[Suggestion] Remove Continent locking!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Demigan

I don't think discouragement is the way to go. You want people to enjoy playing, not go away. And let's just assume the respawn timers aren't as incredibly long as you proposed because even half a minute empties the continent almost instantly. This would also create nasty combo's: What if both continents are getting close to a capture? Then you are stuck with long respawn times and high nanitecosts wherever you go. Basically the continent would end around 21 VP's, and resort to "who has the most VP generators online at this very moment".
  2. Trokari

Continents do get locked way too easily and often right now. This breaks the gameplay ALOT! The whole continent lock system often disrupts good fights and sends people logging off. I would remove the locking system altogether. The popular continents are Indar and Esamir anyways. The locking system doesn't bring too many people to the unpopular continents like Hossin.
    By removing the continent locking we'd have longer lasting good fights atleast _somewhere_.
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

yup,
    we can see why they've done it, both so the playerbase isn't fractured across 4 maps and also so we don't simply ignore the bad/unpopular maps.(because they spent money making hossin so you WILL play it whether you want too or not dammit!)
    but in reality, when we're in the middle of primetime on indar, booting us off the map and telling us to play on hossin is a TERRIBLE idea.
    a third of the player base usually just quit, its 50/50 whether i'm amongst them, it is hard trying to convince yourself to go join the empty amerish/hossin when 30 seconds ago you were in an awesome huge battle on indar.
  4. Exitus Acta Probat

There was a time when Indar was damn near constantly unlocked... and it sucked donkey dick big time, pop dropped because of it.

Lets never go back to that ever again:rolleyes:
  5. Exitus Acta Probat

Its like saying "I love chocolate, so I want to only eat chocolate forever"

No you don't... you would get so sick of it in the first week or two, you would never want to see it ever again.
    • Up x 1
  6. Trokari

I think that's a huge oversimplification. Fact is most people DO want to play only Indar and Esamir and forcing them to play other maps causes PS2 to leak players.
    The second problem is, as stated before, that AFTER the continent lock and BEFORE getting up to speed on some other open continent does take quite a long time. This causes some number of people to quite the game, which nerfs the fights on the new continent and ultimately leads to less potentional profit for DBG.

By far the largest problem in PS2 is that Daybreak reps don't really participate in any of the conversations here. This gives players the feeling their ideas and improvement suggestions fall on deaf ears. You can ask yourself, does this make you want to invest you money into the game? Do you really want to support a company that doesn't seem to give a crap about their customers? I know what my answer to those questions is.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sergio Lima

i miss the old alerts, Biolabs, techplant and ampstatio conquest. Sugestion drop continent alerts and HIVE generate bonus discount for vehiclues.
  8. TR5L4Y3R

i would be for a increase of vp to something like 40 (or more)
    and change bases to give a vpvalue (that also nerfs hive generated VP's)

instead of a continentlock the map gets a reset and people get warped back to their gates (gradualy)
  9. NameForForum

Hi, i admit it i would never leave Indar. And why not? Dont look down on Indar. It is a good continent with wide areas like Esamir and has same areas like Amerish. (Hate Hossin so dont wanna mention it. ;) )

Ok what happens if continent locking is removed?
    You let Indar open for 24/7 when it would be full everytime in the primetimes and maybe people starts to buy the membership to get in.

But do you really waint in the queue?
    To only remove the continent lock isnt the solution. Maybe people see the queue and log of again? What now?

We need a overal solution, with the other continents included and with the zergs in Indar to lure them out to the other continents so other people can start in Indar.

Maybe the need different alerts. An alert for the people on Indar, give them benefits for 30 minutes (or whatever) for leaving and fighting other continents. And counter measurements for the other players not on Indar.
  10. LordKrelas

The faction balance queue? You mean the thing that tries to prevent total steam roll of numeric advantage?

You want to lure people out of Indar... with Alerts that say 'get off this rock'
    Say what? You want Indar Alerts that drive people off the very continent the alert is on?

What do you mean by counter measurements?

Solution to what problem? That Indar isn't always open?
  11. PlanetBound

+1 to end locking
    • Up x 1
  12. Pikachu

Make it regular map rotation instead, or continent shrinking.
  13. Okjoek

Yes, I hate being forced from a fight to go to ***-mear.
  14. Exitus Acta Probat

Many as well hate being forced to fight to go to ****-dar.
  15. laurns

Why not have the winning faction that reaches 20 VP points choose what faction bonus they get with a voting system for that faction and dont lock the continent.
  16. Trokari

So tell me, why's Indar and Esamir always full, even when Amerish or Hossin is open?

The number one problem is the continent lock. When it lock, it creates an action vacuum and causes numbers of players to leave. I don't think this needs repeating, but I will just in case.
    The number two problem is, people are forced to fight on the continents they don't like. Esamir and Indar are clearly the favorites. Simple math goes, that if you force people to something they don't want, they will leave.
  17. TR5L4Y3R

i can play on any continent but ****erish ...
  18. Exitus Acta Probat

As they did back when Indar was almost constantly unlocked, it eventually became like a god damn ghost town.

Lets us learn from the past mistakes and not repeat them.

If you have your favorite ice cream at every meal every day, it eventually will no longer be your favorite, and you soon won't even be able to stand the sight of it.
    • Up x 2
  19. HAXTIME

I have nothing against Continent Locking per se, but make it require 40 VP and then we are set.
  20. velie12

The reason is because most players know that nobody will go to Hossin, so they automatically move to another continent because they don't want to fight on an empty continent.
    • Up x 1