not kill him (Unless you jump and land on his face, thus killing him with your fall damage). However, a good M2 to the head is about 45 to 60 dmg, and is plenty to finish off a wounded target.
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

Yeah, I wasn't completely sure on CS...but I know that Delta Force was. I used the knife a lot in CS too though, more so than I did in Delta Force ironically...most likely because of the more CQC oriented play style.
  8. PieBringer

Wait, wait... Knife damage in Counter Strike? I never played the GoldSource version, but I used to play CSS quite a bit.

I know for absolute certain that you actually do MORE knife damage depending on your location. If you're following an enemy up a ladder, it actually counts as a "flank-stab". Mouse2 from behind (if it's close enough to hit, AND registers) will kill regardless of how much health you have

As stated before, it also counts if you hit someone with it from beneath them while you're both on the same ladder.

Either way, Infiltrators... Look at the description for them. Read what it says about fear. Now, give us more ways to terrify our prey.

However much I would love to play the one class that should be the most "OH ****" inducing, it wouldn't matter. Anyone that is too slow to react would just be like "WHAT THE HELL KILLED ME!", and anyone that actually CAN react, does so before you're close enough to actually cause damage.

Here's what I think would be a fantastic idea: Spec-Ops tool that can be used while cloaked. Hallucination-inducing injection. Shoot at enemy, if it hits them, they will start hallucinating. Hearing enemy vehicles, very audible enemy weapons fire, seeing enemy signatures on their radar, indicator for taking damage (but not actually taking damage). It's not exactly lethal, but it would be useful for distracting an enemy while you pick him off. (or distracting a single actual threat while you take care of his hapless buddy)

Or, better yet... Scaring an enemy into shooting in random directions, hitting their teammates, etc.
  9. Compass

Before we get too far, knife damage to the back of a player in Counter Strike (1.6, Source, GO) is a OHKO.

Knife damage otherwise was 55% damage to body.
  10. yama

I don't see the problem.

Why not give the infiltrator a OHK back stab?
    Like anyone ever survives when we manage to sneak up to them anyway. It would be a nice reward for managing the sneaky business.

Give it a "reload" mechanic if you are worried of it being spammed.
  11. Xocolatl

I used to knife duel people plenty (pre 1.6 & Source), no, it is not OHKO. If you do not wear armor (or unless they changed it within the past year) then yes, it could kill you. Barely any of the lower tier weapons (knifes/default pistols/SMG) can even OHKO you WITHOUT armor (45dmg on a single headshot from Glock at under 10M). Heck, even a point blank shotgun to the face of an armored target often does NOT kill them.
    Older CS (including Source back when I played it) does not have a concept of "flank"--it's torso, chest, head, or arm if you hit the upperbody. Damage goes head>tummy>chest>arm. But like I said, they might have changed that in Source since I left.

Back to the topic--I don't see a problem with OHKO knife for PS2. It works the same as pistol-knife (which also barely make any sound to alert the enemies). The only difference is that you don't have to reload that pesky pistol of yours afterward (which I don't think is a big deal).
  12. Tenebrae Aeterna

I played CS when it first came out, could have sworn it was a one hit kill as well. I know Delta Force always was, but I actually used the knife in CS a lot more often due to the, typically, far more CQC oriented battles. Then again, I might have been caught up in the sadistic laughter while screaming "Die Die Die Die!!!" that I failed to realize the amount of swings I hit with...

Delta Force Land Warrior, I was more of a ******** with it. I'd lay in their spawn ring of sandbags and just stab them in the ankles as they appeared. ...damn I'm getting old.
  13. Compass