Spy: Backstab

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by alecholman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. alecholman

I think having a "backstab"/knife for the infiltrator class to be able to kill enemies up close would make this class less horrible. They already have a hard enough time with vehicles, cloaking, any infantry up close, and the bullet drop; along with HAVING to get a headshot or the target gets away.

A up close backstab insta-kill? Maybe not insta-kill, but more like the TF2 spy would be interesting?

Thoughts?
  2. m44v

dunno, when I catch somebody from behind, is a pretty guaranteed kill, knife and pistol and the guy dies before he knows it.
    • Up x 1
  3. ComradeHX

If you play TR then you already know uncloaking + pistol mag dump is already instantkill. :D
    • Up x 1
  4. Jaggedmallard26

As a Mediocre Infiltrator (when I play it) whose main skills involve sneaking behind lines an instant kill from behind if out of combat would be nice.
  5. Vortok

Heavy Assault should be able to rocket jump up the side of buildings too. /tf2

Current knife damage is fine, I'd say. I find it kinda hard to hit with the knife if the opponent and I are dancing around, but that's likely latency and me being bad at melee. Allowing a one shot backstab, combined with not even having to make the knife your active weapon like in TF2, would just lead to more "facestabs" and that makes everybody rage. Not quite as big a deal, as the average person will kill you faster in Planetside than in TF2 if they see you. If you can get behind someone and close enough to knife them, you can probably just knife again or finish them with a gun. I don't see making it a one shot kill if you're at the right angle compared to the direction they're facing solving anything.
  6. Ghostfox

Eh.. the damage is fine. Hit detection is what needs to be looked at.
  7. Worthless

three pistol shots and a knife is faster than any character can react and it hasn't failed me yet.
  8. yama

Considering our targets die anyway if we manage to sneak up on them SOE might as well give us the back stab instant kill.
  9. alphaCastiel

I don't see what kind of horrible players you people have been knifing, but unless an enemy is hearing his own mp3 instead of game sounds then he can hear your movement, by the time you're in his face he is not stationary anymore (if he ever was) and the knife hit is no longer guaranteed due to extremely poor hit detection - Even if you do get a hit you still have to switch to the pistol to finish the job. It's completely unacceptable and any good enemy has a window of opportunity to still turn around and kill you even though you sneaked on from behind with a god damn knife.

Yes, fix hit detection, but if we're meant to kill on a sneaky stab regardless as these players pointed out, I don't see why this isn't a thing. It just makes sense that if I get behind an unsuspecting enemy with a knife, I can slash his throat before he can react. Instead of having to dance around him trying to slash his chest in a comical looney toons fashion and still having to switch to my pistol to finish the job. As it is it shouldn't be defended, much less with TF2 fanboy comments - This feature is present in a lot more games than just "TF2" and it's a good one worth implementing. Throw in a different animation than the default and it's brilliant.
  10. m44v

I think the horrible player is you.
  11. alphaCastiel

You got me brah, with that rational counter-argument. Completely nullified everything I said.
  12. PanzerGoddess

even works on tanks...yet I have not been able to kill one yet :) Nothing better to run along side an enemy tank and knife it lol, for them to stop look around and think wtf......lol
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Within one of the videos I watched, the dev said that they were playing around with the idea of a designated knife for the Infiltrator that would be an enhancement over the quick knife. I don't know how old the video was, but I'd love to have a designated knife that has, at the very least, better accuracy than the current coupled with a more advanced type of cloaking...even if said cloaking is completely dependent upon if you're using the knife or not.

I think that would be fair, even with an instant kill.

You'd have to invest certification points on this new knife to unlock it, and you'd have to invest certification points in the advanced melee cloaking. Not everyone would take this course, but I sure as hell would.
  14. Mustard Jar

Yes, lets slowly mesh this game into CoD Fortress 2.

Infiltrators should be able to throw bottles of piss that instantly kill all enemies caught in the blast radius, Engineers' turrets should aim for them, LA's should have a double jump, and HA's should have a sandwitch that instantly heals them to full health and shield.

Let's convince SOE to get themselves sued by Valve.
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

What?
  16. xpsyclosarinx

I think they're bringing melee weapons into the game later which may or may not take up your secondary weapon slot. (requires switching to for use.)
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

I seen a youtube video where the dev said that they were talking about it for the Infiltrator, but I don't remember looking at the date of the video.
  18. Benton!

Planetfortress 2
  19. Vepo

I normally kill people from behind with 2 knife attack, but the first the time hit goes off, they are too slow to react to the 2nd attack, which always kills them.
  20. Tenebrae Aeterna

...yes, because Team Fortress was the first game to ever come out with melee weapons that were extremely viable.

I've heard that the hits don't always register, normally the second swing?