Phoenix fire through spawn room shields.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celeris, May 27, 2014.

1. Epic High Five

Compared to how annoying it is to be sniped by 800m/s Lancer fire from some cliff 700m away, only you don't know what it is until you die because it doesn't render, the Phoenix is a decidedly mild annoyance
    • Up x 1
  2. Goretzu

I don't think there is a spawn room window anywhere that more than one Pheonix user can shoot out of, doors you can get 2 shooting out of if you are perfectly positioned (although you end up losing a lot of rockets to people exiting). Even the entire end wall sheilds only allow 4 fireing with perfect positioning (3 is more realistic and can be as low as 1 if people are badly positioned).

But then on top of that there's the outside geomomatry, many bases simply don't let you get a Pheonix away from inside, yes you get it through the shield, but the it can't turn sharpely enough to avoid hitting a building or wall.

Honestly your comments read like yet another person that's simply never used the Phoenix outside the VR and don't seem to have a clue how they perform in the actual game.

I mean how are you going to nerf the Pheonix exactly? They already have the LOWEST DPS AND SHORTEST RANGE OF ANY RL! o_O

So you nerf the DPS and range even further and then you're complaining about 6-7 (rather than 5) perfectly co-ordinated Pheonix users blowing your Sunderer up (a Sunderer that no one is repairing and no one is gunning in - because 2 people repairing and 2 people gunning would easily keep a Sunderer up against 10 perfectly co-ordinated Pheonixs users! :confused:).

It is just plain baseless nerf whining. :(
  3. Goretzu

The Striker has one big advantage; large one clip DPS, when combined (as proposed above with the Pheonix) with 4-5 firing at just one target nothing much will survive, it is in fact utterly devastating when used like that.

It also scares the pants off pilot and drivers with the speed their health drops, most don't come back.

It's also much easier to use out of a spawn room than a Pheonix, on balance.
  4. Goretzu

Given the Pheonixes DPS and kills per unit rate is so low, I can't imagine they are bothered.

I ask again HOW would you nerf what is already the lowest DPS & shortest range RL in the game exactly? :confused:

It is one thing to jump up and down screaming "Nerf it! Now!", but how exactly would they nerf it?
    • Up x 1
  5. Alyz

I'd like to repeat the points I made in my first post in this thread, now that I made the experience with the Phoenix:

- Fix the Phoenix to be controllable and fun
    - Fix shooting out of the spawnroom so that any weapon can without problems
    - Fix the base design so that tanks and libs can't constantly fire at the spawnroom
    - Give all factions a steerable rocket that can be fired from the spawnroom

In my opinion, the role of the Phoenix is to annoy and scare away, and it does this job ok in specific terrain, whether or not from the spawnroom.
    To be better in this role the Phoenix should have higher maneuverability, twice the way to travel in less range indicated by static and losing the connection and less damage.
    A sensible counter to the Phoenix would be to upgrade the IR anti-lockon vehicle smoke to also cause interferences and have a Phoenix user lose control if too close to the smoke. Lets call it "Electro Nanite Cloud" :)

At the same time introduce a 1-ammo NS rocket with high maneuverability, 2 shots to kill a tank and as backdraw have it slow moving with big hitbox and 100 infantry + 100 vehicle + 100 air res.
    If you can hit ANY vehicle with that around a spawnroom with high chance to kill, then it would actually do what people thinks the Phoenix can or should do.
  6. Fenrisk

All weapons should be blocked by spawn shields to force players to leave the spawn room to defend the base or redeploy to defend the base.

All the current spawn shields encourage is camping from inside and outside the spawn. That isn't fun for either side.
  7. Hegeteus

Just leave your vehicle behind a decent cover, close to a wall or cliff which will make it impossible to hit from spawn. If that doesn't work, you can either get free repair exp or just shoot down the Phoenix rockets(takes one shot, I can't see the problem). It's C4 you should be worried about, not Phoenix.

Also, in defense situations spawn is pretty much the only place you can shoot Phoenix from, unless you want to die to infiltrators in a nanosecond. Would you rather shoot sharks outside than inside from the shark-cage?? Yeah let me get out of spawn and bend over.

Before you declare Phoenix OP, watch this.

• Up x 1
  8. blackboemmel

THE DEVS...
    ...do not only have the stats, they also tested the phoenix ingame - even from inside spawn rooms. (obviously they found out that this weapon is somehow very different from your description.)
    so: the only way for you to change their opinion would be to record yourself using that "horrible game mechanic" as an "easy, cheesy cert source".
    (you know that you can test it 30 minutes for free? also: there is nothing you can upgrade on that weapon, so you'll have the real thing.)
    i'm looking forward to see that video, but somehow i have the feeling that i'll never see it and the devs will continue to ignore you. :(
    • Up x 1
  9. Goretzu

That video does demonstrate how ridculously easy Pheonixes are to shoot down.

As I've mentioned above with the right Sunderer weapons, and two gunners, they can likely stop any Pheonixes hitting the Sunderer.
  10. Alyz

This video demonstrates how easy it is for a BR100 to shoot down Phoenix rockets flying straight at him with clear LOS the whole time. The Phoenix user doesn't even attempt evasive maneuvers while Yamiks easily can get rid of the snipers trying to kill him.
    Another example of a veteran pwning some noobs, rather than a display of how easy Phoenix are shot down if the user knows what he's doing.
    If the snipers and the Phoenix HA timed their attack just a little, they could've easily hit Yamiks, cause he has to uncloak and use a pistol to shoot the rocket, which leaves him unprotected against the snipers. If he decided to take the snipers while the rocket was flying, he couldn't counter the rocket.

Yamiks does show skill to handle Phoenix and snipers at the same time so easily, but it's also a display of remarkable lack of skill on the part of the attackers to let Yamiks have his way like that.
  11. Obstruction

i dunno about it being zero risk. the amount of teamkilling that happens when idiots run in front and explode them in the spawnroom is pretty hilarious. it sortof balances out.
  12. Epic High Five

I've seen two Kobalts nullify the better part of a squad of Phoenixes. It's really not that hard to do

Also lol if the Phoenix spam from the spawnroom is bothering you so much just lob some smoke at it. The window to get a Phoenix through the shield AND past obstacles immediately outside the spawn AND pitch up and down such to hit the target is narrow enough as is. Add in blindness and 99% of HAs will just grab decis and head out of the spawn.

I MAAAYYYY be guilty of smoking my own spawn room a few times. I just can't hold onto all these smoke grenades guys I'm sorry :(
    • Up x 2
  13. Goretzu

Yep, decent Sunderer gunners (with the right weapons) make a Sunderer almost Pheonix immune, similar story with secondary MBT gunners.
  14. Goretzu

He's doing it with a pretty difficult weapon to do it with, there's LOADS of weapons that are MUCH better at shooting down Pheonixes than that!

Evasive manuvers help, but a Pheonix isn't an ESF, it isn't even as manuverable as a Galaxy (and the hit box is "almost" as big ;) ), so even the best Pheonix "pilot" will struggle to get past two good Sunderer gunners with the right weapons.

Plain general ADS infantry fire has a good chance of bringing a Pheonix down, I've even seen someone manage to bring one down with lucky pistol fire once....... if do wonder if you could even knife one! :D (but LMGs, Bursters, any high-ish RoF vehicle base weapon etc., all are very good at bringing them down especially when stationed just before or after (or on, of coure) the target as the Phoenix has to fly into the fire).
  15. Fenrisk

I see a lot of over stretching to defend something that comes with zero risks and massive rewards. Being able to guide rockets around terrain within 300m of the base all from the complete safety of the spawn room is fubar. You can go on all you want as to how a sunderer should have 2 dedicated gunners shooting phoenix's instead of defending the point, defending the sunderer against infantry or repairing the sunderer or that every MBT near the base should have 2 pocket engys to survive the heavy's sat in their spawn spamming phoenix's for epic lol's.

Fact is NC doesn't have to worry about that crap from TR or VANU. If they did they would be here saying exactly what TR and VA are. That it's a broken game play mechanic and gives NC a significant advantage over the other factions when it comes to base defence.

If you want to use the phoenix you should be forced to leave the spawn room period. I think the same should apply to all rockets launchers including striker/lancer.
  16. Corezer

no, my video was reality, you are over-stretching to make the reward for using the phoenix seem massive, and for making it seem like there is no risk of TK, or just having your base completely overrun while you twiddle your thumbs in spawn...
  17. Hegeteus

One dedicated engineer repairing > One dedicated HA shooting with Phoenix. Guess which ones are more readily available.
  18. Alyz

The HA, who fires his rockets from behind cover while the engi has to get out of the vehicle to repair, making the vehicle an easy target for others and the engi an easy target for snipers.
    • Up x 1
  19. Casterbridge

Evasive maneuvers? What do you think this rocket is capable of?

This is beyond silly, where is this happening? Where is this massive coordinated NC phoenix defense, from behind spawn shields that is making it impossible for TR and VS to take bases as their sunderers and armor are systematically destroyed?

Of all the fights I've been in both with and against NC only a handful have phoenixes had any real impact in the defense/offense of the NC force and I honestly can't think of one where that tactic was effective from behind spawn room shields, at best they are an annoyance from behind the shield.

The Phoenix simply does not have the maneuverability, or the range, or the hitbox to do what you guys are describing.
  20. Fenrisk

You risk being team killed? Really? That's you excuse for for being able to defend your base from behind a spawn shield? Golly GOSH Someone might team kill them! That makes it COMPLETELY balanced. :rolleyes:

By your own corrupt bias logic all factions should get weapons that can hit vehicles behind cover within 300m of their base. All from the safety of the spawn room. Better yet make the spawn room just a dome shield with full view of the entire base so all the defenders can defend their base from behind the shield because the risk of being team killed would still make it balanced? right? Lmao

Sorry but I don't believe this game should be made for people who want to defend their base from their spawn room. This isn't hellokittyside 2. If ANY faction wants to defend their base or take out vehicles they should be required to leave their spawn room and risk being killed by the enemy just as a bloody engineer is forced to leave his vehical to repair when you shoot phoenixs at it or a guys forced to spend his energy trying to shoot phoenixs exposing himself to being killed by other enemys. If you want to play with no risk of death in a FPS there are plenty of them out there with God mode cheats you can enable.

Only the NC would defend the use of rockets from inside spawn room shields. :rolleyes: