SO MANY TR!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bobaflay, Jan 4, 2014.

1. FateJH

The video is poorly titled. It does not clearly display more then a dozen TR.

Additionally, it promotes terrible gameplay choices (run in front of allies that are firing), crutch dependence (you immediately pull an uncerted MAX soon after dying), you don't even play the MAX well (no backup, aggressive when should be cautious), and, over-all, you waste a lot of time running around aimlessly.
  2. Predator01cz

1) the recorded FPS is terrible
    2) the video shows nothing but average game play
    3) this whole thread is absolutely pointless
    4) calling this a lot of TR, you must be quite new to the game
    5) The garbage you recorded is everyday bread. Nothing special about it.
    6) 3/10 wouldn't subscribe, if this is the best you have to offer.

I really wish you witnessed the days of ZOE glory on Woodman...
    NC vs VS, 48+ on both sides, yet NC have only 20% of hex population
    • Up x 1
  3. DashRendar

Heh, told ya you'd love the SlugSaws :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Epic High Five

Man, I don't think they're BETTER than my slug Grinders but I just...can't...put...them...down

(except for the new Falcons)
    • Up x 2
  5. Bobaflay

yes very true
    • Up x 1
  6. Bobaflay

also you were the MAX!!!!! LOL. Plus I had seen a lot of TR before so I thought it was good to upload it
  7. Devrailis

You can't put SlugSaws down. They're welded to your arms.

FOREVER!!!

As they should be.
  8. SquattingPig

We gave you constructive feedback last time you posted videos like this and you completely ignored everything we told you.

The gameplay in this video is actually worse than the others. In the others at least you ran to the frontlines and got killed. Here, you're literally (literally literally) running around in circles while in a MAX.
    • Up x 1
  9. HLM

Was waiting for the part with TR in it.
  10. Liquid23

I heard there will be more TR in the 4 hour long extended remastered blu-ray release
    • Up x 7
  11. jOGI

XD
  12. Bobaflay

LOL. Well im gonna make a movie from this game. I need the people though
  13. Vinakis

My old laptop died fighting the FPS during the Beta days of Planetside 2. It chugged along right around 2-20 in the bigger fights. RIP

The beastly computer I built afterwards over a few months paychecks made Planetside 2 play (and look) like a completely different game! And now I can even hit the broad side of a Sunderer! :D
    • Up x 2
  14. Cloaking

Babies First Bio Lab :p
  15. Wafflepancake

16. Devrailis

After viewing your other PS2 video - the two-parter, I think there's a few things you need to know. You may know this already but I figured I'd give you some useful, constructive criticism.

First of all, do ignore the hate posts, they are of no value.

Second of all, your PS2 videos are not well received because they too are of little value.

Now, I don't make videos myself, but I've friends who do. They don't make gameplay videos but I have a feeling the principles that they apply are going to be useful to you as well.

You need to realize a few things.

1) You need some Preparation.

Content creators don't materialize good content out of thin air. This is going to be true no matter what you're doing. Making a Youtube Channel about Planetside 2 gameplay is going to be the same. Unless your video is capturing some random moment of demi-godhood where you destroy a squad single-handedly with nothing but a roll of toilet paper and a wet towel, 6 or 10 minutes of random gameplay isn't going to excite anyone, as you're discovering right now. You need to seriously think about what it is that you want to show your audience.

I recommend checking out this video made by James Rolf, AKA: The Angry Videogame Nerd. He goes into detail about his thought process and the actual technical process behind the making his videos, which appear simple on the surface but clearly require a lot of work. You`re probably not going to be making videos of that sort of complexity anytime soon, nor will you need the level of technical expertise or equipment that he has, but his video will give you an idea of the kind of work that gets put into making content that people enjoy. It doesn't just happen.

Before you decide to make anymore videos, I highly recommend you check out videos made by other fairly well known PS2 YouTubers, like Wrel and ItZMuRdA. There's actually quite a few YouTube content creators who target PS2 and they have a wealth of experience you can draw from just by watching their content. You can draw some inspiration from their work. Good content creators make a lot of mistakes along the way, NO EXCEPTIONS. See what the pros are already doing, learn from their their mistakes, don't reinvent the wheel.

There's a saying in the job industry that I work in:

Any monkey can type on a keyboard. The dumb monkey invents his own.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but believe me, cutting yourself off from the content that already exists out there is only going to hurt yourself.

2) You need Good Content:

You need to make people want to watch your videos. What your videos need is a hook, a reason why your audience is going to care. You also need to provide context for your videos. Unless you're some MLG level pro who's recording a level of badassery (most likely set to techno or whatever :rolleyes: ) that speaks for itself, you're going to have to communicate with your viewer so they know what's going on.

The videos you've posted so far have no context. Not only is the gameplay mediocre, but no one really knows what's going on. It's clear from the gameplay that you have no objective, there's no real hook to your videos. It's just random "Stuff", which anyone can do by logging in and running around in circles during a fight. That's why people ask for commentary.

You don't have to speak into a mic, even annotated-text commentary helps clarify what your video is about immensely. Guys like Wrel and MattiAce talk a lot during their videos, but they have a lot to say, and they speak very easily and clearly (and you have to admit, Wrel has a sexy sexy voice :oops:). But there are also guys like Mustarde who make a lot of videos without any voice commentary and rely on annotated text - along with superb gameplay - to make the audience go "Ah hah! I get it!". Mustarde's recent ASR video single-handedly convinced me to unlock the Stalker, which I am obviously not nearly as proficient with as he is.

That leads to the other thing you'll need. Good gameplay. If you're just running around getting killed all the time, no one is going to be interested. Good gameplay does not mean you're running around dominating people, in fact #MLGPRO montages can get kind of old after you've watched a few. You can even show footage of your epic fails and still show good gameplay, but you need to make it obvious and enjoyable to the audience. You need to make the audience realize that you're enjoying yourself.

Check out some of Ayam XII's PS2 videos for examples of god awful or random PS2 moments that actually work. He's not being #MLGPRO, not even close, but his videos are absolutely hilarious and you'll enjoy them for the banter that goes on between him and his squadmates, as well as his random outbursts when something doesn't go according to plan (or goes too well).

Maybe you know you're a ****** player and you want to get better so you're recording your journey from being a newb to at least a decent, above average player. Endear yourself to your audience and let them know you want to share that journey with them and maybe other new players can learn along with you as you play. Make them care enough to watch your videos.

That's called a hook.

3) You need to understand that you have Competition:

Notice I've already brought up a few names in this post. These are all people who have been posting PS2 videos, some since launch, some since beta and they already have a good sized following drawn from the PS2 playerbase. You're fighting for airtime here.

The main reason why I bring this up is because of your poor video quality. I've noticed in several of your videos your only comment is an apology for the poor video quality you record in.

Well, that's not good enough.

Your audience doesn't care about: "Sorry for the poor quality."

Why? Because the next guy is recording his gameplay in 1080p, and his gameplay is interesting. Your audience is going to move on to someone who is already doing it right because there's already plenty of people who are doing it right.

So, you may not want to hear this, but I would highly recommend, if you are serious about growing a channel, to upgrade your machine and get decent recording and editing software. Because if you don't and you continue to record in ****** FPS with lag and poor resolution, believe me, no one is going to be interested in watching that, I know I don't. If i want to watch PS2 gameplay with ****** FPS and lag and poor graphics quality, I can log in and start playing myself.

There's simply too many options out there with quality video showing quality gameplay for people to spend 10, or 5 or even 2 minutes watching a video with little meaningful action.
    • Up x 2
  17. Bobaflay

thanks for this. i have seen you in game one time. maybe you adde d me im on your server