Placing ammo box forces swap to main weapon

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Gittun, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Gittun

I have run into this bug multiple times so far while repairing max's at stalemates.

What happens is that once the ammo box actually pops (a few seconds after placing the outline/beacon thing), I automatically equip my main weapon. So I've actually had the following happen more than once:

Repair max, see ammo pack is gone, replace ammo pack, switch to repair gun again, repair max again, shoot max because the game switched my gun

This is especially infuriating if I'm trying to avoid getting weapon locked again after losing the lock.
    • Up x 10
  2. TheCakebuilder

This is so annoying.
  3. iEatGlue

This happens to me often as well. It also happens to the medic on occasion (go to heal a character and it auto equips your gun, in which you shoot said character dead).
  4. Kreyl

I agree this needs to be fixed.
  5. FallowField

Count me as another Engineer/Medic who's had problems with my main weapons suddenly replacing my healing pistol. Speaking of which, I find it mildly annoying that the engineers repair gun looks so similar to the default pistol for New Conglomerate and Terran Republic. The Vanu engineers get that plasma pistol which is different enough looking that its not a problem fortunately.

On non-Vasu engineers I pretty much have to always use the keybind to select my repair gun and double check its not my pistol before using it, which is a pain. I'm just glad that the resetting glitch thing switches in the main weapon instead of the pistol so its more obvious that my weapon got switched in the split second I need to notice it before healing.

Not so much a problem with the medic-gun since it's got that big screen on the side. If they put a big screen thing (or some other obvious gizmo) on the side of the engineers repair gun as well then it would help alot.
  6. Faze

7. THX1138

2nd this issue. Very annoying. Deploying turret or ammo should always go back to previous item in your hand, not just primary.
  8. Athanasius

And with the delayed 'swap to main' on the ammo pack that swap should be cancelled if you meantime manually select any slot. That way if you're on main gun, switch to ammo, deploy and then switch to repair you won't suddenly be back on main gun and shooting the MAX you mean to repair.
    • Up x 1
  9. Nak2

10. Ghoest

I really like that it swaps to main weapon.

Im often in firefights and someone needs ammo so I throw some out - it would make the fights more awkward is my weapon wasnt the default after I drop ammo.
  11. ClosetDrinker

Setting down ammo boxes and turrets makes perfect sense to auto-switch back to main weapon, I quite like that feature. But when I specifically switch to repair tool and start repairing someone and it suddenly switches back to main weapon for no reason while I have fire button depressed and shoots my teammates, it is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. How could they code such a thing? It seem like they coded it so the repair tool can randomly act like a "consumable" or one use item and forces switch back to main gun after being used. I hope they fix this issue soon.
  12. Drinstafrim

Ran into this issue tonight when healing up a MAX. Really annoying when they're on low health. :(
  13. Novmiech

agree / bump
  14. Imkish

I've had this issue as well, but getting weapon locked isn't my biggest concern. After a big fight my small squad was in where the MAX and I were both very wounded and our medic killed, I threw down an ammo box, accidentally shot the MAX, which caused his paranoid, jumpy self to turn around assuming we missed an infiltrator and just open fire.

Only time the friendly fire in that situation has killed me, but certainly not the only time I've gotten shot. Maybe I should start hanging around with a less jumpy MAX in addition to asking for a bug fix.
  15. KlyptoK

It's soooo dumb.
  16. Tatanka

For all of the MAXs I've almost killed due to this, I salute you.

It's even more frustrating because for a moment, your repair tool is visable. Then suddenly your weapon is out and you're shooting up what you are trying to repair.
  17. Daejin

First off, it's not a bug, it's intentional. This is how it works: After setting downt he ammo pack, you will switch to your main weapon. If you notice, the ammo pack itself takes about 2-3 seconds before materializing and start givin' ammo to the players around it. When the pack does materialize after those 2-3 seconds, you will once again be forced to switch to your main weapon.

It needs to be changed, but for now, wait 3 seconds after dropping an ammo pack before you start to try to repair anything.
  18. Bubblewrap2

19. Mafarett

I don't see why they felt the need to implement this change, it was fine before when you had to manually switch to whatever you wanted to use. The current system is annoying as when I'm running in a squad there will be a couple maxes around and I want to repair them. After placing an ammo box I'll immediately pull out my repair gun and it will stay out for a second before switching to my gun.
  20. EazyDuzIt

Agreed, this needs to be fixed.