Planetside 1 was infinitely better

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Daemonn, Jan 9, 2016.

1. f0d

going to disagree with a few things here
    vehicles: yes you had to get lower vehicles before you could get a MBT but you could also get up to something like BR6 in the training area in 5 minutes then fight for 1/2 a day and you can have a MBT - i know because i did this a few times when they had the free trials for 30 days

Sanctuaries:i DO have recordings of it happening (somewhere) - i think its a pretty bad recording though because back then all i had was an old athlon single core and a horrible graphics, will try and dig it up after this post

continents: most continents were BIGGER have a look at videos of cyssor and the like or even now see how long it takes you to fly or drive from one end of cyssor to the other - much bigger

Command- you seem to just not like the OS which was EASY to avoid because it gave you such an early warning you could just slowly walk out of the way, only numptys got caught in an OS

And at the end of the day. Planetside 1's numbers speak for themselves: yes they did, for around 4 years (2003-2006) the population was much more than in ps2 at any stage - sure at around 6 years it was dieing but look at ps2 now its barely been 3 years and populations have dropped down so low that people are saying the game is dead every day on the forums, im doubting ps2 will last anywhere near as long as ps1 did

i will agree the infantry shooting mechanics/fps system whatever you want to call it was horrible, but that was the only downside to ps1 imo

the PS1 BR system was WAY better i dont get your problem with it as you could gain things (guns vehicles) much faster than you can in PS2 and if you diddnt like what you had you could swap it out - simple
    when i used to play for the 30 day free trial by the end of it i had MBT's a bunch of other vehicles (like deliverer varients) unimax (all max's) special assault and REXO armor and combat engineer to lay down spitfires and mines
    in the first day of the game i can get unimax and a tank and maybe combat engineer

i lonewolfed much easier in ps1 than you could in ps2 because people actually helped out with transport, you just hang around the vbay and there would ALWAYS be someone who needed a gunner or was willing to offer a lift to the next base - in ps2 they just drive off 1/2 in their tanks or other vehicles and dont care about anyone else

in ps2 after a day or even month you get bugger all, you cant compete with other tanks because they have max upgraded zoom/reload speed/have fully upgraded shield/lockdown/magburn and most likely have fully upgraded stealth/auto repair/front or side armor also - you cant compete with other infantry who have the best guns that need to be unlocked and they have fully unlocked HA resist shields and medkits and other items
    in ps1 everyone had the same stuff so you were all on relatively equal footing

couldnt find the videos but here are some pics of loads of gals and people loading up in the in the sanctuarys (sanctuarys worked much better than what is in ps2)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  2. FateJH

Technically, you could have your Medium Battle Tank by BR1 since the game gives you 7cp (ertification points) to start and you could repurpose three of them (2cp for Armor Assault 1 and 1cp for Armor Assault 2).
    That's 3cp (Armor Assault 1 + Armor Assault 2), 2cp (Ground Transport), 5cp (UNIMAX), 5cp (Medium Assault + Special Assault), 3cp (Reinforced Exo-Suit), and 5cp (Engineer + Combat Engineer), for a total of 23 certs at BR20. (I was unaware the trial accounts allowing levelling that high.)

For context, depending on when he played the trial account, the level cap was either BR24 or BR40.
    • Up x 1
  3. Taemien

Disagree then dispute this one first:

Everyone's avoiding that like its the plague for some reason.

You all are proving me right simply by playing PS2 over PS1. Switch the games and prove me wrong.
  4. CovertYank

I might be the only one, but I utterly hated PS1.
  5. TataLebuj

So you want us to leave? What a great spokesperson you are for this game. How about they give me the Planetside TWO I was expecting as a player and supporter of Planetside ONE? No, instead I have to play a dismal mockery of a great and epic game. Or I can come here and read your buffoonery, each of your comments has been blatantly wrong or purely opinion.

So we know what you think, you didn't like PS1 for the limited time you played. On the server I played on the community, game, and tactics were outstanding (Werner, btw). That's missing today, what is here is this "I-wish-I-was-<insert major FPS game>". Yes, we have bigger battles then CoD or BFx, but those battles are meaningless until they are organized. You can't do that as well now as you could before.

And it's a complete joke to say that "well if you play PS2 over PS1 that means you love PS2 more" or any similar comparison.
    Why aren't I playing PS1? Because there's not much of a population on, when there is a population it's full of cheaters because no one is doing updates anymore, and I actually just got back to playing this game from others. Playing this game makes me remember the better times I had with PS1. Yet you want to completely ignore that.

So how about this - we understand that you don't like PS1 and don't think it was that cool. Well, you also didn't play it very much, so you have little to base your opinion on. People like me, who played from one beta until the next, loved that game. This game is meh. It could be great, and I hope the people running it listen to my opinion over yours.
    • Up x 4
  6. f0d

for me its because its empty
    the same reason i will stop playing ps2 (which i still think is an ok game) or any other mmo
    when ps2 has such a low playerbase that its no longer fun i will stop playing ps2 also

just like i have stopped playing loads of other games like global agenda and endless ages and anarchy online
    doesnt make any of them bad - in fact they some of my favorite games and i wish they were still populated
    every game dies out after a while and planetside 2 is heading that way now which i am not happy about as there isnt many other games i like to play

so you would play ps2 when it eventually becomes empty? because it will one day
    will you consider ps2 a failure if it doesnt last as long as ps1?

yeah i think i admittedly got that wrong lol - im guessing i swapped around SA combat engineer ground transport and rexo for when i wanted them - it was a long time ago and im an old man :rolleyes:
    i remember magrider and unimax was what i got pretty much right off the bat tho
    i also remember there was no level cap on trial accounts, it was as far as you could go during the time

getting BR's was much easier in ps1 compared to ps2
  7. The Shermanator

This'll be fun.

I never got above BR 15, and I was always able to be a fully equipped combat engineer with a vanguard.

Untrue. There were plenty of people diving out of vehicles in REXOs. The difference was that REXO couldn't drive things like main battle tanks. This was called balance. Vehicle drivers were generally weaker for their mounts.

A hole you can't get out of? Every 24 hours you could respec one certification.

PS2 maps aren't very big, either. I have not noticed any real difference in size, frankly.

It happened all the time. Pretending that it didn't is just you being an idiot.

No recordings of it?

You are an idiot.

Planetside 1 had more to do. A larger overall world, more complex metagame, and was overall a better game. Yes, the gunplay sucked. No, that does not excuse SOE/Daybreak from completely abandoning everything else that was gold-plated about Planetside 1.
    • Up x 4
  8. f0d

nice video
    i miss sanctuarys
    • Up x 2
  9. Goretzu

By all accounts mostly because as soon as a decent number of players build up a hacker logs on and kills EVERYONE and everyone logs off.

But really there's "better" and "better".

Is PS2 a "better" game because it was made over a decade later? Even though they couldn't manage doors, choked-modes, inventories or droppable loot, yes........ because it had 10 years of technoligical progress and also because it ran of on a reasonable spec PC (PS1 needed a PC that basically wasn't invented back then to get the best out ot it).

Is PS2 a "better" game in terms of design, depth, scope? Not even close, even now 3 years on...... still almost everything PS1 had that PS2 does not would make PS2 a better game.

I wonder even about the $$$'s side of things, PS1 was bringing 60,000 to 50,000 x $15 every month for at least 2.5 years, I'd be surprised if PS2 generates $15 per player per month, never mind if you adjust that $15 for inflation relative to 2003 (which I'd guess means PS2 would need to actually be brining in $20-25 per player per month).

PS1 wasn't a great success, but there were a LOT of reasons for that (from being ahead of its time, to it being too expensive for what it was, to SOE never spending anything at all on advertising), the reasons weren't that it was a terrible game.
    Equally PS2 being F2P/microtransaction hides a lot of sins, if PS2 had launched as a subscription MMO it would have been closed down by now.
    • Up x 2
  10. Goretzu

That definately happened quite a lot, not all the time, not always every day, but I used to see it many times a week in PS1s prime.

One of the pleasures of PS1 was logging in to find a massive (semi)organised sanctuary force building up, especially if it was building up to retake a home warpgate, because then it was personal.

I don't think there was anything magical about it, it was just it was THE place that concentrated your factions forces, allowing much easier organic build up of forces and with low level organisation.......... and as mentioned it was a pure insult to allow a home Warp Gate to be taken. So sanctuaries were a simple idea that resulted in a complex and better mode of gameplay, in all honesty like a lot of things I don't think the PS2 Devs actually understood what they were removing by not having them in PS2 (even if it was yet another "engine limitation" as the reason for it).

Forces do something similar in PS2 Warpgates sometimes too, but I've almost never seen the same scale in PS2, in PS2 the build up tends to more occur at a base fight.
    • Up x 1
  11. Goretzu

Core Combat wasn't a good expansion, but not really for the new vehicles it brought, more that the Caverns weren't Stalingrad so much as Lagcrystaldiscoballhell.

BFRs were just an example of SOE not really being sure of what they wanted.

The flying solo BFRs were a totally daft and astoundingly bad idea (both in being solo vehicles AND in having jump-jets), they should never have existed, and basically weren't balanced till they nerfed them down to not much more powerful than a MAX.
    The 2 player gunner BFRs were a much more balanceable idea (both as the inital super tough BFR and the later much weaker BFR), if they'd been the only varient things would have been much smoother.
    • Up x 2
  12. Littleman

Ignorance is not evidence to your "fact."

FACT: Planetside being a strictly pvp game, there's zero reason to play either PS1 or PS2 if there's no one to play with. We can still generally expect player numbers to climb around prime time in PS2, but twilight hours/early morning? Junk. A few squads worth of players on a single continent at best, and often with staggering empire population imbalances.

And even that is dwindling.

Please, stop pretending like One can just log into PS1 and have a blast. It'll take a sizable organized effort and player number consistency to jump start that one's heart again. Except there are other games, FPS', RPGs, you name it, that are more interesting to people than trying to organize an effort to revive a game. Who doesn't have a backlog anymore?
    • Up x 3
  13. FieldMarshall

Because its a dead game with zero support from 2003 inhabited by hackers and PS2 isnt a bad substitute?
    Dispute what? There is nothing to dispute because your "final point" isnt an argument.
    • Up x 2
  14. Nody

What PS1 has that PS2 lacks:

1) Hackable vehicles and doors (yes, you read that right you could hack ANY enemy vehicle and take it over) and bases has actually locked doors that you had to hack to get through

2) Actual balance in the air; Libs were for G2G, Reavers were heavy but slower with A2A and A2G but would be eaten by Mosqs who were primarly A2A but skilled pilots could do A2G with nose cannon as well. Libs could bomb from heights they could not even be spotted (depending on map) but bombs showed up on map and they were not jetplanes in speed...

3) Factions actually had noticeable differences, you did not have carbon copies of every weapon and vehicle on each side

4) Lootable weapons; killed that enemy? Well feel free to steal his weapon and go to town with it then.

5) Actual mine fields (default was to deploy 20 mines rather than the pitiful attempts in PS2) which did not stick out from a mile away

6) Vehicles required gunners; no solo killing vehicles outside of the Flash. Want a MBT? You need a gunner (excl. Magrider who had the fixed front gun) rather than the solo gungho style of PS2

7) Distance actually mattered; you did not go instantly respawn from one side of the map to the other. This meant transport vehicles actually mattered, the distance between bases meant you did not spend 20s to run over but spent 5 min or more to go between bases which mean *gasp* there was actually space for that mid / long range infantry and vehicle fighting to happen and mid way spawn points (i.e. AMSes) actually had a point.
    • Up x 1
  15. f0d

all good points but the above two are the ones i miss the most

because continents were bigger and the distance between bases was longer you had some pretty epic battles in between bases quite often, actually i would guess that the battles in ps2 were 50/50 split in between bases and in bases

i also miss having a gunner for tanks instead of doing it yourself, the battles were more mobile and strategic with a dedicated driver and dedicated gunner
    vehicle battles in ps2 are slow and almost stationary in comparison
    • Up x 1
  16. Pikachu

Most interesting to read these comparisons. I had never heard of ps1 until these forums. I wonder how much if ps2's lacking in good ps1 featuress is by design and how much is because the game had only 18 months of development.
  17. Taemien

This is the only argument you all have. The ONLY one. And its debunked by the fact that EQ1 despite being 16 years old, still brings in players. Still sells expansions. Still gets sales on Kronos (I know of a person who has accumulated 190 of the things on Phinegal) And is NOT outdone by EQ2 nor Landmark (which is for all intents and purposes, is the EQ3 alpha). And three times THIS year opened new servers and had queues each time (each server can hold 5000 players.. more than the regular servers).

And there is almost a dozen of you and you will NOT band together to play PS1. You won't. I'd almost wager DBC on it, you all cannot give up PS2 for PS1. You just won't do it. You can't. PS2 is that much better. You all can't explain it, you don't know why, you just can't bring yourselves to tear away from PS2. It is and forever will be the better game.

The problem you all have is the rose colored goggles. How about this, give PS1 a try, play it for a month. Just one month. That's 4 weeks. Don't give me this stuff about no one playing it, there's still some diehards over there, and those with machines that can't go to PS2. You'll have a fight.

One of two things will happen:

You'll figure out why you stopped playing and realize the truth about PS2.
    or....
    You might even prove me wrong, rekindle your love for PS1 and stick to it.

So what do you all have to lose? Seriously what is it? Just give it a shot. I gave PS1 a fair shake and played it for about a week. Why won't you all do that? Heck do it together so you have a regular group to run with. Give yourselves an advantage. Stop giving me this crap about an old game. I've been playing EQ for the last month and unlike you all, I'm not afraid to say I've enjoyed it.

So.. I'm not asking you all to do something I haven't done myself.
  18. Reclaimer77

Most old games die off, especially those replaced by a sequel. That doesn't mean Planetside1 "failed"....
  19. Taemien

How well was PS1 doing in 2010-2012? So now you're going to tell me you all played PS1 till November 2012? What's up with the dishonesty here?
  20. Crator

You are forgetting that MMOs in the past required monthly subscriptions that cost $15. That, on top of the box price of usually $40 - $60.