Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Virtago_Swayy

I oppose any change to the revive mechanic that puts a cooldown on players accepting revives. Why? Because I don't want to run around wasting my time casting revives that can't be accepted, or trying to.

TBH I don't really mind the way it is now, but if you need to nerf revive, then do it through something that is an attribute of the medic or the gun, not OTHER players. Putting a cap/softcap or whatever on players accepting revives is dumb and would be needlessly annoying to medics.
  2. Ceskaz

Of course, a proper indicator of who can be revived should be implemented. (like the lack of skull which indicates a mates to revive).
  3. SevenTwo

Yep, that would be an easy and effective solution.

Building on Halkesh's idea of "death states" based on Wolfenstein ET, it would also be possible to introduce "levels" of death depending on the damage taken when the person was killed.

For instance, if you just barely nick someone and plink off the last of their health by shooting them in the legs or body, they'd go into "wounded" state (the current skull & crossbones state), while an "overkill" amount of damage (25-50% more damage than total health - killing headshots by high powered weapons / tank shells / rocket launcher damage would fall into this category) or a sniper headshot could put enemies straight to the "permadead" state.

This would also introduce more relevance to sniping as a player role, as snipers would be an asset for "permakilling" enemy players accurately at range, taking out medics and engineers out of the fight entirely before the assault troops move in.
  4. Ceskaz

Enemy territory had also a system when dieing induced a wounded state (your body was on the ground and slightly moved legs and torso indicating you could be healed up). But you could be killed again in this state, with no chance of being revived this time.
  5. UberBonisseur

Hardly ?

You just loosely point your Necronomicon level 5 towards the corpse for ONE second, do a ritual ADADADADance with your healing aura active, and dodge bullets while healing yourself.

And if the guy doesn't shoot the zombie you just raised right away, he'll have to face a full health/shield guy because hey, the shield recharge timer actually ticks when dead !

You must be mad/blind not to see how broken revives are in PS2.
    When the rez time is shorter than the average TTK you've got a problem.
  6. Akashar

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  7. Halkesh

I don't think it's a good idea. These weapon are enough frustrating, you don't need to be one-shoted AND at perma-death status.

I think the new revive ability should be created with these goal :
    1. Revive ability should be enough effective to revive 10-15 ally in a small amount of time but only AFTER the battle.
    2. Revived ability shouldn't be effective DURING battle
    3. MAXes should be revivable but not unlimited time.
    4. Ennemy should be able to make dead body unrevivable.
    5. One-shoted player should be revivable to prevent frustration
    6. Revive xp should be changed (more in some situation, less on other situation)

1. Keep the actual time to revive.
    2. Revived soldier have to wait 10 sec before their shield start to regen, plus they are dazed for a time.
    3. Follow this thread. MAXes should have choice between refuse the revive, accept the revive as a [nude MAX class] or accept the revive as a MAX. This last choice cost infantery ressources to the MAX. (Between 100 and 350, 175 seems acceptable)
    4. Ennemy can "kill" dead body to make them unrevivable. The cadavre disapear and the medic can't revive it. This action don't give xp.
    5. To prevent frustration, "killing" dead body can be done only with knife (MAX punch, small weapon, shell, explosive, ramming and other don't work).
    6. Base revive xp stay at 75. Medic get 100 xp for MAXes or ally that are "high/extreme menace" for ennemy. Medic get 25 xp from ally who has been revive less than 10 sec ago or/and earn less than 100 xp. Revive spree isn't rewarded.
  8. SevenTwo

But how do you define "after battle" in #1 and what would be the point of having a medic that cannot combat revive, when it's easier to just re-deploy and spawn at your selected spawn location?

Granted, no combat revives would put an emphasis on healing the living, but as long as the TTK is so short, I just don't see that working as a valid alternative to having combat revives available. People die in droves during big fights, often completely unpreventable deaths - without the tools to extend TTK significantly, we need combat revives in some form.
  9. HerpTheDerp

And, again, we come to the conclusion that Battlefield-style healing/revive system is the best way of doing it.
  10. Teoke

Keep the revive system as it is now. It keeps the epic battles and firefights going wich is what planetside is all about.

If we have to nerf reviving, make shields and class specific abilities no longer recharge while dead. So when you get revive, you stand up with 0 shields and 0 Overshields if you are a HA, leaving you more vulnerable upon accepting revives.

If we are to make an "Unrevivable" mechanic, they could do it so if you are killed by a headshot, you are unrevivable. It'll require skill and is more convenient to do instead of running up and meleeing the body as other peoples have suggested.
  11. Ceskaz

I don't think headshot should prevent revive. Damage after death should prevent it.
  12. Halkesh

I define "after battle" the time when a revived man can be revived without be instant killed. See #2 for combat revive con. (dazed, no shield/ability refresh during the dead)
    Actualy, be revived means you can directly go fight again and accepting a revive count as -1 death. Actualy redeployng means travel time.

That's why I propose new medic tools (see my signature for the link).

@Teoke
    I agree with your idea to making shield and ability no longer reload while dead, but I think you idea about headshot = unrevivable dead is madness.
    Actually be killed by headshot means very fast / instant death (sniper), this generaly cause frustration but medic can help to prevent this frustration. That's why I think unrevivable death by headshot is a really bad idea.
    When I've say kinfe can make dead unrevivable, it's not by random choice : if you can kill cadavre in 2-3 knife shot, it means you can do it only on controled / safe territory, not during the battle (you still can do it but that means you really hate this guy :p)
  13. RyanGUK

Absolutely agree with this, would be nice to see one of the developers comment on this to see whether they have any plans to include in into a patch. It's the fact you've got revive grenades now that grant you an absolute ton of XP in one throw. That lets you revive a squad almost instantly, how is that considered balanced within the game?

What I'd like to see is firstly, limiting the number of times you can be revived before you are ultimately dead and you're going to have to respawn. Secondly, adding an ammo number to your medic gun and the more you upgrade it, the more revives you are granted until you have to resupply back at the spawn or a sunderer. That type of ammo wouldn't be covered by ammo packs either, meaning you'd have to actually get out of the fight. I'm not putting a number on that ammo amount, but a balance could be struck I think.

I think revive & healing rate is fine, but something to nerf the medics ability to revive just about everybody except himself needs sorting.
  14. Hiding in VR

I watched a video someone posted, purporting to to show that medics are OP. Within 30 seconds I was shouting "Shoot the medic. Shoot the medic. SHOOT THE ******* MEDIC!" as the player ran round killing absolutely everyone other than the medic :rolleyes:

Personally I have no issues with the current revive mechanics.
  15. Arch

You guys are flogging a dead horse.

Current mechanics are fine, battles are won and lost, territory is fought over, and the servers are still up. The revive issue is a none issue and does not break the game. Sure you may find it detrimental to your game, but as an organised squad it alows me to keep my guys together longer, and fighting harder than if the mechanics were changed. TTK in this game is shorter that the time it takes a medic to rez, so kill the medic when you see him rezing, then kill the player with no shields he just rezed.