[Poll]After the hitbox....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Haquim, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Haquim

I don't want to tear on fresh wounds, but I'm honestly curious.

After the hitbox cheat was exposed and got fixed, do you notice any changes, especially those of you who use recursion or something similar?

Personally after counting a couple sessions I have noticed that I died to headshots about 30% on average, sometimes as much as 40.
    Now its only 10-20%!

My datasample is too small to draw a general conclusion though, so I'm asking around.
    • Up x 3
  2. Demigan

What do you mean, "fresh wounds"? The only fresh wounds that I could see are the one's from the players abusing this bug, and by all means I want you to tear their fresh wounds over and over again, throw their inadequacy in their faces with stats that have been crushed.
    • Up x 2
  3. Haquim

Well, a lot of people might not like to be reminded that the game they spend a lot of time with has fatal flaw(s).

Ignorance is bliss and all that..

If a cheater cheats in PS2 and there is nobody to prove it - has there really been a cheater?
    • Up x 1
  4. Mezinov

Observation does not a fact make.
    • Up x 4
  5. DarkStarII

I haven't really noticed any difference.
  6. Moridin6

averages wise my latest play has been a little better but its always gone up and down so ..
  7. user101

Yes -- I have... a lot less in head shots that hit me that are just out of the question to pull off from some fantastic range.

And a lot less around the building shots that hit me.
    • Up x 2
  8. Shiaari

The cheat was extremely wide spread and I suspect a lot of accounts got banned.

I see an abnormally high number of fresh scrubs these days. I'd like to think it's formerly cheating players suddenly finding themselves in dire need of genuine skill.
  9. Campagne

I haven't played in a long time, months since yesterday, and I haven't really been paying much attention to the forums or anything in that time either.

So could someone please explain this to me? I know it sounds rather self-explanatory, but I'm curious about the details. :confused:
  10. Gundem

An exploit was publicized that allowed players to expand the hitboxes of people significantly(Including the head), which had apparently been around for years but SOE had deemed it too insignificant to fix.
    • Up x 1
  11. FateJH

The game uses client-side hit detection; ergo, the hitboxes are client-side; ergo, you should be able to modify the size of the other peoples' hitboxes on your own client and the server won't bat an eye. Oh, hello there, plain text XML file with hitbox scaling information ...

Now people are looking to validate their own gameplay by fingering a bunch of theoretical cheaters who shouldn't be playing against them anymore.
    • Up x 3
  12. UberNoob1337101

My average session K/D went from 6-7 to 10, and out of my 1v1s, my win-lose ratio rose from ~65-70% to ~90%+.

Seems like the cheat was pretty darn widespread, and these days I almost never get headshotted.
    The files where the hitbox (including the headshot hitbox) were painfully easy to find and easily moddable so a lot of tryhards changed it to higher values to gain an unfair advantage. It was an exploit that was undetectable and SOE/DBG at that time deemed it insignificant. Thankfully, it got fixed and the scrubs who did it got banned.
    • Up x 3
  13. Campagne

Ah, I see. Thanks!
  14. Bindlestiff

I've seen no communications stating players have been banned?
  15. dahazeyninja

• Up x 1
  16. Haquim

AH yes.

I was waiting for the first ******* to throw random pseudoscientific words around he doesn't actually understand in hope of invalidating any opinions or observations that go against his own sacrosanct worldview.
    Did actually take longer than expected.

Confirmation bias would be present if we (sub)consciously omitted evidence that does not support our own predefined and expected results.
    The question "did your stats suddenly improve" which is basically a corollary of "did your enemies suddenly get worse" combined with the effort to aquire a wider datasample to either confirm or invalidate a hypothesis is pretty much the exact opposite.
    You know, since suspicious amounts of skill in individuals raising the average is the only evidence we can even see.

Now please get the **** out of here and troll somewhere else if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.
    • Up x 1
  17. FateJH

Well, excuse me for not throwing jargon.
    • Up x 1
  18. Haquim

Meh, what you said was fine, you're allowed to have an opinion even on the internet.
    But people using some scientific term to sound smart be all high-and-mighty really fire me up - especially when it's pretty clear they didn't understand what it means.
    That he did it by linking the wiki takes it up to eleven of course...
    • Up x 1
  19. orangejedi829

Same here! I've seen a lot of brand new characters (BR5 and under) recently who act like vets (in the way they move, position themselves, etc.) but absolutely get wrecked in one-on-one firefights. I hadn't thought too much of it until I read your comment... 0_o
    Confirmation bias? Perhaps. But then again, I made the observation about the newbs who were acting surprisingly experienced without connecting it, mentally, to the hitbox thing.
  20. TheFlamingLemon

Sorry to be the one to bring this up but, y'know

Apart from that, this thread is making me eager to get back online and see if the game feels any less ********-filled than before.