Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. iller

Total misunderstanding on your part, and definitely not one that called for major Personal Attacks (Mods? wanna keep this thread a little friendlier plz?). The issue you're missing with AO is that it is a huge factor in that 'Floating point Coordinate' problem you rightfully pointed out which is that coordinates & even velocities are also required for all Light generating entities as well. The GPU is supposed to be doing the more expensive rendering, but millions of additional instructions also have to bottleneck through CPU first whether they're being rendered or not. This is why it's the-worst during fire fights.... lots and lots and lots of extra Ambience from temporary entities & abilities.
  2. Sirez

There isn't a difference in my FPS when I have AO on and when I have it off in large fights. There is a performance hit in general between having AO on and having it off, but large fights do not effect it detrimentally. It depends on the method of AO being used (SSAO, HBAO, etc.) in such calculations. While it is accurate that these processes have to go through the CPU first, most of the heavy lifting would occur through the GPU. It is why most people are being told to turn things off/down if they have a more powerful CPU, and vice versa if they have a more powerful GPU. So performance being "worse" would lie solely on which piece of hardware is being utilized more or less, no?
  3. iller

That's only a switch for your GPU. It doesn't stop the entity variables from having to go through your CPU first.
    Again, the solution would be to prevent all of that info from even being sent to the client in the first place if a robust serverside visability check proved it was unneeded.

My question for the Devs isn't "When are you going to get this done" or "when's the next patch".... but rather: Are you actively considering ANY gameplay/occlusion changes at all???---> to address the fact that more than 64 players in any Radial Proximity to eachother spamming out hundreds of additional temp entities just has an exponential Processing cost that your listed 'Minimum Spec' CPUs can't even attempt to keep up with
  4. TheEvilBlight

I wonder if going to hitscan would reduce the overhead...
  5. SQLOwns

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll give it a shot and do some testing.
  6. iller

Depends on how much Interpolation there is on all projectiles. I've noticed that Sniper bullets actually do leave an Arcing Tracer ... but I would speculate that the biggest real-time load there is still on the Server, not the client.
  7. TheEvilBlight

SOE needs to buy a machine that would rate on the LINPACK 500. We'll have great gaming then...
  8. col1kill

my frames suck no mater that i do i even unparked my cores.
    CPU: amd phenom II X4 955
    GPU: ATI Radeon 6670 1gig
    8 gig ram
  9. Superimperial

WOW! I just logged into ps2 today and everything was working much better! I don`t know why but keep up the good work sony!;)
  10. Xaturas

Since live release game is unplayable. Its not worth playing yet to mean paying for anything.
    5-10 at mega armor fests, 10-25 fps at all big fights and 20-30 fps at any fights is ********.
  11. blujay42

Latest update was a marked improvement on the E6850 box! now my friend is willing to tolerate it and play with me!
  12. blujay42

Can we keep flagrant misinformation out of the thread? Mods? Making stuff up is fun. it doesn't help people learn.

This is false. This person doesn't actually know anything about this game or graphics in games at all. Float is a data type, double is a data type. Literally all that means is how the computer is storing a number and to what integer/decimal size/accuracy it can store that number. All I was saying is that the X/Y/Z coordinate data of that many players being processed at one time is fairly unprecedented for a shooter like this, except for the original Planetside more or less. We all know how well the original handled player movement. AO rending is all done on the GPU. Just the fact that you're calling it "Ambience" belies you're nobody in the know. If AO had anything to do with the problem, turning AO off with reduce the CPU load and my game would run better. I does not. In fact, there is little discernible difference between high and low on my E6850/GTX460 computer, even when you use the UserOptions to completely disable shadows outright.

For users with great CPU's (i5 2500K, etc) but no graphics card, tailoring these setting back will help a lot. For users limited by their CPU, they will make almost no difference as the graphics card is having a faster turnaround than the CPU can keep up with anyway.

Furthermore, I highly doubt every single shot is an X/Y/Z coordinate for every single bullet's arc. All you actually need is an initial hit-scan and then you can do some math to make an arc, and add a variable to tell the game it's velocity on that arc. If you honestly think every bullet is being tracked you're bonkers and you have no idea what you're talking about. That would be practically impossible.
  13. Scuzzle

To be honest i know my computer is rather dated, but not all of us have the option to just dump hundreds of dollars on a i7. With my setup i have been able to run games on rather high settings for the past couple years, never once have i had a game that had frame rate issues. With PlanetSide 2 i was getting horrendous 10-15 FPS on low graphics settings. So i saved some money for Black Friday and got myself a 7850 2GB and a new CPU cooler.

With the new video card i get exactly the same FPS on high and low graphics settings. So i am in this situation knowing my quad core processor is holding me back. Never thought i would be saying that. Here is my setup, i still get 10-15 FPS in battles even after the upgrades i was able to make.

7850 2GB
    955 BE with NZXT Respire T20
    8GB 1600 ram
    23 inch monitor

I play BF3 on ultra (with a few high settings mixed in) and get 60-80 FPS, even when a lot is going on it never dips. Then i play PlanetSide 2 on low graphics settings and i get FPS as low as 10 in battles... It just doesn't feel right.
  14. blujay42

That is fishy. Are you using integrated networking on your motherboard or a dedicated NIC? Your processor is faster than mine and I am doing better than 15's for sure, with this latest patch it's stayed above 20 so far which is surprising.
  15. Dewar

I have a particularly bad CPU (Core 2 Quad 2.6ghz) and a good video card (AMD HD7800 series.) I notice that I'm almost always bottle-necked at CPU (which makes sense.) Fiddling around with multiple graphics settings, the things that noticeably affected my frame rate were shadows and flora. I also noticed that lowering the graphics quality from high to low gave me an extra 10 FPS when looking at visual effects (in this case, the spawn booth fields or the warp gate shield.)

So what I personally did to get the best frame rate was to set the overall to low, then turned Texture, Lighting, Terrain, and Model to high. (I'm not sure if having the effects and particles low makes that much of a difference, but I didn't want to keep podding to a battle with lots of explosions to try and test.

May this help folks who are in the same low CPU, high GFX situation.
  16. Beltway

[IMG]
  17. iller

We're just going to have to agree to disagree since you can't seem to be civil about this.

But you should definitely read Cycle's post more closely which tells you directly: Lighting ents greatly impacts CPU load. (Dewar also confirmed it after your post).
  18. SQLOwns

Played last night, noticed a slight improvement. Was there a ninja patch? Anyway, nice work. Keep it up.
    • Up x 1
  19. TheEvilBlight

Was a tiny 20-40MB patch, if memory serves. No release notes. For lul.
  20. A3quitas

I have faith. How about render distance?