Post GU03 Performance noticably worse in major bases.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LordMondando, Feb 21, 2013.

1. LordMondando

Can't seem to get the install for it to work (its hung 3 times now).

can't rule out my GPU entirely, but given the graphics settings have no effect whatso ever on the fps under load, that situations appear not to involve graphical rendering in and of itself and given the massive increase in CPU utilisation.

I think issues that way can at least be put into the 'less likely' box.

The main contender in the 'quite likely' box, I think at this stage, is some sort of 'optimization' that have introduced in GU03 that is trying to predict and pre-cache the location of players based on that characters position movement and perspective, that is vastly more mutlithread, but is causing significant drops in FPS under load due to threads having to wait on each other.

Just a hypothesis, needs a lot more testing (again can I encourage people with these issues to repeat the tests i've done to see if the results are repeatable). But its looking like a likely contender.
  2. Fotis

MSI Afterburner also has a basic graph system for GPU temperature,usage and FPS; in case you want to rule out GPU entirely..
  3. LordMondando

I've been using EVGA precision (near identical program). Also (which has caused a bit of confusion with the tech support team through my msinfo) playing around with GPU and GFX Memory overclocks to see if that changes anything (it likes to crash the game beynod 1.245mhz and 2600 mhz memory clock, i know that much).

Far as I can tell, from data retrieved from this (temps, clock speed (it dynamically downclocks when not being used). Its working pretty much identically to how it was working GU02 when I had the game stably working at 28fps-minimum even with the render distance/logic tests on Indar.

As i've said, I can't rule anything out definitively, but its looking like the problem is not at least primarily coming from my GPU.

Indeed, i've been playing around with overclocks of my GPU and CPU to see if I can improve performance, as much as 470 Mhz on the CPU and a significantly faster memory clock on the GPU, appear to do nothing. Again salient to my eyes.

Again, my ability to look under the hood is next to nill, but given the changes in player tracking logic that appear to be in the patch and the massively changed profile of use of my 8 core processor. Its hard to conclude there is not something salient going on there. My guess is threads that are being utilised on other cores to track player positioning are causing the system as a whole to lag as the primary thread is having to wait on data from other threads.

As i've said, if other people with these problems, could just make the effort to alt-tab out of the game, load up windows resource monitor (accessible from task manager) and see if similar things are happening. Obviously with 4 cores, the profile would not be the same, but what to look out for is significantly increased use of cores 2-3 or 2-6 and processes on these cores running at about the same utilization.

I will continue to collect data later.
  4. BenYeeHua

You can collect it.
    Using WPT(Windows Performance Tools), it has a tool call GPUView.
    This is what I get before.
    http://puu.sh/21aSI
  5. TomoB

I had to lower graphics quality high -> medium to get somewhat as "smooth" fps as before GU03.
  6. LordMondando

As far as I can tell under load situations (I was experimenting at ti alloys yesterday) all high gets exactly the same performance as all medium. 16-20fps.

Again, at least in my case (I can't speak for everyone, and this could be a plethora of issues resulting from slightly different bugs) my graphics and my graphics card appear utterly unrelated to the issues at hand.
  7. BenYeeHua

Yes, me too.
    Just my graphic card can't hold on, and I hate too much bloom.
  8. LordMondando

Low was a typo there, I meant medium.
  9. LordMondando

Ok just got the windows SDK to work finally, so i'll have more data soon on my GPU usage hopefully.

Don't expect it to be that illuminating though.

Edit- download of SDK failed for the 6th time, not going to be able to use WPT by the look of it.
  10. BenYeeHua

lol
    You can try to set proxy for IE, remember to return it normal after you has download finish.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...tall-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt.aspx
  11. LordMondando

Nope, not working. For whatever reason.

Have a clear trend in the data allready though.

Again, I ask people who are having this problem in large battles , to alt-tab out of the game and check windows resource manager.
  12. LordMondando

Seems to be a slight improvement with GU04. Hard to stresstest at this time in the morning mind you.

Anyone else seeing this?

The 30-20 fps framerate drop when looking at the direction people are fighting in, even if you in the middle of the massive fight and meters away is still there by the looks of things though.

I just had it occur in a 'mediumish' fight at ti alloys at well.
  13. StrikerSix

The fps since GU3 have been unplayable in big battles for me. I am slowly becoming a computer expert trying to speed things up though.. In medium to large battles If i stealth, gun zoom, or basicly look tward the action I drop 10-15 fps. its really annoying and I usually just stop playing for a while.

Look how small a distance changes the fps here. the quality makes it harder to notice htough

Please please please make the game playable in big battles for people with a few year old machines devs =)
  14. Hyperzone

Make larger sweeping movements not so minor and it will be even more noticeable.

But it's noticeable enough man. This game has problems. They can blame it on the drivers or this and that but the bottom line is, people are having issues that they're simply not having with other games.

This isn't news anyway right? Point is, they obviously dropped the ball (yet again) which means, assuming they're not completely incompetent, they can pick the ball back up and bring the game on. Just don't ask the forbidden question. ("when"). :)

Good news right? :)
  15. LordMondando

Its not even a 'few year old machines'. I have a FX8350 and a GTX650, performance never dropped below 28fps with shadows in pre GU02.

It is, better with this new patch, the problem is certaintly not gone though.

Large fights at 20fps, are just a bit much.
  16. LordMondando

More strange core usage.
    [IMG]
    The orange line is ps2.exe's specific usage (it can only say as a whole though not per core, which is a shame)

Again, the issue appears to be. Game is vastly more multithreaded than it was previously. BUT- its corresponding to worse performance.
  17. LordMondando

Ok, just in a middle of a large fight at apex genetics, performance is definetely what i'd describe as 'sub par' when I look towards the 'front'.

Look at the CPU / core usage.
    [IMG]
    Something is going wrong there, all 8 cores being utilized heavily and 20fps?

Shadow off, flora off, 100 render, 1200x1000 100% render 1000m view distance.
  18. LordMondando

Just another observation. Performance appears (need to do more tests) worse when looking at enemy and friendly troops of a smaller number, than looking at a massive friendly zerg.

Again, don't have to be rendering, can be looking at the direction this is in, inside staring at a wall.
  19. pomps

Has any official statement been made on this thread?

The game is getting progressively s**tter performance wise and no word is being said?

Ive got an i7, 12 gig of ram and a 670 and its running worse and worse, and like you say, only got to stare at a big 'base' and it drops my fps majorly!
  20. LordMondando

Have you tried looking at the per core usage during these crappy FPS moments?

I'm starting to see a correlation between core-usage (on my heptcore) being 1core 70% the rest 30-10 and ok performance, and all on 50% or 60% or terrible performance.

Will put something up once I catch it in the act.

But please guys, I've been spamming tech support with this thread and supposedly its being passed onto the dev team. There going to need more data to diagnose this.

So

1) try and be specific, what in the situations is causing this.
    2) if possible, if there is indeed a link between increasing multithreading and bad performance, try and get some screens of windows resource manger's per core use in 'load' situation.