[Suggestion] Re-do mana turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaJinn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. NinjaJinn

Okay guys pls dont throw **** piles at me, I just think that engi turrets suck atm.
    Here's why:
    Lets have a look at pros and cons:

PROS:
    Very accurate
    High rate of fire
    Provides good suppressing fire too
    Good to hide behind for other classes

CONS:
    Literally screams : "HEADSHOT ME FROM 9000 km away I DARE YOU"
    => therefore,
    Extremely Low survivability of the operator (the engi)

In my opinion, CONS are not even compensating for PROs as you get constantly rekt by even the most skilless infils, all it takes is to point and click to kill you.
    Now my view is that engi mana turret shield should cover entire body, (not 360) while having a certain health pool, just like the AV turret for it to not be OP.

That could be the second unlockable turret too, perhaps someone else could add some other features to that, it'd create another little cert pool of 1k with upgrades on heating of about 5k certs...?

Infiltrators would still be able to shoot the engi in some cases from sides, or it'd overheat much faster when an EMP is thrown at it, to allow them somehow not get instagibbed by those things...

As for it's HP I think something like two shots from deci would be enough. How do you think?
    I am almost sure it's a viable idea and suggesting it mainly because 99% of the time even when in rooms, I'm (and not only me) dying from headshots (infil one-shots, long-range snipers in open fields and TSAR and Vandal-kind-of infils in CQC and rooms, structures).

It's been so annoying that I stopped using the thing and decided to go for the automatic turret arx instead to finish the engi directive, and you sure know how much more kills mana turret can do vs the automatic one.

Anyways this is my first suggestion to PS2, pls go easy on me if this is OP for whatever reason...
    Thx for your time.
    • Up x 2
  2. Liewec123

the current AI turret is indeed situational, but in those situations it is AMAZING.
    i much prefer having an invincible shield infront and a tiiiiny vulnerable spot, instead of something with a health pool,
    use it indoor, safe from snipers, you can hold down doorways like a boss!
    people will fire rockets at you and take shots at you and the shield will just eat em all up!

if it had a health pool, then the first few rockets would destroy it completely.
    i'd much rather be safe from 95% of infantry in the game than have an easily destroyed turret just to be safe from headshots from the 360noscopeMLG cqc snipers.
    • Up x 1
  3. customer548

- FPS rule number 1 : Never be at a standstill.

- FPS rule number 2 : Never complain if you got killed while you were not following rule number 1.
    • Up x 1
  4. NinjaJinn

as I suggested, this could be the second variant of the AI turret.
    Also, one could easily crouch-walk to the side of the door, uncloak and still get you respawning...
    That is if you don't fire constantly in the doorway, still can get you killed if you do too...
  5. NinjaJinn

Oh dear sir, you cannot move the turret, especially when firing and noticing another sneaky lil cloaker decloak about to kill you...
    :D
  6. customer548

You can "exit" the turret and defend yourself.
    Your teammates around are supposed to take care of you.

Turrets are a pain in corridors, very good at blocking doors with a high firepower. Especially when there are 2 or 3 of them right next to the others.

But I would give you a tip : deploy your turret on a "high" location, and constantly rotate your turret shield, in order to use its shield as a protection for your head. Or just constantly exit/enter your turret and crouch behind it.
    Headshotting you will be way more difficult.

Turrets already have been buffed : EMP nades do not neutralize them anymore.(Not totally sure about it, that's what I noticed in game)

Imagine buffed Turrets with better HS protection + Maxes + random Infantry in a same spot, blocking a corridor or a door... It would give 0% chance to your opponents.

Just my own opinion.
  7. Halkesh

You can counter sniper with the engineer implant. At rank 4 it give you 25% resistance, so if you equip auxiliary shield it allow you to survive to 650dmg BASR. 700dmg BASR will still OHK you with 35-50m.
    Maths : 1050:0,75 = 1400.
    BASR have a x2,1 headshot multiplier.
  8. NinjaJinn

relying on others to cover my back always got me killed in planetside...

you dont always have a high point

shooting while rotating wont get you anywhere...
  9. NinjaJinn

well that is interesting, although for two months I havent been able to get that robotics implant, if you mean that one.
    Meanwhile have you tested it? Are you sure the 25% resistance also covers body parts or only the turret gun that is in the middle?
  10. DarkCause

Only time I can manage to use the turret is in a ambush/flank situation where I have to set up mines on a road and position on high behind a rock or tree out of view to hit their back side with 1 or 2 hits. So unless designed for more direct attack it isn't something i use often.
  11. chamks

or head shots?
  12. NinjaJinn

the topic is about anti-infantry shielded mana turrets , I think you mean the anti-vehicle one, although I used it just as an example to show that they are not invulnerable and can take certain damage till it dies.
  13. NinjaJinn

well I'm sure a head is also a body part :D
  14. DarkCause

This would be good reason I stay off forums lol. I tend to mis-read XD
  15. NinjaJinn

happens, mate! your way of using AV turrets is practical!
  16. Halkesh

I've tested it with robotic tech 4 and survived several time to a single BASR headshot (frontal) with 150 or less HP.
    I can't confirm you if it also work for side and rear damage but I see no reason why it shouldn't.
    Note that the auxiliary shield is important since it will often mean the difference between life and death. (it buff your effective health from 1333 to 1400).