SOE Clarification on LA Jet Pack Sound

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Mythicrose12, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Mythicrose12

As this is the test server forums where one could expect responses from the developers, I would appreciate an explanation from SOE on why changes have been made to the jet pack noise level on the test center (though not indicated in patch notes as far as I can tell). If the thread is closed by a moderator, so be it. At least I tried to get offical feedback on this change rather than listening to posts about "it's a jet pack so it should be loud" or "iniltrators can't infiltrate nearly as good as light assaults."

Some clarification on the changes by an SOE employee may at least stop the above arguments and provide better insight for us players on how to better evaluate the jet pack volume.

Any players that want to argue about noise level, kindly go to any other the other threads discussing that or wait to see if an explaination is given here.
    • Up x 5
  2. maxkeiser

I've not been on the test server, but the jet pack noise needs to be far louder than it is on the live servers. It's getting the balance right that is the issue.

At the moment (on live) you can barely hear it. A jet pack can almost sneek up on you.
    • Up x 4
  3. Hagestol

Why? We are flankers, we are silent flankers and that is the way we were designed in alpha and the way we are at live today. It is all we've ever been. Why does it need to be louder? I hear a lot of needs to be and obviously, but it is never followed by a good reason.

LA is already underplayed enough, why nerf them further?
    • Up x 3
  4. LibertyRevolution

I am so tired of people saying that JumpJets should be loud because they are rocket packs...

JumpJets would be compressed air.. they go wooooosh, not BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG...

See compressed air jetpack:

Here is the new JumpJet sound:

This level of noise would only be acceptable on Icarus....
    • Up x 3
  5. Cl1mh4224rd

I'm not SOE, but I can tell you why. Over the months there have been a handful of complaints that a Light Assault is a better infiltrator than an Infiltrator, all because of the near-silent jet backs.
  6. Cl1mh4224rd

...the hell? You think that's how quiet the thing is in person and not the result of sound editing? Is that why everyone near it during operation is wearing hearing protection?

Here's how loud those things actually are:

• Up x 1
  7. Torpgen

Agreed, clarification on this change would be great. And like the OP said there are plenty of other threads about this issue that you can share your opinion on. An official response is what's needed.
  8. Mythicrose12

This thread isn't for discussing the jet pack noise level. I'm trying (hoping) for some clarification why SOE has changed it.

You are not SOE. I do not want your feedback yet in this thread. For all any of us know, there could be some other reason SOE put the noise in to the test server rather than what you may believe the case. You could be correct, you could be wrong. By the way, a handful of complaints isn't much justification to nerf a class. Compre the handful of JJ noise threads to say....magriders, prowlers, libs, and rocketpods. JJ noise threads are nearly non existant compared to the threads of any single of those topics.

People, this isn't the thread to complain about the JJ noise level. At least kindly wait until SOE posts an official response if you can't find one of the other threads to post in. I do not want to see this thread drown in the cries for and agains the noise level. I hope to receive a response before a moderator may or may not close the thread.
  9. Hagestol

Please don't tell me you are using realism as an argument to change class mechanics in a game, especially one in the future? That was just to prove him wrong ye? :)

Because if people were asking for jetpack sound nerfs because irl jetpacks are loud I might just have to quit this game, move to Paris and paint bread.
  10. LibertyRevolution

That still only goes woooosh... not bang, bang, bang, bang... so whats your point?
    Plus that audio on your video is REALLY loud..
    Why don't you go troll some other thread?
  11. cfnz

The common reasons for change seem to be:
    - adjusting something to how it was intended to be.
    - correction of bug or error.
    - adjustments as part of a class review - I don't recall when the LA was due on the roadmap but some changes may get drip feed in as completed.
    - adjustments based on player feedback.

If you don't find out why it was changed just provide feedback based on what you think of it as it is in test.
    • Up x 2
  12. Ztiller

I really wish that the children on these forums would stop calling everyone who disagrees with them "trolls."

Newsflash, your opinion is not the only valid one.
    • Up x 1
  13. Mythicrose12

The first three points are something we players do not know for a fact. Hence, one reason for asking for a clarification from SOE. I don't understand why people are trying to dismiss my request and speak for SOE themselves. Those people may inded have a correct assessment, but they could just as easily be incorrect. I (and likely many others) that play the LA almost exclusively would like to hear the offical reasoning. As this is the test server forums, this is the best place to get a response from an SOE developer or someone else with knowledge on this subject.

As for adjustments based on player feedback, I would almost guarentee there are far, far fewer posts and threads about jet pack noise as compared to the various threads on magriders, prowlers, rocketpods, daltons, zephers, etc. If SOE were to change the HA shield to no longer work against infantry firearms, don't you think someone would want an official explaination? Or if the infiltrator cloak now made a loud, obnoxious noise while cloaked instead of a single noise going in to (and out) of the cloak? After all, the JJ noise will make it easier to track the LA...why not make it easier to track the cloaked infiltrator the same way? No I'm not serious infiltrators so calm down.

Again...people you have your opinions about why the LA sound has been changed. Most of you have good arguments for and against but this isn't the thread to discuss them. Nor is this a thread requesting why the player base thinks/believes the sound has been put in place (regardless if correct or not). I'm specifically requesting official feedback from those that know (or have access to the data) at SOE. I risk a moderator closing the thread, but at least I'm trying to get an official response rather than clogging a thread with pure speculation. If a response is given, then we can shift this thread to discuss SOE's explanation.
  14. Cl1mh4224rd

Yes. I was putting to rest his implication that only "rocket packs" are "loud" and that compressed air packs are quiet. Unless, of course, the intent of his post was to state "the jet packs aren't loud because they're rocket packs; they're loud because they're compressed air packs." But that doesn't make much sense.

Also, we're talking about a future that still uses traditional projectiles and combustion engines. "It's the future" is, at best, a selective excuse. You might as well just say, "Nanites!"

What was your point in mentioning volume when you really wanted to talk about the actual sound effects? If you're criticizing the sound effect associated with the initial firing of the jet packs, I quite agree that it could be either toned down or removed outright.

So, turn it down a bit. The relative volume, especially compared to the talking and cheers of the much closer audience, was the point of my presentation of the video.
    • Up x 2
  15. LibertyRevolution

That they go wooosh not bang, that is the only reason I posted the video...

I am not at all concerned with the increased volume of the woooosh sound. (are others complaining about this?)
    It is the bang like a VS sniper riffle every time I hit the spacebar is unacceptable to me.
    I have 30days playtime as light assault, if I had to listen to it bang like that there is no way I could play that class for 6 hours a day.
  16. Mythicrose12

Shameful bump to keep on first page.
  17. Cinc

any actual word on this would be nice.
  18. fludblud

Thats it? I'm not on the PTS but all this time I thought the complaints were referring to some kind of thermonuclear explosion levels of loudness. That isnt loud at all, maybe the ignition at the start could use a little toning down with more emphasis on the wooosh but making such a big fuss over such an insignificant issue when there so many more pressing problems at hand with the game is pretty sad.
  19. skoorviel

Awww, OP feels important and wants *an official* response to a change for which the reasons are fairly self-evident.
  20. Derek Icelord

A game in the future where we still use WWII era technology? I'd say at this point even realism is as valid an argument as anything else.