[Suggestion] PHASESHIFT still broken, rework required

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by MasterTater, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ATRA_Wampa-One

The only thing wrong with the phaseshift is that it can't equip a 4x scope and the only problem with the TRAP is that it's magazine size is tiny and should be brought up to 24-26.
  2. Krinsee

People tend to overlook the extreamly unique and as far as I know only sniper rifle with unlimited ammo.

Yes I would like to see a small change to it like possibly increasing the velocity with charge akin to the lancer and vortex (other charge mechanic weapons) But for my play-style when I'm using it I find it a very versitile weapon between mid and long range
    (250-300ish) . If that first shot doesn't pop them you have the option to follow up immediatly (granted it overheats) with a snap shot that will in most cases finish the target. Also it is an epic weapon for harrasing Maxs if you get a chance. >:)
    • Up x 1
  3. Weatherchild

Jesus, you are a cheerful person :) Look, I've been playing this game for a while. I would not say I am bad at it. I also play mostly infiltrator.

The things you see as problems with the weapons may not be problems for others. That is like if you would say that the Ursa is broken because it's fire rate is too slow.

The way I use the Phaseshift.. it works for me. I even nerf it with a silencer (the bullet speed without it is the same as with XM98).

Yes, I would die to have a 4x scope on it but as it stands now?

I find it very fun, even with it's limitations. I find it effective. The unlimited ammo is worth all it's downsides.

Never did I say it is broken. Never did I say I had A lucky day with it. I have plenty of them.

The way I see it... It is a difficult weapon to use. It requires adaptation and a different playstyle. It may not cater to most of the playerbase but that does not mean it is bad. It is, simply put, different.
    • Up x 3
  4. MisterSlim

If I could thumb this up twice I would.

-Stay Fr0sty
  5. Psykmoe

This is actually the first time I'm hearing real complaints about the Phaseshift. Now I personally only rarely snipe and then only with the Ghost/SAS-R/TSAR, but most people I've talked to seem to think the Phaseshift is a pretty solid gun, and enjoy the infinite ammo as well as the flexibility of a semi-auto mode with optional BASR-level headshots.

I mean, there's what, six other rifles to chose if you don't care to adjust to the eccentricities of the weapon?
    • Up x 1
  6. asmodraxus

Most people tend not to touch the phaseshift due to its bad reputation for taking the worst of the semi auto sniper rifle's and making it worse ie the charge up debacle

A quick comparison between the phasexcrement and the Railjack

Railjack
    KPH 18.7
    KPU 8.4
    Kills 6098
    Total Users 2013

Phasexcrement
    KPH 16.4
    KPU 6.4
    Kills 750
    Total Users 618
    • Up x 1
  7. Quinnocent

Planetside 2 has between a half-dozen and two dozen sidegrades for any given weapon. For sniper rifles, there are copy-paste weapons available for any combination of bolt-action/semiautomatic and short-range/long-range. So ES rifles are left to fill niches. That doesn't mean they're bad, even if they don't get used very often.

The TRAP is a highly-effective midrange burst scout rifle. The Phaseshift is a harassment weapon with a good degree of suppressed effectiveness compared to other OHKO weapons. The NC are probably the worst off, since they basically get a "better" long-range bolt-action which is of arguable utility, since the top-tier copy paste rifles already have OHKO headshots at nearly the entire infantry draw distance (admittedly, there is a very small range window where they cannot but the Railjack can). Even then, the extra slack in damage and velocity allow it to offset suppressor penalties better than copy-paste bolt-actions, so even that weapon has its niche, that of the long-range, bolt-action suppressed sniper rifle.

You really can't force the Phaseshift to be more like a conventional sniper rifle without making it overpowered.

To start with, the Phaseshift is the only OHKO sniper rifle without bullet drop, even at medium range. See the Ghost and its siblings, which have bullet drop. Or the Phantom and Spectre, which have no bullet drop but cannot OHKO and have lower min damage than other semiautomatic sniper rifles.

I think it's clear that including bullet drop is a way to temper the effectiveness of long-range OHKO's. It adds an extra factor which increases the skill requirement for long-range OHKO's. The Phaseshift only gets around this by adding another factor, its charge-up. Removing that would place the skill floor for the weapon far too low, in my opinion.

You also suggest giving the weapon 1x-4x scopes. When people ask for that, they generally just want to just avoid scope sway. Given the weapon's OHKO range, it's probably not an oversight that it only has long-range scopes. Scope sway and breath management are probably additional factors they wanted the Phaseshift to have to deal with, in order to balance out its advantages. And I would agree with that decision. Lack of scope sway would make the weapon too effective in the semiautomatic harassment role. Ammo considerations are what limit weapons like the Phantom from endlessly spamming easy no-drop/no-sway headshots at enemies.

A change in bullet velocity is probably the best idea. I don't think it would be transformative, but it would be a good quality of life fix. Perhaps increasing velocity to 650 on charged shots would be adequate. That would give it parity with top-tier copy-paste bolt-actions. You could also probably remove the scope sway while breathing. Yes, the Phaseshift has very minor sway while you breathe.

Honestly, the Phaseshift is really not as useless as you make it out to be. There's a reason why the weapon has its fans. It works in its niche, which is that of a high-endurance harassment weapon. It's difficult but not impossible to land moving headshots, especially once you practice with the weapon. It's great against stationary targets. And since it has no bullet drop, you take less of a hit for using a suppressor. In fact, the OHKO range really doesn't decrease by very much with a suppressor on, compared to other OHKO sniper rifles. Finally, it's a great anti-sniper weapon. It one-shots infiltrators essentially out to [nearly] draw distance. And yes, the infinite ammo is really useful for certain playstyles.

Do those playstyles have very high SPH? Probably not. Strategic utility is also arguable, especially in small battles. But it's Planetside 2. There's really no meta, and everyone is just playing for fun in their own way, especially infiltrators. In the name of making the Phaseshift more like other rifles, we'd probably lose the things which make it unique, and I don't think that would be fun for the players who like it. You probably wouldn't add anything new to the game in the process, either.
    • Up x 2