[Suggestion] Rebalance the Vanguard shield. It's fine in MBT' vs MBT, all other situations it's OP.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Village, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Village

The Vanguard shield. As in the title i believe the Vanguard shield is almost balanced in a 2/2 MBT situation, but in all other situations it simply makes the Vanguard too good. If you get the jump on a Vanguard the shield is just too good, if you hack a turret and take a Vanguard by surprise from the rear with a Phalanx AP turret, they kill you and the turret long before you have the chance to kill them. It is the same with a Lightning. No other MBT would survive but the Vanguard can easily.

All other MBT abilities are incredibly situational and hardly useful most of the time. The Vanguard shield is usually better than the situational MBT abilities even when they're at their best, and useful every other time.

Not even C4 nor AT mines can stop the Vanguard shield. If he spots you placing C4 on his Vanguard he can pop the shield and become immune to its damage, any other vehicle is screwed if infantry has a chance to place C4 on it.

My suggestion is to change the way the Vanguard shield works by making it much more vulnerable to the rear, and buffing the Vanguard itself so it does not have to rely on the shield as compensation.
  2. biterwylie

I e
    I expect it will get an activation delay in the upcoming balance pass.
  3. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Well the thing w/ the vanguard shield is that it is the Vanguard's only decent feature.

The Vangaurd is slow, and the main gun's recoil is crazy.
    The Shield is annoying, but I Ap shell to the rear and it is gone.
    But remember the shield only allows the vanguard to disengage, the vanguard alot of the times is too slow to escape and the shield goes down and vanguard is dead.

I main VS but have a NC alt, and when a Magrider magburns, it is just as annoying as when a Vanguard Shields.
  4. VeryCoolMiller

Vanguard isn't slow. With racer it is fast as a magrider and only 5 km/h slower than a prowler.

Vanguard Shield is "I win button" vs tanks, even if you jump a vanguard from behind with ap rounds.

Make the shiled protect only front and sides, so we can kill a running burning vanguard or at least have a counter.
    • Up x 1
  5. XXBLACKATTACKXX

the Vanguard is slow as in it has a ridiculously slow reverse speed, Turn Speed, Acceleration. and dont even get started with hills.
    If you jump a Vangurad w/ Ap rounds, they use the shield, 1 Ap round is needed to break that shield. Vanguard shield is an I win button up close but any other place it is not.

The Shield is annoying, but with flanking, and teamwork, the vanguard stands no chance.
  6. Shockwave44

What, you forgot about the stronger armor, fastest projectile and most damaging tank shell? Slipped your mind?

Every tank has that problem so nice try.

Wrong.

That's why it needs to change.

Wrong. Even you just said it's the I-Win shield. Make up your mind.
    • Up x 4
  7. Halkesh

Vanguard shield should be used for assault, not to run away nor as a "I-WIN button".
    Make this shield a frontal shield only.
    Concept :
    • Strongly increase the frontal armor value when active (double/triple his effective HP while active)
    • Work only from front damage; shield don't work on side/top/rear nor splash damage (like AV mines or C4)

What do you think ?
    • Up x 2
  8. Killerdude8

Except the Shield doesn't have Weakpoints.
    It's an outright 3k HP bonus with no Counters or Weakpoints.
    It IS an "I win" Button in the truest sense of the term.
  9. Slandebande

It does require more than 1 AP round to down the Shield, even from the rear. Feel free to test yourself, or do the math, as both work.

It does suffer from directional damage modifiers if that is what you are implying, e.g. it does take extra damage from the rear while the Shield is up, and the Shield is brought down quicker from the rear compared to the sides/front. However, what the guy you quoted claimed is wrong, the Shield requires more than 1 single AP round to the rear before it fails.
  10. Tommyp2006

If we nerf the shield, and I think that it should get nerfed, then the rest of the tank should be buffed to compensate.
    • Up x 2
  11. Jake the Dog

I dont know bout yall but have u tried aiming the gun while driving over rough terrain? no thats because vanu doesnt have that problem.
  12. Jake the Dog

tr also have the same issue so im not attacking u.
  13. Jake the Dog

on top of that vs tanks can get places no other tank can ie: quartz ridge hills vanguards (none ive seen at least) cant get on those hills. im also not talking about the back way around quartz. I mean on top of the hill
  14. Jake the Dog

and yes im going to defend the vanguard. u have a strafe tank... tr has an awesomely fun howitzer of doom as well and guess what thw more prowlers there are the less chance ur vanguards shields are going to matter howling pass cimes to mind where tr prowlers shell vgs to oblivion. The saron is ur answer due to that weapon outclassing the other secondary weapons a metric brick **** ton. haterz gonna hate. let the hate begin.
  15. GardenOfSilver

I'm kinda inclined to agree with the idea of 'nerf shield', but also 'buff the Vanguard'. Of all the three faction MBT's it does have the last distrinct advantages to bring to the field of battle once one disscounts the faction abilities - the Magrider do got some incredible mobility once you know how to drive it (love just driving around the shields and into the base in Quartz Ridge) and the Prowler got it's twin cannons making it more forgiving with landing shots as you can use the first as a guide for the second or just flat out massive damage if you can reliably land both.

I can't seriously say what improvements the Vanguard would/could have though other than improved survivability is the wrong way to go for the very same reason that ZOE was horrible - the thing just doesn't seem to die. At all. And no-one have fun fighting that.
  16. GardenOfSilver

The 'howitzer of doom' seems anything but fun. While I usualy tank, I'm typicaly in a AP Lightning - I have no interest in using mobility and the fun-factor that it brings nor would I get any general benefits from it's secondary due to the general lack of TR MBT gunners. As for the empire specific AV weapon for the Vanguard I'd contest the point that it is oucltassed by the Saron - it is a monster when used, which seems more often these days. The reason the Saron would appear better is that the Magrider practicaly requires a secondary to match the other thanks in effectiveness as far as damage projection and capability is concerned.
  17. WTSherman

Actually it has the same resist values as the tank. So however fast you can kill the tank on a given facing, you can drop the shield in 75% of that time.

Against the rear armor, it'll barely absorb one AP shot and one Halberd shot. If it's a prowler AP, one volley and one Halberd will actually drop the shield. Against the front or side, a 2/2 AV tank can generally expect to drop the shield in 5-6 seconds if it keeps firing, which is only long enough for the Vanguard to fire once. If one extra shot is an "I win button", your advantage probably isn't as large as you think it is.
    • Up x 1
  18. FaLI3N

dude just edit your original post..

Who cares if the magrider can get into a few positions (and I do mean few) that the others can't get into? The magrider has a smoother ride but is worse in every stat compared to the Vanguard besides reload speed and doesn't have an amazing engagement deciding combat-based ability. You can compensate for recoil and a bumpy ride but you can't make a main gun's round travel faster and do more damage with practice.
  19. Jake the Dog

I say what I say due to rhe vanguard cant escape its enemy due to the other 2 having a speed advantage the vanguard has only 1 option amd that is to stay and fight. or it could try to roll off the nearest cliff to escape thats always fun.
  20. Jake the Dog

lol y r u complaining about my tank. fix yours prowlers dont have problems killing them so then naturally I would assume ur tank is the one that needs to be fixed. also have u fought the vanu b4? I have on both nc and tr. and its not pleasant. and yes my previous posts are hastily written im in college and my prof is expecting me to pay attention to a presentation about the spring equinox. so my train of thought gets disrupted alot lol