[Suggestion] Please Make Night Darker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheInterim, Jan 3, 2013.

1. o.Solei.o

While I may not agree on the practicality of some of these other points (from a long time of competing against people who will do anything to "win"), I can definitely get behind the idea of a gen that powers lighting.

Attach the indoor/outdoor lighting for sections powered by specific existing gens (like gate gens) to make it clear to players both new and old what has been taken offline, while adding a great level of ambiance and immersion at the same time!
    • Up x 2
  2. ThalonGauss

ADD THE NIGHTTTTT!!!! DO IT!!!!! Yet seriously this would be a great addition to the game and I miss darker nights from beta time as well!
  3. XRIST0

Dude , they have already made night darker .. you haven't noticed ?

Literally you cannot see much at night anymore , its too dark now .

Adjust your monitor if you want it darker .
  4. Being@RT

And I thought it was just me messing up something while tweaking my settings..
  5. XRIST0

In one of the recent patches they made night darker , you are not tripping out dont worry =p
    • Up x 1
  6. fludblud

Could make the VS worth playing, they can be their usual totally crap spandex pew pew wimps during the day, but at night...

Yay for more faction variation!
  7. XRIST0

I really dont think that benifits the vanu as much as people think it does .
  8. Being@RT

I even spent an hour one night taking pictures of my game with my cellphone with the intention of posting them here to show how goddamn dark everything is for me because of my monitor.

The fact is, I can't have shadows enabled and able to fight during daytime, even if I play in windowed mode where I can adjust gamma/brightness to a 2.5 equivalent instead of the 1.00 maximum. Nighttime in fullscreen is right out, because I can't see where I'm walking. I literally had issues going up the stairs in warpgate to take those pictures to the point I had to go to windowed mode again.

I ended up not posting the pictures because of my truly horrid phone camera quality, but you can have one now:
    This one is taken during Indar daytime, with default 'high' settings in full screen at 0.00 brightness, looking at the spawn area of warpgate from the middle level of stairs. The contrast is exaggerated because of the true black levels and ****** camera.

[IMG]

Fun fact: I'm holding the Magshot with Flashlight active, although the area it's lighting is nothing but air so makes sense for it not to be visible.
  9. XRIST0

That is taken during day time ? you have a problem there lol

Does your monitor have different presets ? or maybe you can reset it to default .

I cant even tell whats in that picture , is that at the warpgate ..
  10. TheMagicCookie

On the "VS Purple is OP", why not give a little bit of light to our armor, not too much so its "HI I PLAY VS!", but really only is visible where someone else would be from NC and TR
  11. ThalonGauss

The minority should upgrade their ****** monitors rather than everyone else having to deal with bright *** nights, I'm on default brightness and the only difference at night is things glow more and the sky is navy.

Fix YOUR problem, so SOE can fix everyone elses.
  12. Kwanza

*drool* This could only be amazing.
  13. Kwanza

Not to be a jerk or anything but flat gray and maroon isn't exactly DPW approved colors man....its not all sunshine and puppies here either.
  14. phreec

Game would just turn further into IRNVside and people would tweak their brightness settings to gain an advantage.
  15. Chiss

Yes please!
  16. Being@RT

I fix my problem by playing without shadows and in windowed mode. I wanted to show why the brightness slider is in the game in the first place... if you force it to a specific value, more people will have the same problem as I do.

I'm not calling for changes on my own behalf, particularly since I do have a workaround (and I'd disable shadows anyway to get more fps, whether they made my game too dark or not).

As for upgrading my monitor? This is a freaking amazing monitor, with better picture quality (not that you'd be able to tell from the photo) than my now-broken LCD. The darkness is the only drawback.

Having a level playing field is quite the challenge. I wouldn't mind the more technical solutions proposed in this thread (as long as they don't hit the fps counter too much), but simply making things darker will still leave some people with an advantage, and may cause more people to have my issues (mine would become unsurmountable and I'd have to stop playing).

---

And of course I can't afford a new monitor just now. I'll purchase an LCD for sure in the future, but not to get more visibility. I'll do it to get more space on my table, damn CRTs and their bulk.
  17. AceMF

18. Skeleton Pirate

YES!!!
    100% Darkness!!!
    Would you like it to be as dark as DAYZ? Because some people don't play that game if it's nighttime.
    But, on the flipside...It might sorta force people onto different continents, trying to escape the terror of the night.

Either way, I love this idea.
    • Up x 1
  19. Kcalehc

Give us flare guns to brighten up places as necessary, and tracer on all weapons. Otherwise, I'm all for darker nights.
    • Up x 1
  20. Zorro

All guns use tracer rounds already, I believe. However, I would like to see flare guns. Not only would they light up areas, they could serve as distractions.