So... New Implants Analysis - P2W Confirmed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BrbImAFK, Mar 30, 2017.

1. AllRoundGoodGuy

So you didn't get the one you wanted, and that's why it's a bad system?
    • Up x 1
  2. Stan

Basically. They took away what I already had and want me to pay many times over for a chance to replace it. Having to invest so much time for certs or money for DBC to have a chance at getting back to my old loadouts is crazy. If they let us use or purchase all the old implants and introduced new ones to gamble on and I do not think there would be such an uproar. I guess creating anything new would actually take some work though.

In addition to that players that have just been sitting on old implants have a huge advantage over new players. Because I played my VS a lot I could instantly get 5 on a couple implants. Any new player is at even more of a disadvantage and would have to shell out a ton of money and time to reach the same goal. I can easily see this as being one more reason the game is not fun for newbies.
  3. ListenTourBalls

Some of you are wondering about the impact of this new implant system on new players. Well I am a new player, been playing for about a month. As far as the old implant system goes, I didn't use it much as I didn't have a lot of energy. But I was able to aquire some and a few new implants through random drops.
    The new system however I do like one aspect: the implants are always on and don't require energy. That's an improvement.
    However since I hadn't been playing long, the implants/energy I had before amounted to a pittance in conversion, I was able to upgrade two level 1 implants once. Since I had just bought some daybreak cash right before, I spent some on an implant pack which I now regrethat as I got 1 new implant (ammo printer which is nice even at level 1 admittedly).
    I don't forsee myself EVER buying more implants with certs. 750 certs to a new player and I speak to some authority on this as one myself, is laughable and will never be worth the cert cost. I seriously doubt any player would choose 3 random implants over unlocking a weapon or vehicle upgrade. This is how new players will be affected, they will never buy more implants and with the removal of random drops, the community can expect 85% of players to look at the exorbitant cost of unpredictable (possibly worthless) results and forget about it for the rest of their planetside 2 career.
    • Up x 1
  4. Direlithe

Eh, it's more fitting to say that wallet warriors want everything now and without effort. And games where 'serious stuff' has to be worked on for 1+ years.. well they have their own set of problems.

Are you sure you're not minimizing the problem here? Implants add another advantage/difficulty tier to the game for newer players, low levels, and those who can't spend hours and hours earning certs, upgrading their loadout slots, and getting their aurax weapon directives done to stay competitive with mid/high level players who have done most or all these things.

It's easy to argue a case for implants, loadout slots, and ax weapons individually, but being higher on the advantage tier definitely gives players an edge and is something that should not be ignored.
  5. then00b

If they wanted a cert sink that wouldn't affect gameplay they had an easy option: lottery camo or cosmetic unlocks. They even tried to do something with the construction system which I imagine annoyed some people that didn't look too closely a few times.
    This system is pushing right up to korean mmo p2w gear.
    • Up x 1
  6. Demigan

These aren't lootcrates.
    Making a measurable progress towards what they want but slow is a good idea. But considering how they build the system now it would also completely destroy it unless the costs are truly fenomenal. 37.500 certs for BH for instance. And it would only reinforce the idea that it's pay2win. As opposed with an RNG system when someone paying does have a higher chance, but not guarantee to get what they want.

BH isn't that useful. It's not useless. As for being in the minority, who the hell cares? I've already told the majority that only a minority actually understands the new system. And as long as you don't understand it, you'll make wrong comments about it.
    Frankly how they did it was a stroke of genius. It's cheap enough that with a relatively low amount of certs you can rival veteran players, It's mostly a convenience system that supports player builds but rarely helps them directly in a fight and it's expensive enough that players can spend years and hundreds of dollars without ever finishing it. Which was the entire point! And they didn't even create a new system for this, they simply overhauled a system that wasn't doing it's job anymore.
  7. Demigan

Compared to buying a new weapon (1130+ certs for most along with their upgrades), this system is far more worth it.

A new weapon doesn't add stuff to your existing loadouts. It replaces a weapon you used before. The implant system? 750 certs and you get some new ways to make your infantry and tanks more versatile. If you only get duplicates? You get enough for almost the first two levels on one implant. Level 3 is already plenty powerful for most implants, and if you save up you can get one or two that you really love up to level 4.

And saving up doesn't take that long. For example I'm currently focussing on auraxing my Tanto. Played almost exclusively with it. First I unlocked the certs to upgrade the weapon itself, and now I'm halfway to getting it auraxium and I've got 2000 certs again. Enough for an implant pack and a weapon or expensive upgrade for another class/vehicle. I'll have reached the 4200 certs before I've auraxed it, more and more than enough for a new weapon and a bunch of implants/upgrades/weapons somewhere else. And that's assuming you stop with a weapon once you aurax it and move on, because many people don't and that saves them certs!
  8. then00b

It's a crate with loot, what the hell else would you call it?
  9. Demigan

In that case you can call 90% of the in-game shop a lootcrate. Because what you buy is represented by crates! Yeah!

True lootcrates are a micro transaction system. You get boxes for playing, which makes the player feel rewarded, but to get to the reward you need to pay money.
    PS2 doesn't do that. In fact it's completely up to you if you buy implants with it or not.
  10. then00b

Everything else in the game isn't random luck if you unlock something at all.
  11. Demigan

Doesn't make it a lootcrate. Many lootcrates in fact show you perfectly what you are going to get to entice you.
  12. then00b

A lootcrate isn't a lootcrate, am I arguing with a religious person? God isn't evil for killing every living land animal with a flood, because he's God. No I'm pretty sure that makes the character of god worse than Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Sauron, and Voldemort. They never managed to commit a global genocide.
    But I'm off topic.
    A crate, filled with loot, that affects gameplay, that is randomly chosen if you can even not get duplicates. That is pushing right up there with korean mmo's that love to pull in money with that lottery system. That is a lootcrate.
    Or would you like to define what a lootcrate is that isn't a straight up unlock? If you want another analogy that's pantheism, a useless definition, god is everything, including poop, and the underside of your bottom and privates. If you're calling simple unlocks lootcrates you're just talking in circles apologizing for nothing for some reason.
    I suppose I can put you down for the church of the poop emoji.

If you're now confused don't worry about it, that's how religious debates go, confuse a person so much they think genocide is good, as long as you do it in god's name. ie "Gott mit uns"
    I'll refrain from using religious analogies if it's too much, but if you keep trying to talking circles around a very obvious point you're not going to go anywhere.
  13. ListenTourBalls

My post was intended to be from a new players perspective. You saying that farming certs isn't that hard but keep in mind you already have almost everything else unlocked! Not only does this mean less things to spend certs on but farming is that much easier with these unlocks available to you! Try to think back and imagine your mindset when you were a new player. Are you honestly telling me that you would spend certs on implant packs instead of a new rocket launcher, upgrading your tools, armor, c4 or a new pistol etc?
    • Up x 1
  14. Demigan

Hey, the Hitler card!
    The Implant packs are just as much lootcrates as they are rocks. It's a simple matter of definition of what a lootcrate is, what a rock is, what Hitler is or even just what an Implant pack is.

Nice definition, looks like crap, probably because of where you pulled it from.

Look, the only thing that makes this a "lootcrate" to you is because there's RNG involved. Nothing more, nothing less. Everything else is just fluff to justify yourself. But a lootcrate isn't just an RNG box, as much as you might believe it.
  15. Demigan

Yes.

A new rocketlauncher? The basic one suits me fine. All I get from buying a new one is a different use for them.
    Implants? They give me something for multiple loadouts, multiple classes and even useful for vehicles. They give me a QoL improvement.
    Also my point wasn't that I would be swimming in certs, but that you earn more than enough from one single auraxium cycle to buy new weapons, upgrades and things including implants.

Also please consider that when I was a new player, there weren't XP bonuses for being in an alert, killing a tank/aircraft offered you 100XP just like for a player, there were no extreme menace kills, there was no bounties to be earned, no G2A XP, no ribbons, no new-player certs. Getting 1000 certs together was hard. It took ages. Now it takes maybe 1/5th the time it took then to get the certs together for a new weapon.
  16. then00b

So you went with pantheism, congrats.
    Lootcrates are rocks. Yes, god is rocks, god is trees, god is poop. You may now join the church of the poop emoji.

If you don't see a problem with RNG upgrade unlocks, that's your opinion, but you should state it loud and proud. I would think most would disagree with you, but that's for them to decide.

Come on now, loud and proud:
    "WHEN I SPEND 1000 CERTS ON A WEAPON, I DO NOT WANT THE WEAPON, I WANT A CHANCE AT A NEW WEAPON."
  17. Demigan

I knew people on these forums threw around a lot of bullcrap, but this is bullcrap and a turbo-powered fan.
  18. then00b

Say it, loud and proud now. When you spend certs on an unlock, you don't want the unlock, you want a chance at the unlock.
    Otherwise it's pretty clear you're a liar.
  19. BrbImAFK

That's getting to be enough now, folks. Please return to civility and quit trading insults. If you disagree, that's fine. But making essentially the same posts over and over just with added insults derails the thread. I don't want to have to petition the mods to lock this, so.......
  20. BartasRS

See? The problem is here. Don't you think that someone who invested considerable amount of time in the game deserves to have better stuff? Also, such person should be better and have an edge over low levels/casual players simply because of experience and knowledge of the game.

Now, I by all means do not say that implant system is perfect or fair for the veterans who had/worked on everything before patch. Personally, I despise any form of RNG boxes, especially if you can buy them with cash but it is the system we have now and everyone has to deal with it. It is not even truly P2W in my opinion. OFC you can spend monthly earnings buying boxes but then you pay for 'advantage' that semi-hardcore player gets for free. Well, not exactly free as time invested is some kind of cost/currency.

Again, I fully understand vets who lost their advantage along with implants they now struggle to get back but really good players, with knowledge of the game should easily be able to buy one 9-pack every 2-3 days. On my usual day I earn roughly 300 certs per session and I'm not even trying to max my XP income by hopping to bases that are about to get flipped. Sure, there are other things to put your certs into but if someone played this game for 4 years surely they can spend few weeks to get what they want.

For me this patch was one of the best things that could happen. I was about to run out of Energy to run those few implants I used and now I can play with 2 at once without spending energy! On top of that, I got really cool implants in first 3 (out of 4 I bought) boxes, not ultra rares but still my gameplay improved a lot and TBH even if I had Minor Cloak/Counter Inel I wouldn't use them coz those implants I have and use are more than enough.