~ Spitfire Auto-Turret Review in 90 Seconds ~

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by belthazor3457, Dec 20, 2014.

1. belthazor3457

A 90 Second Review of the Spitfire Auto-Turret.

While useful in certain situations, "automatic turret" isn't one of those. The spitfire is effective at being a decoy and softening TTK when performing area-secure actions when you remain close by, and helping protect against sundy bombings, as well as being a spotter of sorts. However, decoys get destroyed, open spotters get sniped, and its useful circumstances are sandbagged by logistical handicaps - no reposition, no redeploy without a sundy/terminal.

I feel the spitfire's logistical sandbags are unfair. Good positions change all the time in a battle that is in constant motion, meaning a turret must be relocated. The logistic sandbags worsen the problems of its large size and frailty, further reducing its ability to be used in the role in which it is actually functional. Causing a deliberate headache should not be a balancing mechanic.

It's confused by partial cover (both for enemies it is shooting at and for itself) and will happily go skynet and teamkill if a teammate is between it and a target, and as an automatic turret, its roles are limited.

As there has been a lot of debate over if the spitfire is good or bad, I feel I should chime in - neither a "good or bad" designation seems to be 100% accurate - thus, the spitfire auto-turret is given the label "misnomer" - it does have some very useful situations, but an automatic turret that people would picture, something that kills stuff while you're away, isn't one of those - and I do feel some of its logistical handicaps are overzealous.
    • Up x 11
  2. GoyoElGringo

I literally just stood in front of an enemy turret for at least 5 seconds while it shot at me. I didn't move or anything, I was maybe 5m in front of it, and I took 0 damage. The bullets didn't register.
  3. Leftconsin

I got killed by a spitfire for the first time today, but it was because I fell off a ledge in front of one.
    • Up x 2
  4. belthazor3457

Consider yourself lucky you didn't plant one down and have it immediately teamkill your entire squad! It's the rise of the machines, I tells ya!
    • Up x 1
  5. Konstantinn

It's pretty weak, there's no reason why engineer should have to run back to resupply to deploy it. If engineers can reset it at any time it'll be a useful distraction in some cases.

Running back to resupply is dumb, unless turret becomes stronger. If it became smaller, more hp, maybe resist small arms, better tracking, more damage, or anything of the sort, then it might warrant being a resource with need to resupply, but definitely not the way it is now.

Should help engineer solo defend a place against one or two attackers, like set it in corner and sit in another. Enemy runs in, now he has to shoot at 2 targets, gives engineer more of a chance to win. Turret will most likely bite the dust in an encounter like that, so engineer should be able to reset it and prepare for another enemy. That'd be useful.
  6. ChampagneDragon

I spent time around Red Ridge taking out spitfires with my RailJack. Two shots from ~400m takes one out.

I quit deploying them after I got a final warning on grief last night on Esi. I hadn't fired a shot, as I was keeping a sundy up.
    • Up x 2
  7. Atuday

I have little experience with these but considering that there seems to be no limits on how many can be put down by a team of engis I do wonder what it would be like to run into 5 or six of th see in one room. Someone should get a squad together, go test that and post the results. If you have 4 defending a sundy in a large battle I think it would make a difference against the occasional light assault since it is a dedicated gaurd. I would like to see the cert expanded so that one engi can place more than one aka planetside 1.
  8. ATRA_Wampa-One

It's not bad, but if they make it stronger they need to have a no deploy zone (about room size) around them so you can't stack them like you currently can which makes them a bit more than a nuisance.

One change that really needs to happen though is a cert line for to increase the number of auto-turrets you can deploy before getting resupplied. Say 500/1000 for an additional 1/2 deploys.
    • Up x 1
  9. Regpuppy

It just needs a reasonable timer after it's deployed/destroyed, rather than requiring that you go back to a terminal to deploy it. if it wasn't for that, I think it could be fairly useful.
    • Up x 1
  10. LuminousBlades

Personally, I think the turret is a great enemy detector. It might not be good at killing enemy infantry but it can sure point you in the right direction.
    • Up x 1
  11. Goretzu

In that context though it is much better (and more rewarding) to just run a motion sensor Inf.
  12. belthazor3457

Skyyyyyneeeeet. Rogue AI...

One day, the turrets will certfarm US...
  13. breeje

2 spitfires and one engi can deny entrance to a room, 4 to 6 enemy's
    you don't need 4 spitfires on there own, i have seen it and they are all destroyed when attacked by a small group
  14. belthazor3457

Indeed.. and they don't see cloak, so one infil br5 can clear em.
  15. Anonymous Qwop

I love the Spitfire turret. It is not to strong that it can wreck infantry, but it is strong enough to make flankers question their strategies.

Changes I would love to see:
    1. Engineers should be able to re-position it.
    2. Should be resupplied at sundees, or repairable even after it is destroyed (similar to base turrets).
    3. Hackable.
  16. steverogers

I love seeing all those people who thought that the turret would be a free double KDR machine. So many of them and so many tears, yummy!
  17. belthazor3457

[IMG]

People should really consider watching a review before buying, right?
  18. TwwIX

Well, you asked for cert sinks. You've got a new one. After all, that's all it is. More unnecessary **** to grind on.
    Also, it's a nice example of their AI coding, i.e., don't expect any complex AI in the future. Mobile VR targets? Bwahahahaha!
    • Up x 1
  19. belthazor3457

Don't be fooled... the turrets are getting minds of their own, what with how much they teamkill... it's skynet in its infancy.
  20. axiom537

Personally, I think they are great and are very verasatile. If I was going to buff it in anyway, I think I would make the engineer repair tool more effective on the turret(if possible), that way an engineer could conceivably sit behind it and repair through the damage it is taking while it is engaged on the enemy.