[Suggestion] Remove base turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thesweet, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Thesweet

They are hardy any use. They constantly get hacked by enemy infils they get used to hit you in the rear of the tank as you leave a base, or shoot you down at a landing pad as you come into repair.
    I think it would be more beneficial to the defender to just remorse them unless they were automated like the ones in ps1.
    • Up x 2
  2. Jygal

They make amp stations and tech plants actually defensible. The problems you're describing only occur when a very small number of people are engaged in a battle and PS2, for better or for worse, is not balanced around small numbers of people.
    • Up x 4
  3. andy_m

Just because it might appear, at times, to be beneficial to the defender to simply remove "hardly used" turrets, it would remove an interesting part of the game, for some. Hacking turrets is a great way to use up your time while you're waiting for the cap timer to count down, and then, as you pointed out, take out unwary enemy aircraft.

So, I say no to removing turrets, thank you. If you do not want them to be hacked for enemy use then you should take care of them, or destroy them. And it is also up to you, as the defender, to know the status of your turrets to then fix or destroy as you see fit...
  4. Taemien

From an attacking and defending perspective... removing Turrets would be a detriment. I like them. They are an interesting obstacle when attacking a base as they will wreck a tank column if not dealt with. And as a defender, if I can keep them up, I can wreck a tank column rolling up.

If you're worried about them being hacked, defend them.

Sounds like the OP is lonewolfing it. See.. that can be a major issue if you're casually logging in. Deploying to an Amp Station and then roll out with a tank.. only to get bombarded in the *** by a turret that SHOULD be friendly.

If you roll with a platoon, that doesn't happen. Someone's going to be watching your back. Well someone will more likely watch your back depending on the platoon. Communications is King in Planetside 2. Those who don't have it get beat by those that do.
    • Up x 8
  5. Demigan

There's another thread asking to nerf the "OP AV turrets everywhere". It's all a kind of perspective.

They are useful, I use them all the time to defend a base under attack. You should try it too.
  6. NC supporter

ER MAH GURD NERFZ STUFFS I DNT UNDERZSTAND EVENS IF COST OTHERS ENJOYMNT.
  7. 00000000000000000000

I saw the name of the thread and OPs avatar and I laughed. Then I opened the thread and saw that hes a Mossie pilot and I laughed harder.

Some of the biggest tank & aircraft killers and OP wants them removed.
    • Up x 1
  8. Tuco

Then remove the grief points I get for destroying friendly turrets, so I don't get shot in the ***.
    • Up x 1
  9. NC_agent00kevin

I greatly enjoy hacking those turrets and wrecking your armor column before they know what is going on. (that actually literally happened last week)

I also enjoy it when enemies get up there and I weed them out and proceed to jump up and down on their dead bodies.

Base Turrets make important bases actually defensible. You dont dare cruise up to a Tech Plant before wiping out the turrets on that side (or sending a team in to take control of the top, which is my favorite way) if there is any real fight being put up.

Turrets blow up tanks. We shouldnt be removing them because they blew up a tank.
    • Up x 1
  10. SacredRay

Yes it is lol. Base design is the main definitive factor. The fact that Liberators and ESFs don't get oneshotted outside of a 48+. Brainless grenade spam is non-existant. Squad Play is encouraged. Vehicles play to their intended roles and are actually a concious decision when bought. Infantry engagements are less luck and more skill due to the reduction in packet loss and bad detection. The fact that Vanu HA's don't auto-win just because they have the 0.75x hack on their filthy LMGs.

With large numbers of people, too much nonsense occurs and the game devolves into "Farm Simulator Pt 2: If Only I Had Rocket Pods".
  11. Valthis

If anything i think they should buff the AV turrets.As they are now they cant destroy 1 lightning before it can destroy the turret.
    • Up x 2
  12. Pikachu

Give them another cannon like max
    Give them another cannon like MAXes and give them an infantry style shield.
    • Up x 1
  13. Champagon

No, base turrets have a role in this game......This is NOT CoD, you have to use strategy. If you are getting wrecked by base turrets then get out of your ESF and blow it up with something else............
  14. Stargazer86

There are two issues with base turrets. The first is that in a big fight, they just evaporate under the fire of the 20+ tanks rolling towards you. They take a decent amount of time to repair, then are dead again in an instant. The second is that base design varies the effectiveness of turrets. Some are pointing off in useless directions or have way too much junk in the way to get good firing angles. Others, like the ones atop Tech plants, have fantastic arcs of fire, are relatively protected, and can obliterate an enemy advance.

It's a hit or miss thing, really.
  15. Thesweet

Even if you have a platoon rolling out a tank can be destroyed in seconds from the rear, I have seen it happen.

Also bases that aren't even getting attacker that are the only ones a that are near by to pull air, I do t want to have to turn around to each tower and check every single AA turret before I pull air just to make sure it is clear.

Yes I do lone wolf, you know why? Because the pop on the aussie server is low. It could be because there just isn't enough people in the Oceania region or maybe because this game got boring with things like competitive, stats and balance.
  16. Thesweet

I
    am talking about friendly turrets getting hacked in an empty base then blasting you as you pull an ESF or tank.
  17. Allin

Turrest are very important, problem is almost no one uses them right, repairs them or minds them.
    Argument for removing turrets is that they can be used against you? How about defend them and cover them with AI mines?
    Is it so hard to take infiltrator, and take a free kill with mines when enemy infi is tossed out of hacked cannon?
    Is it so hard to man the turrets in defense? 4 AA guns manned and NO AIR is a treat as long as people in them are lemmings thinking those are hitscan guns.
  18. AAYF

They are only useless on towers and ampstations. What we need is better base design so a attacker can't just waltz into a base and make turrets irrelevent.
  19. Thesweet

I am talking about it from a defensive perspective. It is to easy for a infil just to hack a flak turret behind enemy lines then wait for you to come in half dead the takeout the remaining amount of health. There are no counters for the hacking to prevent it or alert you to it. This never happened in ps1 because the turrets where automated and hot you a couple of times whilst at the maximum range.
  20. Thesweet

I am talking about bases that are out of the fight because sometimes you cannot get air or armour from particular bases.