[Suggestion] Please upgrade the rande for grande lunchers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlizardX, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Ryme_Intrinseca

No, I'm drawing a parallel between (historical or hypothetical) OHK UBGLs and (current and actual) OHK RLs. If that doesn't seem relevant to you then I guess we're in a 'you can take a horse to water...' kind of situation.

PS - 46% of my playtime is as a heavy...
  2. Demigan

I don't completely understand the reaction. Just as a comparison: Imagine if the quick-knife was only useable when wielding. No more fire+quick-knife to finish someone off, you would have to fire, switch to quick-knife, watch as they escape/blow you apart while you are switching, then try to swipe at them. Terrible right? No way to use it properly right? Now imagine the opposite: You can swipe that knife without even having to stop firing. That's the power I'm offering. I'm offering more in fact, because the underbarrel shotgun can OHK rather than deal 500 damage than the knife, and it has a longer range too! Yes it's limited by ammunition and a reload time in between, but a good quick-knife is also used sparingly.

That's why it's important to nerf the statistics of mainly the underbarrel shotgun. Giving players a strong Carbine/AR and allowing them to OHK people in CQC without ever sacrificing any power or timeis a massive boost to underbarrel attachments. The underbarrel grenade is also a powerhouse if players could fire it without having to essentially put away their main weapon. The reason the current options are underperforming is the terrible switching times, the long reload time in between shots and the lack of finishers or defensive capabilities after firing one of these weapons. This idea removes those problems, and when you can combine an UBG with a few rounds of carbine to the face no one would question the power these things have. That's why the statistics need some nerfing to stop them from being OP. Even if the shotgun "only" dealt 750 damage on a full hit it would be a massively powerful weapon during any stage of the fight.
    I also forgot to mention, did anyone realize the power you have if you are basically armed and ready during a reload? Imagine firing at someone, going to reload and someone else enters, you can fire your underbarrel attachment at them even though you are reloading, even if this resets the reload this powerful feature shouldn't be dismissed.

Actually my idea would also work if you simply made the switching time instant, although I would prefer no switching required and just firing on-the-go. If people don't think it's powerful, fine keep them as strong as they are now. By the time they are patched and nerfed I'll have scored a few hundred extra kills than normally by (ab)using these attachment as-is.
  3. WTSherman

Hmm, looks like someone needs to do some science and update the wiki, because the wiki still has the pre-nerf damage stats (1000 direct and 500 indirect out to 5m, which obviously would one-hit kill on a direct hit, and the current UBGL obviously doesn't).

Or DBG could get off their lazy butts and keep their own info up to date, but I think we know which one is more likely. :p

I unfortunately don't have hard numbers right now, but it's looking like roughly 2 direct his to kill and 4 splashes to kill in its current state. At a rough guesstimate I'd bet it's 500 direct and 250 indirect (the total of 750 would still be a two-hit kill on direct hits). Splash radius still seems to be 5m, but I don't have enough data to determine if it still does full damage out to 5m or if they've added drop-off to its splash. Probably won't be able to tell much more without friendly-fire testing.
  4. Pikachu

When did they do a 2nd nerf that removed kill on hit? I have only ever heard of the first nerf that removed splash kill.
  5. WTSherman

Hmm, I think I might have derped on the testing. The effectiveness suddenly went up when the sun did, so I must have been hitting the target's feet instead of them. That's what I get for testing at night I guess. :D

That does answer one of my other questions though, since the difference between the 4-hits and 2-hits must be distance from the center, there must be some kind of falloff on the splash now (on the test server), but I haven't been able to determine just where it starts.
  6. Liewec123

its completely different, rockets are slow and obvious,
    the OP is asking for high velocity grenades, they're small, difficult to see and the user (engi) effectively has infinite ammo
    i'm imagining the projectiles would work kinda like the old Falcon's grenades.

sniping with old falcons was a breeze,
    by contrast if infantry gets hit by a heavies rocket at 150-200m they've not failed vanu, only themselves. ;)
  7. Azawarau

I use it for AI

Enter room and get shot at

Step back and go to UBGL

Fire at where the enemy is hiding then run in for the kill

Direct hit is ohko isnt it?
  8. Moz

Maybe a head shot, but if i remember correct the nerf (a good way back now) stopped the whole 1hk thingy. It was massively overused before that.

I think it now does 1k damage within 10m maybe 15m?
  9. Shiaari

Then you were using it wrong, or don't want to accept its limitations.
  10. BlizardX

OP didn't say anything about velocity. I asked for range. If speaking in terms of phisycs, it will help to reduce the drop rate, but it will be ok if you just reduce the drop rate directly.
  11. Who Garou

I agree that the Grenade Launcher is extremely close range for what it is.

If it had a range buff, it would turn into that Engineer mortar that everyone keeps asking for ... go figure ...

At any rate, it is fine for lobbing grenades into a crowded spawn room. I'm assuming that is the point of the thing anyway.
  12. Liewec123

well OP didn't say much at all, just linked a RL video and implied you wanted UBGLs in PS2 to work like that,
    so i took that as you asking for velocity. :p

in any case, with practice you can still be very effective with UBGL at range, the arc isn't too hard to master,
    (ignore the crosshair its useless XD)
    i pretty much auraxiumed the gauss compact S soley from UBGL kills with a few normal kills thrown in, i'd guess maybe 20.

one suggestion i would have for buffing the UBGL would be to remove the timer on it,
    after a few seconds the grenade simply vanishes, if you've put in the practice to hit distant targets with it then you should be rewarded with the ability to do so!