remove or nerf fire suppression

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dreyone, Jan 30, 2017.

1. dreyone

fire suppression has been abused by virtually every ESF pilot in the game for years as a means to gain psuedo invulnerability. Fire suppression is abused to give players HP whenever they need it, even when the ESF is not actually on fire. Fire suppression should either be a.) nerfed so that it only works when the ESF is on fire, and only restores enough hp to put the fire out, with a reasonably long cooldown so that players cant spam it the way they do now, or b.) remove it altogether as its total cheese the way its implemented right now. It may be just easier to remove it.

Also bring back thermals or refund our certs

Alternate suggestion:
    Instead of removing or nerfing fire suppression, you can also simply change its name, since its not actually used to put out fires. You can rename it to "god mode on demand" or something to that effect. Note: if you choose to keep fire suppression, you may as well remove every other attachment that goes in this slot, since virtually no pilot uses them. The only way to stand a chance against other aircraft in the game now is to use fire suppression (because everyone else uses it). The tactical disadvantage from not using fire suppression is so great that it completely monopolizes the utility slot
    • Up x 4
  2. FateJH

I think that's more or less a good summation about how it used to work back when it got almost no use.
    Neither.
  3. dreyone

almost no use is a lot better than having fire suppression hold a total monopoly on the utility slot because the alternatives dont give you a magic god mode button

its incredibly annoying when you unload an entire mag into an enemy ESF at point blank range, and just before he dies he hits his little magic god mode button, gets half his hp back, whips around and kills you as you reload. the only way to stand a chance against that pilot is to either ambush them with a group or use fire suppression yourself
  4. Eternaloptimist

I'm not a flyer and I didn't know esfs had something that you make sound like the HA overshield. But, in fairness, they've been pretty heavily hit by the thermals and hornets changes. whilst I'm quite happy that infantry farming is less of an easy option now I guess we ought to leave them alone for a bit.

Besides, what will I do with my A2G launcher if no one plays esf any more because of being persecuted with too many nerfs?
  5. FateJH

You also have secondaries at your disposal. Don't forget about those.
  6. Eranorz

ESFs cost 350 nanites and are squishy as hell, they can be damaged by pretty much anything. So you're suggesting to take a vehicle which is as squishy as a harasser and make it even squishier by taking away the one tool it can use for survivability :rolleyes:

If anything fire suppression should be made default for all ESFs, freeing up another utility slot.
    • Up x 3
  7. OldMaster80

FS used to work the way you described and it had no purpose: no one wanted to use it because in many cases you just explode without seeing the fire.
    The problem might be with fact FS is more effective on aircraft than the ground version. Honestly there is no reason not to equip it, in particular because another valid choice was engagement radar and that has been given everyone for free.

Regarding thermals no way. The new version should probably be refunded at least for AI weapon.
    But that **** should never come back.
  8. ObiVanuKenobi

Just nerf everything and everyone will be happy.
  9. OldCuban

No th
    No thanks!

ESFs have already been nerfed too far imho.

If a change like this was ever implemented, they'd have to significantly reduce the cost of pulling one.

I will agree that the thermal nerf makes zero sense to me too though.

I'd also like my certs back, since it isn't cheap and I have it on pretty much every single weapon.

But alas, that'll never happen.
  10. Pikachu

Keep it up. This is the 9th nerf thread this month. January is over soon.
  11. BrbImAFK

Fire suppression is fine. So is the cooldown. Quit whining. Although, I do agree that "fire suppression" probably isn't the best name. Perhaps stealing the MAX's "emergency repair" would be more appropriate.

And, as I've discussed in depth in other threads, thermal nerf is perfectly justified for air UNTIL AND UNLESS they fix the disparity between A2G and G2A. If they fixed that, I'd be totally fine with old thermals coming back. However, I still think ground vehicles should have thermals like they were, but with much less range. Protection and easy identification of C4 fairies and close-range threats, but not the ridiculously long-ranged "spot all the things" mode it used to be.
    • Up x 1
  12. Armcross

13. adamts01

Agree with everything. ESFs were nerfed hard, but they were all the wrong nerfs. Fire supression is broken and should be gone or reduced to levels comparable to every other unit in the game that has it. Flares should be ammo based and help against real missile mechanics, but we won't get that, so the current flares we have are pretty balanced. Scout Radar is fine too. The people who ***** about it don't realize how much it ***** an ESF to run it. Thermals were fine, it was the only way to realistically fight from the air, especially at night. Maybe the range could have been reduced, but thermals as a mechanic isn't the problem, the problem is infantry's inability to fight back with lethal and skill-based weapons. So there you go, another bandaid, thermals gone, along with combined arms. GGclose Daybreak. I'm not even logging on to collect my monthly daybreak cash I've got coming for the next 7 months, there's just nothing left about this game to make it worth it, another Call of Duty wannabe.
  14. Armcross

But plenty here in Forumside
  15. Kcalehc

Change it so that it instantly stops regenerating health if the ESF takes additional damage during the 5s regen period. Making it less useful in combat, but still somewhat useful overall.

The original intent appears to be to allow you to not-explode after a combat if you were badly damaged but not dead. Now its just used as an extra 25% health in combat to allow you to win. This change would put it back to a more useful after-combat ability.
    • Up x 3
  16. Armcross

Nanait-auto repair already got that role.
  17. dreyone

Fire suppression is for noobs. its specifically designed so that unskilled players who dont know how to dodge fire can easily survive and beat higher-skilled pilots because they have a magic god mode button.
  18. dreyone

One time I was fighting an enemy ESF and landed almost every shot I had on him. Emptied out all my rounds dropping him to on-fire state about 3 or 4 times before finally ran out of ammo. I had to disengage because i had no ammo left, and he killed me. On the kill screen I could see he still had about half hp left. Explain to me how I am the noob when I landed 3x as many hits on his ESF than he did on me? Using fire suppression doesn't make you a skilled pilot, it makes you a noob. The real skilled pilots are the ones who dont use it because they are skilled enough at flying that they can dodge the fire
  19. dreyone

fire suppression desperately needs to be nerfed. You also need to take out that BS shield garbage you added for vehicles and heavy assaults. There is no reason why a sunderer should be able to survive a FULL load of hellfire missiles and rotary cannon fire (not talking about one mag here, literally ALL mags)
  20. ObiVanuKenobi

If he used fire suppression 3 or 4 times you didn't land almost every shot, you missed almost every shot because it has a 45 sec cooldown at max rank and that's more than enough to kill someone.
    Picking the right equipment is a part of "skill" too. Someone trying to race in a tractor isn't a better driver, he's an idiot. You're simply in denial and trying to find reasons why you lost when in reality you got outplayed.
    • Up x 1