Planetside 2 says "This is not even my final form!"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Degenatron, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenatron

Seriously, all of this weeping and wailing over this weapon or that weapon, or this mechanic and that mechanic. These dramatic farewells. The drama. It all revolves around the one misguided notion: "This GU is carved in stone! Handed down by Moses himself, never to be altered!"

You're not helping. You're not. You may think you are, but you're not.

You wanna know how you REALLY help this game get better? Play it. DO all of those things you hate. Generate the metrics that the devs need to see to make informed decisions. If weapon X is over powered, they'll see that over time. They are working on it. They are ALWAYS working on it.

I know it's the mark of me becoming a bitter old man, but my disappointment doesn't come from (heroic, imo) efforts of the devs. My disappointment comes from a generation of entitle 20-somethings that can't even handle the most minor of inconveniences. I though generations were supposed to be better than the ones that came before, but I'm not seeing it. Not just here, but anywhere, everywhere.

I apologize to SOE and the mods who will inevitably have to moderate this post to save the feelings of a thousand precious snowflakes, but I am sick to death of this incessant whining. I'm constantly reminded of these sage words:

"Everything is amazing and it's being wasted on the worst generation ever." - Louis CK
    • Up x 43
  2. Eleo

SOE is partialy to blame for the sorry state this forum currently is, sometimes you have five topics on the front page complaining about the exact same subject this is unacceptable. People will always find something to complain about but this isnt a reason to let a couple of spoiled brats ruin a discussion board.

I'm not saying this game is perfect but when you constantly have the typical "XYZ OP I QUIT PS211!!" is seriously sickening me.
    I put myself in the head of a newcomer looking for advice on the forum and stumble on all those whinning topic, I wouldnt even bother launching the game.

SOE its up to you.
    • Up x 1
  3. PieBringer

That makes two of us.
    • Up x 1
  4. Winfield

The more sad state of things is that no one seems to be capable of talking about things objectively. The most active posters on these forums(discounting select few) only care about their own faction and blindly want it to remain as it is/or get buffs.

This is happening with for example the Aegis Shield. The Aegis Shield in itself is a perfect tool for a squad/platoon to make advances in indoor condition and even avoid tank fire/aoe damage(rocket pods, c4, grenades).

People still keep blindly demanding for buffs, when those buffs would make Aegis Shield OP.

I don't want that. I want balance. I want this game to have less things that instagib you right off the bat.
    Good example here is MAX units. In my opinion MAX units should be extremely durable and kill at a bit slower pace while having good sustained dps. The inherent flaw with the MAX is that they are durable, do extreme damage in such a little time that an infantry units don't even have time to react if the MAX user has half a brain cell to aim with.

The problems don't stop there and I'm not "whining" here. I'm talking about all the factions and I'm trying to do it objectively. Sometimes I go over the top too, I'm only human after all.

But hey, OP, thumbs up for you.
  5. Eyeklops

I agree, which was why I had a love/hate relationship with shotguns for a few months. And the did get nerfed, a few times.
  6. Valena

I can honestly say that the PS2 forums and the community involved here has been one of the worst online experiences of my life. Most people are entitled little brats, a good number do nothing but troll and everyone else has been or is slowly being turned bitter by it.

I absolutely dread logging on these forums every day because the people here are just terrible for the most part. The only reason I even bother to come back day after day is to check on the progress of the threads I care about. Legitimate concerns about balance, suggestions that would actually make the game fun again, and keeping myself up to date with the most recent bugs so I know what to expect in game.

Frankly, I pity SOE and all the **** they have to sift through, but they're not innocent themselves. When you have five different threads each ten or more pages long about the same balance concern and not a single SOE representative or dev bothers to acknowledge the problem, it only inflames the situation.

How hard would it be for one of the devs to comment on threads about legitimate concerns? A simple "If you guys aren't happy with how this works then we'll take a look," or "Sorry that you guys aren't happy, but this is working as intended and won't be changed," would suffice in the cases where there are multiple threads about the same issue. However, this just doesn't happen, which leads the community to (understandably) feel like they're being ignored and that their concerns don't matter.

A good example of this is the Nanoweave bug thread. It was in the top 5 most voted for bug reports for months (still is, despite having been locked), but SOE never once in all that time made a statement about the status of the bug, if they were aware of it, or if they were working on a solution. In GU10, they 'legitimized' the bug by changing the item description of Nanoweave from the previous percentage increase to flat numbers. This change was not mentioned in any of the GU10 patch notes, either. It just happened and it angered a lot of people. Only after the fact did SOE come out and say that Nanoweave had an incorrect description for months and it had been updated to reflect the actual values.
    This, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Not because Nanoweave is OP or UP, but because of the complete lack of communication between developers and players that we're all told exists, but in actuality is just a figment of our imaginations.

I guess what it boils down to is both sides have pretty poor attitudes. People like to whine and cry and flame and troll, and SOE likes to publicly ignore the concerns of PS2 players. Frankly, I'm just as sick of SOE ignoring concerned players as I am of the trolls on these forums. No wonder nothing ever gets better.
    • Up x 10
  7. DxAdder

SOE is responsible for the forums and they let the inmates run the asylum.

How may threads were there about ZOE (or insert whine of the week here)?

This week is VS Populations, they need to make one thread and lock the rest. Anyone coming here for the first time
    is going to read pages and pages of whining, why would you play a game which by the looks of it broken in most respects.

I'm sure as we get closer to the PS4 launch the PR team will clean this up, at least I hope.
  8. Endlos

I'm not going to be an unpaid tester for something that I no longer enjoy.

Planetside is going through more changes and growing pains than many games I've played in Beta, yet SOE has been charging for subs and microtransactions for the past 7 months. They sell $7 weapons and then sell better $7 weapons and then sell better $7 weapons while core gameplay elements such as any tangible meta game or the absolutely abhorrent physics engine remain untouched.

And you know what, I could live with that. I even threw some of my own money at SOE. I could have fun with the game. Not the terrible infantry combat rife with skill-less one-shots and blind instagibs, but I could enjoy PS2 for nothing more than the sheer scale of it. Hauling *** across a snowy tundra with my buddy in my Harasser to catch up to a massive armor column, all their headlights aglow in the distance, while moonlit shadows of dogfights danced around on the terrain, that... that was something awesome that I just couldn't get in any other game.

PS2 no longer gives me that experience any more, or rather the potential experience alone isn't enough to put up with all of SOE's bull****. Between player bleed, server imbalances, the proliferation of easy-to-use, no-or-low-cost anti-vehicular weaponry, the CoD players that footzerg from one base to the next and then ***** when they don't have a magic button to instantly destroy the tank that rightfully exploded them, the aforementioned joke of a physics engine, and the absolutely ridiculous resource price increases for vehicles in a clear attempt to sell more boosts and memberships, I've simply had my fill.

Why do something I don't enjoy just so some developer can look at some statistics and maybe change the game in a way I'd enjoy more? I could just go straight to something I enjoy, which, sadly, is anything other than logging into Planetside. Even the forums are more fun, and the main reason I stick around is to see if the devs ever do start to show signs of a rectal headectomy.

There's no way I'd deliberately do anything I hate, let alone all of the things I hate. That's just insane. I don't NEED Planetside. Planetside NEEDS me. Or, well, it needs people to stop leaving the game. GU011 seems to have been the final nail for a lot of players, though.
    • Up x 1
  9. XtalDelphium

It's true OP. I have played a lot of MMO's, and this forum is one of the worst I've come across in terms of whining and a sense of entitlement. I personally have had an amazing time playing this game over the last year or so and most of the people I play with have as well. Sure, it has its issues (as a TR on Mattherson I am well aware of the population imbalances which everyone is complaining about now), but none of them are bad enough to ruin my fun, and in a game like this that is ever-evolving they are likely to be fixed in due time. And I'm not saying everyone should be having a blast, it is fine not to be having fun if certain issues really bother you. Criticisms are fine, even necessary for the well-being of the game, as long as they are constructive, but this forum is just flooded with posts that just consist of nothing but whining.

That Louis C.K. quote is perfect, by the way.
  10. notyourbuddy

Planetside 2 says "Time to randomly crash again!"
  11. Macchus

How your thread has this title but not even one of these i will not understand ...

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  12. Degenatron

Yet any response at would only inflame the situation more. If the give an ambiguous answer, they get raked over the coals for that. If that give a definite answer, they'll stir up a huge $#!t-storm between those that want X and those who don't. And then, if X doesn't make it into the next patch - all hell breaks loose.

I'm sorry, but it is naive to think either one of those statements isn't a land-mine. "We'll take a look" = "we'll hotfix it tomorrow" in most peoples minds, and when that doesn't happen, now the crying is only worse. Say "it won't be changed" and sure enough, next month after looking at the data, now it needs to be changed, holy-$#!t put your waders on it's gonna get deep.

On top of all that, the team DOES try to make those kinds of statements or at least explain their reasoning, which either A) gets wholly ignored or B) twisted into something else.

OK, so this is what gets me: It's not that you actually had a problem with the nanoweave, it's that the tool-tip description was wrong, and your problem is that they FIXED the tool-tip without telling you in advance. Dude, if you need someone to talk to, try this.
  13. Degenatron

Funny, I have a DOG of a PC - Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 ghz, 4 gb ram, and a 560ti. I never crash in PS2. Never.

So maybe it's not PS2 that's crashing, maybe it's your system.
    • Up x 1
  14. Pat Cleburne

One of the main problems as mentioned above is how the developers do not even have the common courtesy to chime in on these forums and let us know they are looking into an issue. When you have 500 threads about population, or 1000 about ZOE max, obviously it needs some attention. So people make post after post about it, many of which get shut down and locked for the most petty of reasons without any response from a developer and this fuels the fire.

I for one have supported the hell out of this game. I've recruited many people to it and advertised the hell out of it. I've also dropped over $700 dollars on it, which is fine, I have a good job and money to spend. That said, I feel that having played as much as I have and given as much support as I have since launch the developers could at least take the time to address one of my thousand posts about population imbalance. I'm obviously not alone on the issue.

So when you paint with a broad brush and call people entitled 20 somethings, know that not everyone is in that category, and many have contributed greatly to a game in which they feel that had potential but has gotten off track.

By the way, I'm not a 20 something. I'm 37. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    • Up x 2
  15. Fivetide

Its a game, its not work. If its not fun then why play it? I dont feel like working for free or paying Sony to work for them.
    They have been working on the game for 8 months and still its not even one step closer to the greatness of ps1.
    • Up x 1
  16. Degenatron

"An unpaid tester" - Have you ever actually done any game testing work? Try making My Little Pony Fantasy Stables glitch and crash for 10 hours a day for 5 days and then come back here and tell me playing this game is anything like being a game tester.

Here's the alternative: The game is never seen by the consumers, it's hyped to the moon, it's put on the shelves for $65, and after release not another word is every heard from the devs.

"They sell $7 weapons..." - WRONG. This is said over and over and it's always WRONG. They sell TIME. What you are buying is the time it would have taken to grind out that weapon. You can HAVE that weapon for FREE if you put in the TIME. Or you can have it NOW if you put in the money. Why is this such a hard concept for people to grasp? I never buy weapons, only cosmetics. Don't blame SOE for capitalizing on your impatiences.

"absolutely ridiculous resource price increases" - Wow, the pet gripe of the week. Never mind the fact that the REAL reason they did that was because it has been the plan all along. If you had any integrity at all, you'd have been complaining about the endless resources that flowed like water. The devs start to FIX the resource problem and people flip nuts. The topper, it's a NON-PROBLEM. God forbid you be careful with your vehicles. I have yet to actually have a problem with running out of resources except with my infantry kits.

"PS2 no longer gives me that experience any more", "There's no way I'd deliberately do anything I hate", "Even the forums are more fun, and the main reason I stick around is to see if the devs ever do start to show signs of a rectal headectomy.", "Planetside NEEDS me." - So you don't play, you just troll the forums. News flash: Planetside DOESN'T need you. The last thing PS2 needs is another forum troll.
    • Up x 2
  17. Dannymark

Hey found Planetside 2 final form for you.

[IMG]

Your welcome.
    • Up x 3
  18. Valena

I'm not talking about petty threads about individual weapons and biased calls for nerfs and buffs. I'm talking about legitimate, real, gamebreaking concerns. Like the VS overpop on Mattherson. It doesn't just ruin the game for TR and NC players, it makes playing the VS incredibly dull and boring to have no one to fight. So far, the devs have said absolutely NOTHING on this issue.

It's naive to think that silence is a better alternative to addressing the concerns of an overwhelmingly large portion of the affected population. I know of many, many people who have left over this exact reason. That the devs are taking the game in the wrong direction, they aren't listening to their player base, and they're taking too long to fix game breaking bugs and issues.
    You can call them heroic all you like, and you can call the rest of us entitled brats until you're blue in the face, but like it or not unless SOE starts doing things differently people will stop playing the game, peroid.

You assume too much. I do have a problem with Nanoweave. It screwed up my favorite class beyond belief. But this isn't about my gripes with Nanoweave, this is about how SOE does not communicate with their players very well. Like I said it was a huge concern for many people, and not only did they never once tell their concerned player base that it was working as intended, but they 'fixed' it without even mentioning it in the patch notes. If they had at least done that much I guarantee you a lot of us wouldn't have felt as stabbed in the back as we do.

Yes, people whine on the forums, but SOE's poor communication doesn't help things. Many people have a problem with this, not just me. It's bad customer service, and it's made worse by the fact that they advertise as being open to suggestions from the community, and valuing our feedback. I have very rarely, if ever, seen this done in practice. This has nothing to do with being a 20 something, or being entitled. It has everything to do with feeling ignored when we were told that we would be listened to.

Here's another great example of SOE not listening to their player base. The new Infiltrator cloak coloring. Back when it was on the PTS Infiltrators begged SOE not to release it into the live game. They were ignored and the ESC cloak is now live and makes identifying enemy infiltrators just as easy as identifying friendly ones. That is a big problem for an already weak class and Infiltrators almost unanimously want the old cloak back, but will SOE say anything about it? Absolutely not. For all we know they could hotfix it out of the game tomorrow, or in a month, or in a year, or they'll never even consider it. The bottom line is we don't know, and that is a problem that need not be, because in the meantime a lot of Infiltrators are upset over having their effectiveness hurt and they feel like SOE doesn't really care about their concerns.

On another note, the 20 something generation doesn't deserve nearly as much blame for this kind of thing as you like to give them. You should be directing the blame onto the shoulders of the game publishers. The corporate big-wigs that push and push and push for games to be released before they're ready so they can be out in time for Christmas. What you get is an unfinished game that the developers try desperately to fill the holes of with content patches, DLC and hotfixes. All too often it blows up in their face and the game tanks a year or two later. But the big shots don't really care about that. They made their millions. They earned back what they invested. Now it's time to push another game out before it's ready and rake in those Christmas sales dollars.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a great example of this, and how EA ruined a promising game by rushing it ahead of schedule. That game needed another 6 to 12 months of development at least and frankly, PS2 could have used another 6 months of beta itself.

And you would be what, exactly? From your responses to myself and to others who have posted in your thread you seem completely incapable of having a reasonable discussion without getting angry and resorting to accusations, name calling, purposefully misquoting posts and quite a lot of whining yourself.

Turn off your computer, go take a walk and cool down. Your OP may have made some good points, but now you just look like a troll yourself.
  19. Degenatron

"I equate playing video games with work." - This is what I'm talking about when I say the next generation sucks. Try paving asphalt by the side of a highway and then tell me playing a video game is work. The nerve of these guys.

And you're looking at PS1 through nostalgia-colored glasses. PS1 was a great game but come on, it had PLENTY of flaws. And how often did PS1 get updates?
  20. starlinvf

As callous as this sounds, its not their primary to job to moderate the forums and respond to myriad of duplicate posts, or continuously respond to folks that demand an answer, then chastise them when they do...... all that time would be wasted here trying to do damage control, when they could be far more productive actually working on the code and game assets.

Enter the forum moderators, PR reps, and the community manager. It is "their" primary job to sift through posts, gather, gauge, then compile a list of player feedback, prioritize issues in the eyes of the community, then present it to Higby and the design guys to see whats working as intended, whats a problem, and then prioritize the workflow.

When the Devs do directly read/respond to the forums/reddit/what have you, it can also be quite insightful if done in small doses. And theres always that off chance that some well articulated post can get correctly get an otherwise complicated issue across. And as it was mentioned before, when they do make themselves known, the responses become even more erratic as tens or even hundreds of players try to flood them as loud as possible, thinking that stating something (even opinion) to them directly will somehow "force them" into doing what they specifically want. While this community may not be the worst, its still far from proper objectivity.

If you wanna talk abnormally civil, check the Minecraft forums. The mindset of the game, and its community, are vastly different then this and many other games, leading to overall more productive feedback.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.