[Suggestion] SMG slow ROF for CQC weapon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Banick, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Banick

Considered a CQC weapon, it falls short of the ROF when compared to carbines.

Needs some attention guys!
    • Up x 1
  2. Rhumald

no, it's damage rate is perfectly balanced with the other SMGs, it does not take very many bullets, and you don't even need to bring up the scope due to it's relatively negligible COF in close quarters. Throw a suppressor on it, and you've got one scary little beast that will leave your enemies wondering what hit them, and their friends oblivious to the fact.
  3. Linedan

The TR SMG fires at 900 rpm, faster than any carbine.
    The NC SMG fires at ~652 rpm, faster than most of our carbines except the GD-7F.
  4. AnuErebus

If we're talking about the NC variant, that is the NC's strong suit. Slow rate of fire, but more damage. It works just as well as the others, probably actually better than the TR version. Haven't spent any time with the VS so I can't say for that one. If you're worried about rate of fire, hit up the TR. TR SMG is fastest fire rate in game but each bullet does less damage.
  5. Erik

Don't think he is suggesting to up the dps, but the fire rate to make them more befitting of an actual SMG. To do this you would obviously decrease damage per bullet and increase magazine capacity accordingly. You would expect them to have higher rof (which reins supreme for a qcq weapon) than their carbine counterparts. This only holds true for the TR SMG I believe. The TRs is good but not oustanding, the VSs is solid, and the NCs just eh with GD-7f around.
  6. Ghostfox

The problem is that the CARV will still out DPS the Cyclone in CQC which is supposed to be the strength of the SMG.

I've lost to HA's who use the CARV and don't use their shields in CQC fights after getting the drop on them from behind and landing the majority of shots.
  7. Drsexxytime

TR SMG = MP5
    NC SMG = UMP 45

Except the stopping power of the Cyclone and UMP 45 aren't even close.
  8. Banick

The fact is the description calls it our CQC weapon. But we lose out to stock TR/VS Carbines.

So therefore it certainly is not a CQC variant. The description is misleading and you would do better with a shotgun.

I knew the response would be, ours does more damage, but that right there is the issue. We lose out majority of the time in fights because ROF is the name of the game, not damage. And when our SMG is supposedly "superior CQC", when it's not. You might as well save the SC and stick with a stock carbine for more damage.

Fact is, at the end of the day, NC SMG is lacking where it needs ROF. Whether that means a copy paste job of the TR one, I'm willing to lose the damage to be on a par playing field. I knew SOE would make this mistake with the NC SMG.
  9. Gavyne

Agreed, would like NC SMG be higher rate of fire, even if they have to tone down the damage a bit. I bought it because it's supposed to be high rate of fire. Yet it still compares nothing to VS/TR's rate of fire.
  10. Phazaar

I just don't know why they don't actually have meaningful differences between the weapons. Put the SMG ROF at 900-1000, Carbines at 700-800, ARs at 500-600, and vary the LMGs between 400 and 700 depending on purpose.

I'm using the SMG just because it handles like I'm playing TR, but yes, the stock TR+VS carbine is vastly superior to it, let alone when you throw a few certs into them. Ultimately right now the best CQC weapon in the shotgun, which I agree should retain highest TTK, but to balance this and make the SMG shine where its supposed to, I can't see why not buff its ROF and reduce its damage.

For the record, I support doing the same thing with the VS+TR, such that faction traits remain.
  11. forkyar

its fine how it is
  12. Jezs

TR SMG has about 4% more raw dps than the CARV, just sayin~

It won't make a difference if they start shooting 0.1s before you though, as with most CQC situations in PS2
  13. Drsexxytime

Maybe SOE will listen to LVLCap...

Our pump-action better be KILLER.