[Suggestion] Please Make Night Darker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheInterim, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Punishment

Yes, for the love of god please!

• Up x 1
  2. Javelin

3. Oheck

As much as I love a true night look..you have to think about how people would actually play during a true night scenario. The majority of players will spend those dark nights looking through some night vision aid whether from their vehicle or through the nv scope. No one is going to run around at a disadvantage during the night while other players have easy access to nv/ir.

Was the suedo night a compromise because some folks didn't like the idea of having to stare at a harsh green backdrop and white silhouettes the second the sun sets and combat commences?

I remember how much I enjoyed the night battles in Arma 2. The lighting during combat was great. Using a flare made for some great atmosphere. But...you had to turn off your night vision to enjoy it.

I think the enjoyment would be short lived, once you are getting pegged off by enemy geared up to spot you in the dark while you think you are being stealthy while enjoying the light show.

I would love to see it happen if night vision wasn't part of the package, and instead you had access to flares, spot lights(on towers or equip-able on certain vehicles, aircraft), headlights that truly illuminated ahead of you, etc.

Curious, does anyone have any footage of night battles from beta?
  4. Javelin

You could make night vision standard and toggleable in first person, yet at the same time, very vulnerable to bright lights (ie a spotlight or flashlight in your face could blind you). It would create an interesting interplay between night vision and regular. It would also give thermal vision a reason to exist... Then we could put certs into reducing thermal signatures!
    • Up x 1
  5. Trysaeder

Signed. I haven't played in a long time, but it sounds like SOE have nerfed night by making it brighter. Night was decent in the Beta and early release, but more could be done about it (decrease spotting distance, increase flashlight effectiveness). Very few games have a real day and night cycle that affects gameplay and tactics, and planetside2 is a great game to include it in. One of the most breathtaking things about planetside in the beta was the nighttime, and I'm sad to hear it go.
    • Up x 3
  6. Javelin

Oh god the lovely tracers in the darkness.
    • Up x 1
  7. Terrarion

yes please. better for all faction instead of mainly vs (and some tr camo). this way everyone looked dark at a glance. im practically forced to purchase amerish scrub for nc infantry just so i can get near the advantage vs have at night. (and they didnt have to spend sc!)
  8. Nogrim313

they already have a pretty good way of handling blacking out if you look at the range on the night vision /thermal the drop off would be perfect if it were say 1/4 of that range to near black inside and say 1/2 for outside this would give you a reason to cert them and allow some sneakier movement during night ops as balance i would also add search lights to all the vehicle guns as a unlock slot (maybe a few types ie. infa-red would be dim unless using IRNV at which point you would be super bright etc., i can understand why it was brightened for launch since most people would be useless 50% of the time until they unlocked but it needs to be dimmed out in the future for night combat to really mean anything
  9. vincent-

I have to agree with the op here I can't find a single devils advocate here to argue with the games night is laughable I wouldn't even dare spend on the flashlights or night vision as to me it's useless. SOE please fix this I know this use to be darker just because my outfit leaders who beta this told me that dark was dark in this game and frankly it's a joke to me as it stands.
  10. TheRev

People will just find a way to boost brightness and gamma.
  11. Javelin

If you would take some time to actually read the posts, you would see that many technical solutions already exist. Black blooming is just one example.
    • Up x 2
  12. BigIronRanger

"If indoors had lighting that could be flipped off at a wall switch or a generator blown up to knock out the lights?"

Oh god i can just imagine how tense it would be galaxy dropping into a biolab owned by VS and all the lights are out but yet you feel secure knowing you spent your certs well on flashlights and night vision scopes.

and how cool will the muzzle flash on the weapons look especially for VS.
    • Up x 4
  13. TheRev

Sorry I'm not reading 8 pages of posts. How bout you do it and give me the notes.
    Also do these "solutions" involve taxing gpu's? because if it does I can bet most will choose the low setting.
  14. Javelin

@TheRev

Not GPU taxing apparently.
  15. Being@RT

Did you notice:
    And the fps impact is not negligible..

plus the effect in those pictures isn't nearly enough to make the dude hard to spot.
  16. Javelin

This is from an earlier post by the guy that I quoted: "If implemented with good thresholds, it can even be workable during daytime to makes hiding in shadows more viable. And most importantly, it's an inexpensive (programmatically) effect, so even Jimmy playing on his grandma's toaster could have the effect forcibly enabled without crippling his framerate."
    • Up x 2
  17. Javelin

18. arventos

I'd love this so much. For those who don't believe it's viable, we need this tweaked on a public test server.
    hehe... test server...
    • Up x 2
  19. Javelin

It would be nice to get a response from a dev that has read this thread!
  20. 1fiercedeity

+1 We need true night!
    • Up x 1