[Suggestion] Remove base turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thesweet, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Taemien

Then your platoon derped. Sorry.

Smart play beats derpy play.
  2. Thesweet

Ll if you read the full post you would have seen I suggested a counter like the one is ps1 where the turret is automated. Maybe an alert or it shows on the minimap, or spy traps? Idk, all I know is there are counters for everything else but this.
  3. Allin

It isn't really possible to make them disappear when they are not frontline bases, and part of preparing an attack is diversion and disruption, essentialy giving infiltrators very important "behind enemy lines" role that can make or break attack on techplant or amp station.

You are just a bit mad, becasue you get attacked by some camping infy when you take mossie out. That's his role, as yours is to look around for hacked turrets.

I like the idea of automated turrets, but that does not solve your problem. Once hacked, it would still attack you when you are launching an ESF, so nothing would change.
  4. Thesweet

Personally I enjoyed the turrets in ps1, you could upgrade them and everything. The turrets I a this game are just too easy to hack when a base is being emptied on a push out or your getting an aircraft from that base away for the front line. Would would also see is suggested a better defence mechanism against base hackers in an unoccupied base. Maybe the option. To shutdown base turrets but it takes 30 seconds to shutdown. And then start up? Because I cannot destroy them without weapons lock.

FYI, these turrets are not enjoyable, the are very plain compared to ps1 turrets and so is the engineering class.
  5. FBVanu

I LOVE phalanx turrets.. AA or AV..

most people don't have the appropriate respect for the Phalanx...

especially not the foot zerg... they just kept on running up that hill... right towards.. well, you see...

but if there had been just two decent tankers taking pot shots back at the turret, I would have had to bail out of it.
    It is not overpowered, especially not against vehicles.. unless you count the Flash.. and it is very weak and blows up far too easy.. And I use it A LOT.. I made tons of certs repairing them.. especially in the old days, when each amp tower had 3 AA and 3 AV.. now there are not enough of them. They are NOT useless.. they are fun, if you know how to use them. Here is recent kill streak with 'em.. (before the patch that destroyed my ability to play the game)

TimeEventLocationMethod
    Aug 28, 12:52:05 PM seanasty Indar
    [IMG]
    Spear Phalanx Turret (Anti-Vehicle)
    Aug 28, 12:51:54 PM sniper1bit Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:51:16 PM scurtus2017 Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:51:09 PM FxPain Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:50:55 PM Rankkor Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:50:02 PM Emmsiiie Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:50:00 PM DivineExord Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:49:13 PM OMGLMFAO Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:48:45 PM KawaiiPandaDesu Indar
    [IMG]
    Aug 28, 12:48:40 PM Thebast4444 Indar
    [IMG]
  6. warmachine1

Better replace them with buildpads that u walk to, pres E, choose turret type & spawn it.
    It can possibly cost resources.
    Make infiltrators only able to hack empty pads.
  7. Thesweet

I wasn't in that platoon, but as I I said. It takes a few seconds to anihalation a vehicle as it drives out. You may be happy just to sit at a turret all day to make sure it doesn't get hacked, but I find that increadably boring.

If you read my whole post I also said at the end that a a mechanic to counter hacks would also be good rather than remove them. As it stands now there is no counter appart from constantly checking a turret, even in bases well behind the front lines, and well, I don't play this game to drag my face around on the ground all day so it isn't something I am going to stick around for.
  8. Thesweet

They are useless way behind the front lines and they shoot you down as you pull a mossie because they can hack a turret np without anyone noticing. No counter for it, no skill involved.
  9. FBVanu

that is not a problem anymore. Now turrets show faction colors. You can tell from afar if a turret is your faction color or not.
  10. Taemien

Recon Darts and Scout Radar ensure you don't have to stand at a turret all day.

Big Red Dorito also makes them stand out. The turrets also display the faction color of the one who controls it. You know visual queues that make it apparent that you might get wrecked. Since base turrets Normally point outwards, you can take a glance at them before rolling into the kill zone.

There is always the chance that an infil will hack one as you pass by and gib you. But kudos to him for waiting and staying hidden. God knows they complain enough about not having enough to do. Sorry to say, but I think I'm killed 10x more often by teammates than I am by hacked turrets.

This is a good thread though. Gives me some ammo to use when infils complain about cloak being useless or that they need more 'stuff' to do. Bam, we got a multi-page thread of people wanting it fixed or nerfed.
  11. Thesweet

Kudos for staying hidden? You make it sound like it is difficult. That being said, infils do have very little todo, I think they should incorporate more defences in the base to counter infantry with sercurity systems that protect the main phalanx turrets. These systems can be hacked by enemy infils and when they do they signal a corruption in the system on terminals or something. The infils in brink had a good system that allowed remote control of friendly turrets etc as an incentive to protect the systems. Maybe give base radar like in ps1 as well as part of that system, that would help stop hacker well behind friendly lines without all the boring checking.
  12. Foxirus

I do this ALL the time. I get so many rage tells from people because I hacked out their turret then proceeded to kill 3 tanks parked 80m out.

Its especially true for deployed prowlers. Once deployed, They cannot deploy fast enough if my shots are hitting the rear, All they can do is watch their hamburger die a slow death.
  13. Foxirus

While we are at it, Lets go ahead and do away with capture points. Nobody uses those, Right? Everyone is in their tank and bases don't need defending.. Why have points?

The sad part is... Someone is going to think this is a serious post...
  14. maxkeiser

Base turrets are fine as they are. Very useable on defence - use them the whole time.

Stop asking for things to be removed ffs.
  15. Thesweet

I can tell you didn't read the whole post.
  16. Thesweet

You obviously didn't read all of my post. Someone suggested allowing to shut them down to stop them from getting hacked and I like that idea since I can't destroy them without weapons lock.
  17. Foxirus

Here, Let me give you a few tips I learned along the lines of my newbie days.

1. Check in front of vehicle spawn pad for tank mines (Preferably BEFORE you pull a vehicle)
    2. Before pulling air, Scout the surrounding skies to see if there are any enemy air craft waiting for you to pull it.
    3. Check your local AA turrets to ensure none have been hacked. If hacked, Destroy and do not repair.
    4. Before coming up on a base from what ever cover you have, scan the distance to see if any enemy turrets are highlighted. Any and all occupied enemy turrets will be marked on your HUD as active even if you don't spot it.
    5. Always look ahead to watch for tank mines.
    6. When in doubt, Fly/drive another route.

When it comes to the AA turrets, You can take 10 more seconds and scan the area with your infiltrators Sensor Darts. This will detect any stealthed infiltrators in the area (Provided they are not running a Sensor Shield).

You can go one step further by checking your hex on your map to see the population level pie chart. Only see your faction color? You're all good.
  18. Thesweet

I know all these little tricks already, mostly from ps1. I would like to point out they are increadably mundane to do this every time i pull a vehicle in a "friendly base" that would assume it would be at least semi-"secure".
  19. iller

Uh oh.... an Infiltrator actually manage to affect a Tank Convoy in some way :rolleyes:

REMOVE IT FROM GAME!!
  20. LodeTria

Could we maybe buff the AI one? It's pretty ****.
    As for AA/AV effectiveness, they are at their best when a battle-line is in-front of them, not when they are the front line. When that happens they become death-traps. Some of their placement is questionable also.