Pay2Anni-lock

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by phungus420, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Dynamix

I sincerely hope that SOE doesn't cave to the whining. I would be in favor of my aforementioned flare buff as a renewable aerospace resource.

If you try to attack a room by yourself filled with an entire squad, expect to die. You can't even blame that on draw distance.
    If you keep trying to attack an entire squad armed with rockets, expect to die.

Superior numbers can defeat superior firepower.

Out of curiosity, how much does it even matter that the lock indicator isn't making sounds? It does still put the flashing word "LOCK" on the screen, if I remember correctly. It's more of a convenience that it makes the sound, but I wouldn't say it puts anyone at a definite disadvantage. It doesn't seem to be an issue of pilots forgetting to flare because they didn't hear the sound, but rather it seems to be that they didn't BRING any flares.
    • Up x 2
  2. Dynamix

I was right there with you, actually! And I was the one that mentioned it! (My forum name and character name are different!)

Now, are you ready for 20 minutes of ITANO CIRCUS?!

• Up x 1
  3. Doodles89

currently Heavy assault is the most overpowered class in the game...

vs Infantry -250% HP with nanoweave+resist, with 100 ammo clips
    vs vehicles -a currently overpowered skilless weapon that locks on to every single vehicle type from distances with no way to defend yourself from the invisible HA and rockets. (even if you flare, you have no way of knowing where to cover cause you dont know where the rockets came from and will get locked on by 3 guys as soon as your flare grace period ends.)

HAs are now the only thing in the game that literally HARD counter everything. (SUCH a thing should NOT exist in ANY game, let alone an MMO) Combine that with the ridiculous scaling effect of the rockets where 3 guys can instagib an ESF and 6 guys can instagib an MBT and realize its NOT hard to "coordinate" such a team since the majority of players are HAs with the Annihilator...

There's no range penalty. At least with dumbfires the farther the target, the harder to hit, which makes sense. Annihilators are the same at 50m as they are from 500m... which... makes. no. sense.

Try coordinating a group of any other class that requires skillful people to do something. Not hold your cursor over a target for 3 seconds and be guaranteed damage....
    • Up x 1
  4. Dynamix

Actually, it makes total sense. You seem to be under the impression that missiles should do less damage at range. This is not how missiles work. Missiles work by exploding when they hit things, unlike bullets, which do not. The speed at which a missile impacts a target does not really matter. In real life, one surface to air missile can bring down the real world equivalent of a Galaxy. But in Planetside, even a group of people using Annihilators won't take out a Galaxy about to do an 11/12 drop on them.

"Requires no skill to use" is just your opinion. Requires different skills is a more appropriate statement. Rocket pods, air to air rockets (which lock on), and Zepher/Dalton are just a matter of pointing your cursor at a place and pulling the trigger.

I've seen plenty of coordinated groups of tanks, and they're very effective. Anything will be effective with teamwork. But I've never seen a coordinated group of fighters. Most fighter pilots tend to be really focused on getting the kill: everyone wants that kill, so they all try to get on the enemy's six and launch their rockets. This results in people crashing into one another and me laughing.
    • Up x 1
  5. Doodles89

Believe it or not, taking down a tank with an ESF and getting away is NOT easy. The people who argue FOR lock-ons never get these so called HUGE kill streaks that vehicle drivers and ESF pilots are apparently getting left and right.

SOME ESFs and Tanks are getting them, because they know what they're doing. Its called a skill curve. If you can't fly an ESF as well as the guy who can kill a tank and get away, you use a skill less weapon that requires no aiming, while hes spent hours certing his ESF and learning to maneuver and play tactically getting behind a tank, and getting behind enemy lines unnoticed. You are invisibly standing on a hill top 500m away holding your cursor over the target for 3 seconds and are guaranteed damage using a weapon you bought.... probably not with EXP certs.

I'll say it one last time... FIRE and FORGET weapons negate any accrued skills of vehicle players.

It's kind of like you're the button smasher in mortal kombat, stop doing the same moderately effective, high yield tactic over and over again... Higher skill curves like the ESF deserve and SHOULD get greater rewards than point and click.
  6. Shockwave44

Ok, after 13 pages, I think its time to stop this.

I promised I would post this video anywhere someone whined about lock-on rocket spam.
    • Up x 1
  7. TheEvilBlight

Agreed. I remain in favor of providing some kind of AV solution to the other classes in game *that isn't a pack of C4*. It doesn't help you when you are scurrying around in HE range and not in C4 range. And helplessness is what drives people to be HA most of the time.
  8. shd

It doesn't "flash" if you fly in 3rd person, what majority of pilots do most of the time. The sound matters a lot.

Anyways i would remove lock-ons from the game entirely. Fire and forget weapons suck in any game. I would replace them with laser guided weapons, meaning you have to stay on your target while the missile flies, let's say keep in in the circle current lock on has.
    • Up x 1
  9. Shockwave44

Just put the keyboard away, you're done. No more nerfs from you or anyone else and just watch the video I posted above.
  10. shd

I was focused more on air, i actually find it easy to dodge lock-ons on my tanks. Dumbfires, usually used by people with skill are more of a threat.

And what do you actually oppose in my suggestion ? You afraid having to lead your target will overload your single-cell processor ?
  11. Shockwave44

I'm just going to talk to you like a 4 year old since you can't seem to wrap your head around this.

Big mean prowlers have this real fast deploy now and can now snipe infantry from faaaaar away. What the hell does this have to do with leading your target?

And since you're taking about air, you said
    But hellfire rocketpods and zephers make the game so much more fun!!! You have to fire and forget because a liberator is stronger than infantry. If you stay out in the open, starting at the lib, he'll just pound you before your shot can even make it to him. You just want people to have to stand still because obviously you can't lead targets.

Bedtime story over.
    • Up x 1
  12. LoveJuices

So you are insanely outnumbered by an enemy with over 2 dozen MBT and air support.

And you somehow feel this is grounds for having a broken weapon which would allow you to deal with this entire threat with no more then 20 guys pointing in the general direction of the zerg?

Once a tank zerg reaches a critical mass like this I'll agree it is very difficult to shatter it but this is where you should be getting your outfit or in /orders and marshaling your own tank lance to meet them at the next base. Preferably with a lot more air support because they only seemed to have a handful of mossies. A dozen ESF speeced for tank busting and a few daltons later and this whole prowler migration would and could be stopped in its tracks if they are not fast enough to respond with AA MAXs.

Just because you are thinking as an infantry p[layer only and don't plan on an wide scale doesn't mean we should hand you ez mode OP weapons that let you make up for your lack of skill and planning with numbers.
  13. Shockwave44

We don't have 20 guys who play HA.

Or we could use annihilators. No one ever complains about the hades even though it does more damage to tanks. I don't get it.

Or we could use annihilators. What if we are out of resources or just used our tanks and aircraft? Then what? What if we don't have a platoon but just a squad? Come on smart guy, what next?

Same could be said of you, thinking as only an esf pilot or tank driver. And you didn't hand us anything, we pissed you off with lock-ons and I'm glad so deal with it. It's called area of denial or a counter-attack, meaning just because you have a zerg of tanks doesn't mean we should just roll out the red carpet. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
  14. LoveJuices

So basically you are without an outfit. Without resources. Without planning. Without support. Yet you think you should still be able to stop a platoon strength of armor and air?

God I hope you're trolling. I seriously do because if this is the mindset of lock-supporters I can begin to see why debating this is so frustrating. We're on two completely different levels here. I cannot reason with someone who lacks reason to begin with.
  15. Doodles89

Shockwave, re-read your response... LoveJuices came up with alternate approaches to counter the scenario that hard counter it. The correct way to play a game like this.

You know what your response was every time...

"Or we could use annihilators"

That's the problem. It is a counter for everything that scales way too well with numbers and has no counter cause most of the time the rockets and the HAs that fired them are invisible.

It's like button smashing an obviously overpowered move. You're getting rewarded for 0 skill and 0 tactical intelligence. You can't argue for the annihilator. you CAN'T... it targets everything, scales amazingly, and you dont have to do anything. you STAND STILL at a target too far away to see you.

You can take out tanks faster with ESFs, Libs, LA with C4, Engi's with tank mines... The difference, you have to put yourself in danger and have skill to pull it off, something annihilator spammers don't want to or have to do.

/thread.
    get some skill, stop standing on a ledge playing Lock-onside 2. you can find better games to do that in that dont require a gaming PC on miniclip.com. This game has skill curves for everything and people want an anti-everything weapon they can stand still and fire... and not learn how to play the game to its full fun and difficult potentials... and then have the balls to defend it... so... sad...
    • Up x 1
  16. Sifer2

The problem seems to be less the Annihilator itself an more the buffs to lock on range, an missile tracking speed they gave all lock on launchers. They are now able to snipe off tanks from greater than the tanks can even render them which is completely broken. There is not even a good argument that can be made for this period. It's broken. Maybe you like that you can do it, and abuse it. But it's broken. They nerfed the range for a reason back in beta. Then someone apparently forgot why an reversed the change. Now they look like the idiot they are an will have to change it back. And mark my words that they will because they will want to sell you the fancy new rocket launchers they have planned on the Roadmap. In fact I hope the whole overpowering of lock on launchers wasn't just a money making scheme to begin with. But it looks that way since as I said we had this problem in Beta already.
    • Up x 1
  17. Doodles89

SOE does have a habit of mysteriously putting daily deals on items right before or after a buff...

*cough* skyguard, A2Am, G2A launchers, A30s, burster arm *cough* ;)
  18. bsheep9

It's been discussed many times, the flashing word lock is shown in first person as somebody is aquiring a lock, this can only be seen in 1st person. When the enemy has a full lock (green square tone) a solid lock will appear in 1st person, a tone will play in 3rd person.

However, once the enemy has fired their missile, lock DISAPPEARS from screen and NO sound is played. If the enemy who fired the rocket does so as soon as he gets a full lock, the pilot will NOT hear a sound.
  19. HubschrauBaer

I as a heavy assault player thinks the same everytime i am killed by an enemy engie or medic ;-) Dont think that the class is overpowered. I can move with lower speed than other classes and my class is for direct fighting. Engie and meds are supporter. Maxes are ... maxes ;-) And Light Assault have more speed, the jump jets aso.. HA has to take the most in fighting. Its the "standard trooper" in this game. My K/D ratio in infantry mode is 1,66 or so at the moment. And most kills i make on distance. When i got killed it was in most cases a "lighter" class. ;-)
  20. Shockwave44

Um, I also have the hades and nemesis. In fact I hardly use the annihilator since its very weak compared to the other lock-ons. Sucks to assume, doesn't it.

You also never answered the question about being out of resources or on a cool down. Probably because you can't.