[Suggestion] PHASESHIFT still broken, rework required

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by MasterTater, Apr 2, 2015.

1. MasterTater

Hello everyone,

the phaseshift is still in my inventory and I have not used it for some time. I decided to give it another try and the last 2 weeks where I tried to use the gun for any good purpose was ... amazingly underwhelming.

The major issue is still the broken concept of the underlying charge mechanic in the same firemode of quickshots and charged shot.

The same problem was realised for the Spiker which got fixed due to major availability to all classes and player outcry compared to what the other factions received.

But there are more problems to the PHASE than just charge so here is a short summary which makes the gun "russian roulette" for the user:

PHASESHIFT broken feats:
    ====================
    * mechanic in terms of "broken almost uncontrollable charge pattern",
    * shot fire delay on quick shots,
    * underwhelming bullet velocity,
    * unfitting scope attachments (its rather a 1-6 x scope weapon with high dmg drop off and bullet velocity),
    * inability to charge the weapon in cloaked mode

PHASESHIFT proposed fixes:
    ============
    * fix broken charge mechanic and still maintain the intended versatility:
    Simply put the quickshot 400 dmg and strong shot 650dmg (formely charged shot) into 2 different firemodes with deviating RoF. Faster RoF with the 400dmg shots and slower RoF with the 650dmg shots.
    This would also remove the impracticable quick 400dmg shots delay as the charge is not impacting the 400dmg firemode.

* Increase bullet velocity from the underwhelming 550 to a degree where it is actually possible to hit a slowly moving target on longrange by leading. The current state is unbearable for a sniper rifle, as the required lead is often larger than the visible space required for longrange shots in most standard situations. When having two firemodes it is even possible to have 2 different bullet velocities such as slower projectile speed with the 400 dmg shots and higher velocity for the 650 dmg longrange shots. - sidenote: Even many carbines and LMG got better bullet velocity by standard with high velo ammunition on top -

* Improve the availability of scope options for the PHASESHIFT either down to the 1-6x scopes which is more fitting the dmg fall off range or offer the fullrange of scopes from 1-12x to give players the option to use the gun versatile as it is meant to be in different situations. The current scope selection is absolutely pointless in combination with a charge mechanic, low bullet velo and neccessity to stabalize the 7x (+) scopes.

* If the Charge is kept on the strong 650dmg shots - make it possible to charge out of cloak as otherwise you are absolutely incompetitive against other players / snipers taking you out during charge, aim and gun stabilisation.

===
    IN ESSENCE: - convert the charge mechanic within the same firemode into a weapon with 2 firemodes just like the Spiker - it was an appropriate and absolutely neccessary solution to make the weapon actually usable and same applies to the PHASESHIFT.
    ===

I appreciate constructive feedback when it comes to critique of my mentioned proposals, which means making counter proposals of how to fix the current broken state.

The gun is hardly used by any player compared to other snipers since the quick draw bolt for normal snipers got implemented - so the weapon needs an urgent correction - stating that lack of ammo reload is more than enough to compensate a broken mechanic and inconsistent weapon would be a joke - so stop wasting forum space which is better used for a constructive discussion. I am far away from asking to create an overpowred weapon.
    ===

Thanks in advance - I am looking for your feedback and proposals
    • Up x 2
  2. England3942

The TR's Trap has been "broken" ever since it was released. Just use another weapon for your infiltrator?
  3. MasterTater

Dude the TRAP is an pretty decent MidRange Rifle. Check Youtube Captures for some absolutely valid gameplay. Its comparable with an overtuned Sabr from the medic supply. More an assault rifle than a sniper so its absolutely not comparable.

Your comment does not contribute in anyway to the Topic of a neccessary fix for this broken gun.

But thanks for your time
  4. England3942

No no, like you say that nobody uses the Phaseshift (which is true), similarly I don't think that I have ever seen anyone use the Trap outside of VR Training (beyond the first week or so after it was released). All I am saying is that, at this time, Daybreak should be more concerned with trying to get PS2 on PS4 up and running fully, than trying to apply "a *necessary* fix for this broken gun" (is it really necessary?). Also, not that I am an expert in this, but such a fix as you suggest would require new coding, which is expensive and time-consuming to do (as it is not simply number-tweaking).
  5. Weatherchild

Ah, Phaseshift is not broken... Yes, semi auto fire mode is more or less useless but put on a silencer, get a nice position and you can have fun all day long. I'm more used to dynamic gameplay, but I've had 30+ killstreaks with it. I find it amazingly fun.. if I am in the mood for it. It just requires a totally different gameplay than other rifles. Which offers a nice relief for me :)
  6. MisterSlim

I must say that measuring a weapon's effectiveness by how often it is used doesn't always work out. It is better to judge a weapon's effectiveness by comparing it to the role it is intended to fill. For example, of those that have it unlocked, not many people use (or for some reason, even like) the Parsec VX3-A, yet it is by all means a highly effective weapon within its niche (but I'm biased, as it's my favorite rifle). When I ask them why they dislike it, they normally respond with "The Parallax is better at X action". This does not mean that the Parallax is a superior weapon, it simply means that the Parallax is superior in its given role (which is extreme range sniping, compared to the role of the Parsec, which is long-range snapshots on moving targets). They may be saying "This weapon is ineffective because it doesn't do X as well", what they mean is "This weapon is used for a role that doesn't synergize well with my playstyle. This weapon is good at something else, besides what I'm trying to use it for."

The Phaseshift is highly effective..within its niche. This niche, much like the other ESSRs, is very narrow. The role of the Phaseshift is indicated by its very distinctive properties. It lends itself to be used in a way that involves a long lifespan, limited or no ally support, and varying gear configurations. It eliminates the need to run Ammo Belt (which is normally a go-to on bolt action builds), which frees up the ability to take advantage of the rifle's semi-auto mobility and ''sling shots all day, you'll never run out'' aptitude. Running with an increased Sprint Speed is wonderful in tandem with this weapon's role, and wreaking havoc with 4 EMP Nades is always fun. If you're concerned about the countersniper problem, then I recommend running a max-rank Nano Armor Cloak, rather than your Hunter Cloak. It will allow you to survive a headshot from a Tier 3 BASR while you're cloaked up. The shorter cloak time shouldn't really matter, as you won't be worrying about hopping from cover to cover to try to find ammo, and you'll be taking lots of shots to take advantage of your infinite ammo, so your between-shot downtime should be minimal.

I don't like the Phaseshift's niche myself, so I don't use the Phaseshift. That doesn't mean I find the Phaseshift ineffective, I just find it ineffective for the playstyle I prefer.

-Stay Fr0sty
    • Up x 2
  7. Kubin

Exactly. Phaseshift is a weapon somewhat hard to learn and hella hard to master, especially when silenced, but it's also a weapon that gives you opportunities no other rifle gives. It's perfect for someone who likes to camp when there is a chance for that. Why did I underline that? Because the chance isn't always there and not every battle will support that playstyle, but people need to understand that not every weapon should be epic in every single scenario. Bah, even whole classes are just tools in my eyes. I've tried to play with only one class all the time and it can be done to a degree, but it's not as effective as using different classes while the battle circumstances change.

Some weapons just have their role narrow, as Fr0sty stated above.

However I totally support the idea of giving Phaseshift a 1-6 or 1-12 scope model. It'd be a majestic beast ;)
  8. Neo3602

I don't see why the charge mechanic change should not be implemented, that alone would improve the handling of the weapon considerably.
    • Up x 1
  9. Jac70

I use the PS as my current range sniping weapon and it is a PITA - 90% of the time your target will either be moving which makes judging the lead very hard, they will be ADADADA which makes hitting them near impossible or you will have lost LoS before you can charge your shot.

Still, there is just something about the weapon that I like, the look of the thing, the sounds and animations. It is by far the go-to weapon for removing engineers from turrets if they are on a hill or you are (which is pretty niche I know :eek: ). I would like to see 2x or 4x scopes on it, using it as a close-mid sniper would work I think. I would also like to see the CoF for the semi-auto mode reduced so that you can use it in emergencies for cqc - currently you can stand 2m away from a stationery target, fire from standstill with the weapon aimed right at them and every shot miss. It's ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  10. MasterTater

===

Honestly you wanna tell me that a weapon which is hard and almost impossible to master due to a broken mechanic which already led to an absolutely neccessary rework of the Spiker is "ok" for you while the mechnic is broken by design?

Dude thats absolute BS what you type here - I tried to make some good contribution to a neccessary weapon rework which was ALREADY ANALYSED AS ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY for the SPIKER and was realized and you state that people shall learn a complete counter intuitive weapon mechanic which is broken by simply putting to fire options into the same Firemode which SIMPLY DO NOT MATCH.

On charged shots: You have a 0,3 seconds + 0,1 second for the firedelay.
    On single buck shots: You have a firedelay of 0,1 - 0,2 seconds which make you miss most shots especially on moving targets.

Thats was unacceptable and uncomparable in impracticable difficulty already for the SPIKER and got fixed.

I really wonder if you are not a NC or TR fanboy which want to keep OP gear for their faction while maintaining trash equipment for broken gamebalance on the other factions by spreading trollpost on well argumented and articulated posts for required weapon fixes.

I will reopen this thread under another name and will make sure that the new thread wont offer ANY attack possibilities for non argumented and bullsheit post like you bring in here on maintaining broken equipment on the enemy factions
  11. MasterTater

SCOPES ALONE - would not solve the problem which was already realized with the SPIKER as absolutely weapon breaking impractical.

You can not put a charge mechanic on a buck shot firemode when the charge mechanic completely interferes with the quick release of shots cause there is a check mechanic of 0,1 -0,2 seconds which tries to figure out if you wanna charge or not.

On buckshots you DONT WANNA charge and loose accuracy and quick time to fire.

Thats an UNACCEPTABLE broken state of the weapon cause the delay of shots and resulting inacccuracy coupled together with the low bullet velocity will make you miss most of the shots.

SPIKER got FIXED for VERY REASONABLE ARGUMENTS and you wanna tell me that the PHASESHIFT suffering from the same charge mechanic flaws makes an exception.

You can NOT cirumvent mechanical and firmly implemented mechnic flaws by "training". The flaw of firedelay will not be removed by training - its there - its broken and will make you loose more fights than win due to the massive impact it got on your gameplay performance.

Stay frosty and and unfreeze your brain before you start to trash reasonable posts with absolutely useless and brainless arguments which do not contrinbute at all to the solution of a problem.

===

I ASKED EXCEPTIONALLY FOR THE FOLLOWING TO EXCULDE TRASH SPAM INTO REASONABLE DISCUSSIONS:

I appreciate constructive feedback when it comes to critique of my mentioned proposals, which means making counter proposals of how to fix the current broken state.

The gun is hardly used by any player compared to other snipers since the quick draw bolt for normal snipers got implemented - so the weapon needs an urgent correction - stating that lack of ammo reload is more than enough to compensate a broken mechanic and inconsistent weapon would be a joke - so stop wasting forum space which is better used for a constructive discussion. I am far away from asking to create an overpowred weapon.
  12. MasterTater

YOU agree that the weapon is broken.

You state that you use the weapon as a bolt action sniper which only receives its maximum performance by a 2 seconds charge mechanic.

So EVERY other Bolt action sniper rifle without charge mechanic and a 5 shot magazin and bolt action quickreload would already outperform the phaseshift in every possible way (also due to the massive recoil)

You state that the initially intended versatility of having quick buckshots and bolt actionshots in the same weapon is broken - as the quick shots mode are massisely impacted by the persistent 0,1-0,2 charge check delays.

=> The intended Versatility of the Weapon is broken by mixing a charge mechanic into qucik buckshots.

====
    ====

Nevertheless you argue to have had a lucky day of with 30 kills which I absolutely doubt to keep the broken weapon in the current state by saying its fun to have a broken weapon.

Instead of giving my proposals to fix the weapon a thumb up you - say YES the weapon is broken by design but broken weapons on VS side are ok and every attempt o discuss and fix the problem from a community side contribution is nonsense and should not be supported.

I ASKED FOR A MINDFUL AND FACT / ARGUMENT BASED DISCUSSION.
    I ASKED EXCEPTIONALLY FOR THE FOLLOWING TO EXCULDE TRASH SPAM INTO REASONABLE DISCUSSIONS:

13. MasterTater

Dude you pick out 1 out of 10 arguments which I personally have put in the least importance and wanna wipe all other 9 mentioned arguments for a required fix under the table by seemingly disapproving this one unimportant argument?

Dude you better start reading the rest of a post before you try to diapprove a valid and fact based discussion.

You made absolutely no constructive contribution to this discussion and I exclusively asked for a constructive discussion

14. England3942

Dude, what the hell do you want people to say?! It seems as though whenever someone posts on this thread, that you IMMEDIATELY SHUT THEM DOWN, and respond with "ughhhhh this isn't constructive....... this isn't a useful contribution.....". This is how these sorts of threads work! You cannot make a thread like this and then expect every response to be exactly how you like it. Any of the responses in here, including my own I might add, have been (to any extent) contradicted by you; it's like the only comment that we can make on this thread is "Congratulations, you're right!". Here you are - Congratulations, you're right!!!
  15. Plastikfrosch

dont dare to touch the phaseshift. Its fine like it is. its not the best sniperrifle but its the most fun to play with. the only thing they should take away is the reload animation. it should only have the cooldown like a mana turret.
  16. MisterSlim

I don't see how I chose 1 of your 10 arguments. I was certain that my statement covered most, if not all, of them. "Use the weapon for its intended role, rather than trying to change that role". What doesn't that cover, friend?

Valid and fact based? I mentioned this as well. Your method of backing your fact is stating that 'it isn't used as much', which doesn't prove anything. The Parsec isn't used much either, and most players that have it unlocked only use it for the auraxium medal, then pick their Parallax back up. But I'd be the first to disagree with someone calling it 'underpowered' or 'bad'. So, that valid and fact based discussion leads me to believe that the only fact involved is "I don't like it".

I'm not sure how I wasn't constructive. I attempted to explain that the weapon is made for a certain role, but I'll cater to what I'm sure you're wanting, and take every piece of your proposals and discuss them individually:

The weapon would lose versatility if the charge mechanic were to be split. A large amount of the weapon's versatility lies within its ability to make a per-shot decision as to what type of shot you want to use. If you want this weapon to be usable outside 200m, then the best way to use it is to hit them in the head with a charge shot, then hit them in the body with a tap shot. Having to swap fire modes in-between would be more cumbersome than just manipulating the fire button. If jumped whilst sniping, the semi-auto mode can be used to help in that CQB skirmish. Having to change fire-modes after you are engaged is most likely a death sentence.

Again, changing the weapon's role isn't going to fix the problem. All that would be doing is trying to blend it with the role of the other BASRs. Want a high-speed long-range rifle? Grab your BASR. It isn't meant to be a killing machine at 250m, and trying to use it as such will always leave you falling short. If there is a target at 250m, then it can kill it, (and I personally feel that the lack of bullet drop compensates for low velocity) but that just isn't the intended role. -Sidenote: The 5.56 NATO round fired from my AR-15 has a muzzle velocity of around 1400m/s, and the velocity of my 7mm Rem Mag sniper rifle has a muzzle velocity of around 1100m/s. Does that make my AR-15 better as a sniper rifle? No. It does not. Showing up to a long-range competition with that would likely get me laughed at. Muzzle velocities are not the sole factor in determining a rifle's purpose.

This, I wouldn't have a problem with. I don't see it as necessary, but I wouldn't say no to adding a little versatility to the weapon. Would I call the current optics selection pointless? No. It does fit the role of the weapon. But I wouldn't mind emphasizing on that versatile role by adding a more versatile range of optics.

Anything else you'd like my input on?

-Stay Fr0sty
  17. Kubin

I want to say that you, my friend MasterTater, seem to be a bit too much of a ******** here. I don't even mind you implying I'm stupid, because your opinion doesn't matter at all. Furthermore - telling the person who has only one character in the entire game, and it's VS, that he's a "NC/TR fanboy" just because he doesn't agree with your sanctified and one-and-only point of view is just pitiful.

I'm beside Fr0sty in that thread. Especially the part when he said it's necessary to keep the existing firemode model for PhaseShift to keep its utility.

Take a deep breath, lose some of that unnecessary tension of yours and have a good day.
    • Up x 1
  18. MisterSlim

Nice to see I make sense to more people than just myself xD (Always gotta keep the fans happy.. all 4 of them xD) You have earned a like, good sir!

-Stay Fr0sty
  19. giltwist

Honestly, if you could just hold charge indefinitely, that'd be all the fix it needs.
    • Up x 2
  20. MasterTater

Lol broken - maybe the way how U use it is broken. Its a scout rifle and not a sniper and shall be used as such:

Here eat a video of someone who gets along with the TRAP very well: