Problems with PlanetSide 2 as I see them.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumless

Agree with everything in the OP.
  2. Doomrabbit

"As for the Liberator and its Zephyr cannon, it is really its own unique problem. Unlike the main
    battle tanks of Planetside 2, they do promote team play which is excellent. Unfortunately, there
    is not enough really good ground-based anti-air to effectively combat them. Without massed
    ground based anti-aircraft fire, such as the kind an entire company can deploy, one liberator can
    farm infantry all day. One liberator can get a good chunk of kills, go off to repair any damage
    incurred by ground-based AA, and then return to do it all again."

Good God yes. I can't count the number of times I've been blown to bits by a Lib while trying to capture - oftentimes by a Lib I couldn't even see, sometimes before I could even get out of the building. The Libs just hang way up, dropping shells all over the landscape. I was considering buying the lock-on AA inf missile to at least touch the damned things until I read the missiles are so weak it's not worth the SC (Libs take a few shots, laugh, fly away, repair and come back). Infantry should have some meaningful way of defending themselves against this.
  3. drNovikov

Does infantry have anything against C-130 gunship flying above lock-on radius? :)
  4. Daddes

I hove not read the whole thread, but the idea to honor more medic aid, repaired items and other teamplay helpful actions would be great!
  5. Doomrabbit

Have not read the whole thread either, but thought last night that somehow rewarding people who follow orders given by commanders would be great as well (I've seen this in other threads too).
  6. D0n

We did it John, we effing did it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Fox234

I like this post. It is totally not confusing and vague. lol
  8. Eacaraxe

As a brand-new player to PS2 but an MMO and FPS veteran, I thought I'd throw some cents in for kicks.

First, I absolutely agree KDR needs to go. It's been the bane of FPS games, competitive or not, since CoD4 made it a thing (I'm aware it was there in earlier games, but CoD4 made it a popular metric of player performance). It provides no palpable benefit other than encouraging players to play in the cheesiest, selfish ways possible in order to inflate their ratings.

As someone who plays almost exclusively medic and engineer, I'd like to voice some major frustrations I have as someone who quit playing medic for the associated frustrations, and would happily play nothing but medic if these frustrations were resolved. First, the horrid experience gain for healing: yes, I understand healing as something that can be done constantly and with little comparative risk to the player shouldn't be extravagantly rewarded; however, when I can gain more experience from random grenade throws or spraying and praying -- even as a medic -- than I can providing the primary benefit of my class, I have to wonder what the point is. Especially when the PBAoE heal doesn't provide experience, which disincentivizes using it in favor of the single-target heal.

And, ressing. Dear god, ressing. I actually quit doing it when I realized the end result was facilitating the other team's farming. And worse, by having a low-level revive tool my teammates were respawning with low health, making them easier to kill...which meant I get to revive them multiple times, and get even more experience out of it! Forget the poor bastard who's being corpse camped by at least two people, one of which on his own team. All while I'm somehow still a high-priority target for the other team, who counter-intuitively aim for me instead of the people they could be killing as they're revived which means both of us could be getting a lot of experience, faster.

Counting in the fact my experience gain for healing is per tick, why would I ever want to upgrade my healing tool? Or use the PBAoE heal? I'm only hurting myself in the long run. Or really, why would I want to heal for a pittance of experience when I could watch my teammates die, revive them, and get more experience?

EDIT: And, one niggling issue. I'm sick and tired of seeing 1/12 sunderers driving off into the sunset and leaving dozens of infantry behind, in that rush to deploy ASAP and continue the zerg...especially when, since they potentially lack support, end up turning the sunderer into a spawn/farm trap while the brunt of the force is stuck running to get into position or spawning flashes. It'd be nice, especially as an engineer, to be able to ride desant on tanks if for no other reason than to facilitate moving between hot spots.
    • Up x 1
  9. Arcanum

AoE heal does give XP, it's just that the rewards are kinda wonky. Something to do with you getting XP every tick you spend healing rather than for the actual numbers you healed. I still regularly get rewards for AoE heal(but usually 1 or 2 ticks per person, people don't get splashed near me too often, maybe that's affecting it), but it's pretty high level on my character and I use it constantly.

I like the extended range and AoE improvements, but yeah I probably lost more XP than I gained by certing.
  10. Eacaraxe

If I've actually gotten XP from the AE heal, I haven't noticed it then. Though, with that said I'll defer since I am still quite new at the game. All the same, yeah, even in the few certs I've gained for medic thus far the experience loss above and beyond the pittance you get for actually supporting your team has been notable. It's completely counter-intuitive and contrary to the idea of team support.
  11. PharmD

I agree with Buzz, even though he trolls command chat.
  12. mlane16

At first I was against this, but honestly I agree with the ghost capping if they bring back defense certs.

As for weapons, I think you should look into that more. I am tired of people complaining about air especially when air is now almost as weaking as it was in the beginning of the game. The way I see it if your going to take away stuff like from the zepher you need to then also given something back to the zepher and the shredder. For example if you decrease the damage then increase the accuracy especially rendering or the thermal scopes range. Or of you decrease fire power of the zepher against vechiles you increase it against air ( flak damage) or infintry.

This way you are not alienating dedicated liberator pilots like TWF.

However, I have yet to see any fair proposal including yours about weapons.
  13. Rager

I agree with his points.

also he is funny, with the rage.
  14. LordMondando

When did a poorly thought out rant, a bunch of backslapping from zergfit shrills and people going "derp, herp, DARP /signed" constitute a important critique of PS2's game mechanics?

Hell there's barely any dicussion in 40 pages, what there is, is quickly shouted down by Zergfit shrills "HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH HIS HOLINESS URBAN VIII!"

The damn post, doesn't even mention preformance, the biggest issue. And when people (myself included) try to point this out, we are called idiots, and its left at that.

Gave development has sailed past this silly thread, which acheived little more than being a farce of a 'learned dicussion' and did nothing more than illustrate the shoddy state of games journalism, indeed its only real function appears to be have been e-ego buffing.

So why has it been failed sailed past?

Most of the actual legitimate issues were raised weeks before this thread and apparently acted upon (e.g. base design in LU02 other issues to do with vehicle balance in hotfixes since, which have all clearly been being worked on for weeks now). The rest have been rightly ignored as they aim to boil ps2 down to a twitch shooter but 'largererrerer' in a Mary Sue fashion by the OP. Hell you might as well have called the thread 'MOVE DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME IN X DIRECTION, ELSE I AND ALL THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE U-12 5-a-SIDE LEAGUE GO ON STRIKE!!11!"

So yeah, lock the thread, fill it with irrelevant cat pictures it'll be as important to the development of PS2 as it ever was.
  15. Wintermaulz

With the amount off explosions in this game, I feel like I'm playing Tribes all over again. Which would be ok for me, but we can't ski in this game, so it's a bit rediculous.
  16. mlane16

I bring up the point again that I think the OP is wrong about weapons being nerfed outright. You have to strike balance because people have invested SC and certs into those weapons. Balancing is simple retooling the weapon so its more focus towards it orginal purpose, like the skyguard to air.
  17. Deladin

Why is buzzcut complaining about KDR? Last I checked ALL HE CARED ABOUT was his KDR, as its all all he ever does in /yell is brag about his KDR and his rank.

And teamplay? TE does not know a lick about teamplay. Their idea of teamplay involves slamming their head over and over and over again without zero tactics, winning only because of their 4 vs 1 numbers. If their zerg gets stopped, they will abandon a continent. When a smaller outfit, that is actually using skill and tactics to stop their mindless zerg, manages to stop their zerg rush, buzzbut will flip the **** out and call everyone pathetic and trash, rather then actually try and lead the team and develop sound tactics and teamplay. He never seems to consider that the enemy is actually PLAYING BETTER then his cult of buzzcutsphyco worshiper's, playigng as a tightnit, small team.

Buzzcut has gone and even called an outfit with 5 members trash and junk, because they only had 5 players, yet those 5 players were probably worth 20 TE players.

His method of teamplay should have no place in PS2, and it is SOE's fault that the large mindless zergs are so much more effective at farming certs(the sole focus of the game sadly, as territory and general fun of defending a base are obsolete).
  18. Rumless

tl;dr - jimmies rustled
  19. SOE-MOD-19

Thread locked as I see it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.