Official Jag VS Lynx Thread

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by x13urst, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ghoest

2. Wolfwood82

... If you never used the SMG then clearly you have no idea how to trial a weapon, in which case you are suffering from far more complicated problems then merely a choice of gun.

The problem I have with your statement is that it essentially tells people "don't bother trying them out, they have a 'shake' bug that is so terrible that you should just use a carbine instead". In reality the shake has almost no affect on your game play. It is a cosmetic issue at best, and I find that the newer SMGs completely lack the target acquisition bug where your ADS sights drop super low, then pause on the way up to firing position. You land in ADS and you are almost immediately ready to shoot.

1) You mean Foregrip affects horizontal recoil. Vertical recoil is improved by a Compensator.
    2) It does a lot for TR's carbines, as they all have some level of horizontal recoil. Even the Jag could benefit from it, probably more then others. It improves long range fire because it's recoil is an equal pull to both sides, meaning your rounds are more likely to be thrown off course at a distance. In other words, you can't compensate for it's recoil pattern.
    3) The Jaguar starts with a tighter CoF then the Lynx to begin with, adding an advanced laser sight would definitely improve the Lynx beyond the Jaguar. The problem is the Jaguar can use advanced laser sights as well. The main advantage that the Lynx has over the Jaguar is a higher DPS which is far more competitive with other CQC carbines. In every other respect, the Jaguar is a superior carbine.
  3. x13urst

Oh crap, yes, I meant horizontal recoil. And I've used the foregrip on almost every carbine, and I haven't noticed a change in the recoil at all.
  4. Ronin Oni

It's more than Acc that makes SMG's suck at mid range...

they have the worst damage drop off of ANY weapons....

Seriously, if I'm shooting at a target past 25m... I use my Emperor (when I play my SMG infil)... not that I shoot at targets past 25m very often when I am... I just cloak and move in closer for the kill :D
  5. Wolfwood82

That's completely different from my own experiences. I actually do quite well with the Hailstrom at 25-35m ranges, to the point where I don't really feel "weaker" then I would with a Lynx. And I've done direct comparisons.

The Lynx is quite obviously superior at those ranges, no question. However the Hailstrom did not have an obvious "omg wtf am I doing I can't kill ****!" feel to it either. I was actually killing people at a decent range with the weapon. I find the best thing to do is ADS (or even hip fire, if you have advanced lasers and can crouch) in short bursts works the best.
  6. NaySayer

Thank you... so much:)
    I am enlightened.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ronin Oni

well of course I ADS man....

hipfire is for within 15m tops... and that's even pretty far.

I'm also suppressed.... and I'm using the other SMG
  8. Wolfwood82

I'm just saying you can hipfire them at mid range and still be effective if you burst it. They are pretty accurate that way, possibly more accurate then with ADS since recoil isn't nearly as much of an issue.
  9. Ronin Oni

Actually, I've heard that the SMG's have identical stats for hipfire and ADS... but ADS does apply small zoom and effectively lowers aim sensitivity (though the SMG is still the fastest aiming ADS weapon) providing for better control.

Which is the reason to ADS in the first place really.

And I really need to get a laser sight on my damn SMG. Kinda messes me up visually since the laser and the actual aim point aren't lined up right... I had to train myself to ignore the laser line and keep focusing on the crosshairs lol.

Anyways, back OT... I spose if you're directly comparing Jag and Lynx, you only have the base Carbine, the Jag is prolly a better choice. If you have a Lynx, there's little reason to get the Jag. If you have another carbine better at mid and longer ranges, you may then prefer Lynx over Jag. (eg; I had T5 AMC from Alpha Squad, so Lynx was a great option for me... I also got it in a package deal).

Kinda crazy how many guns I have already... I got an extra gun per class from Alpha Squad, and another gun per class from the Infantry Bundle (+ Emperor). I think I still want the new NS Heavy pistol... the TR auto-pistol they're working on (NC get another heavy pistol, VS a charge up pistol) I'm not really interested in
  10. blzbug

I always use L to turn off the visible laser sight. There is enough schit flashing around on the screen already. I don't need my laser pointer adding to the mix.
  11. Ronin Oni

wait, it still functions while 'off'??

I'll be checkin this out later for sure.
  12. blzbug

The red line image is just for show. Turn it on and off with L and you will see that your crosshairs and bullet spread don't change.
  13. Ronin Oni

well hell, I'll never have the dumb thing on again then.
  14. MarlboroMan-E

I have Lynx aurax medal and T5 aurax medal, so I picked up Jag for something new. Prefer it to both. By a lot.
  15. blzbug

I have aurax on the jaguar but I've only trialed the lynx, so I can't comment on those. I prefer the SMG to the jag. Yes, the range is shorter. But with my high ping, I'm crap at medium range anyway. Anything that is within range of the NV scope, the SMG is a better performer for me. The high rof and low recoil makes it very user friendly. As wolfwood said, bursting the smg at range is pretty effective. I am starting to think I prefer the first smg (armistace) to the newer smg (hailstorm). Sure, a 60/240 bullet hose is useful. But I can really feel the lower ROF in my TTK. With the hailstorm, I often have to unload half the clip to get a kill. I'd rather have a faster kill and maybe have to scrounge for ammo if I live long enough.
  16. Wolfwood82

It's only a 200 dps difference between the two, and as for damage per magazine the Hailstrom wins hands down. I really love the hailstrom.
  17. LazyBoot

According to the stats on http://ps2.dynet.com/, the smgs do have better cone of fire when ADS...
    0.3/0.3/3 (ads) vs 1/1.5/5/7 (hip)