Official Jag VS Lynx Thread

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by x13urst, Feb 21, 2013.

1. x13urst

I understand there are many threads about the jag and lynx, but I can't find any threads that go into depth with stats and numbers and cool stuff like that. Which gun do you guys think is better? Here it is as far I know the advantages the Jag has over the Lynx.
    • Higher accuracy
    • Lower recoil
    • Has no horizontal recoil, only vertical recoil making it very easy to control.
    The only real advantage the Lynx has over the Jag is
    • Very slightly higher RoF
    If anyone could find the real stats to compare these guns, that would be awesome.

Am I missing something, or is there no reason to use the lynx over the jaguar? I bought the lynx before the jaguar was out, but now i'm starting to think about getting the jag. Should I? What do you guys think?
  2. Ronin Oni

I already have the T5 AMC for foregrip & range combat...

I wanted a better hipfire CQB carbine, and the Lynx with Laser site is perfect for this (has 2x laser upgrade)
  3. Ghoest

• Up x 2
  4. Wolfwood82

Eff em both and get the SMG with adv. lasers.

The Jaguar is a better "multi purpose" carbine, but the Lynx is superior in CQC. Everyone says the Jag has slightly lower RoF compared to the Lynx, and this is true. It's also ******** to compare two weapons which will never compete head to head in an actual fight.

Your rival CQC carbines are the GD-7F and I believe the Serpent? Both of which have a RoF that is nearly 100 RPMs above the Jag and 50 RPMs above the Lynx. Makes a huge difference when it comes to DPS comparisons. Meanwhile the TR SMG has a RoF of nearly 900 RPMs compared to the mighty 850 that the CQC carbines boast and the 800 that the Lynx has, and 750 that the Jag (and Trac-5 and Trac-5 burst btw) has.

In reality the Jag was offered up as a great CQC carbine but is more suited for mid-range combat. It's hipfire accuracy makes it amazing for close-mid range combat but when compared to the GD-7F it will die a horrible death.
  5. Kedric

Get a Hailstorm instead.

All of the new SMGs are amazing... Jaguar is still good for medium range, but after recerts get put in the game I'd rather just dump my certs into 1 gun for all classes. The only other weapons to bother with are sniper rifles and shotguns.
  6. Ekdal

The new SMGs do less damage per bullet. The Lynx will kill faster than the Armistice even though it has a lower rate of fire.

I would stick with a carbine for light assault because they wind up in as many medium range confrontations as short range and the SMGs simply don't have the accuracy for medium range. The aimed accuracy of a carbine is 3 times better than an SMG.

I would try both the jag and the lynx and pick the one you feel more comfortable aiming. Recoil control is more important than stats when picking between these two weapons. If pressed, I would probably chose the lynx since it will kill slightly faster, though again, how the weapon feels will matter the most.
  7. {joer

Stick with the carbine for light assault due to the "shake" issue with SMGs if nothing else.
  8. commandoFi

I would like to point out the the Jaguar has equal, not zero, horizontal recoil. This makes it easy to point and shoot in close range, but makes it unpredictable in sustained fire at range.

Edit: The Jaguar also has the same recoil as the Lynx according to raw stats.
    • Up x 1
  9. Wolfwood82

That sounds suspiciously like "stick to Drifter jets due to the bug with JJ upgrades". Your logic is yours and works for you. I'll stick with my logic and enjoy playing the game the way I want to.
  10. Badname3073

So do other weapons. Each weapon's recoil is modeled in-game by superimposing a deterministic drift term and a stochastic diffusion term. It's just that the drift term acts in the vertical direction for weapons with "equal" recoil, and in a slanted direction for others. Somehow "pro players" don't quite realize this simple fact and instead spread the fallacy that the weapons with skewed recoil do not have randomness in their recoil. Oh well.
  11. Badname3073

I got the Jaguar simply because it is the only TR carbine that pulls straight up, which makes it easy to use due to the fact that the height of infantry targets is much greater than their width. Basically, the Jaguar is very user-friendly at mid-range because of this. In addition, it also has the tightest hipfire cones among all TR carbines without any upgrades (even tighter than the Lynx), and with the advanced laser dot can be used in this mode at 10-15 meter ranges. The fact that the Jaguar has 50 less rpm than the Lynx is compensated by its tighter hipfire cone in close quarters situation (unless you are firing point blank and all bullets hit). So, I think for me it is the best overall LA weapon. But for other people it can be different.
  12. {joer

Hey that's great, thanks so much for sharing!
  13. NaySayer

I have a question, would a lynx with foregrip make the CoF equal to the standard jag's CoF?
  14. Wolfwood82

Just saying next time don't bother. It's a 2 year old's line of logic that I'm pretty sure EVERYONE has thought of already.
  15. {joer

If you never used the SMG you wouldn't know about the shake issue, as its not something that makes any logical sense.
  16. x13urst

The foregrip does nothing to the CoF. The CoF is affected by the laser sights, and yes a laser sight would make it equal to the jags, if not tighter. An advanced laser sight would make it tighter for sure. Foregrip affects verticle recoil and does nothing for TR's carbines.
  17. NaySayer

I see, why thank you good sir.
    I was under the impression the foregrip would reduce the recoil on the lynx in long range conditions and make it equal to or almost equal to using the jag in a long range situation. I currently use the standard trac5 with acs scope, and can hit long range targets pretty well, wondered if the lynx with acs scope would be an upgrade. If I was able to trial the lynx with an acs, I would have my answer :(
  18. Squirreli

Jaguar > Hailstorm
    MSW-R > Hailstorm
    Most medic guns > Hailstorm

Now, I've been really happy the Jaguar (4500 kills or so) and I do recommend that weapon over the Hailstorm any day. It is at least as good up close and much better at any range beyond 5m or so. The same goes for HA:s MSW-R, though that one is inferior to the Jaguar. I only use the Hailstorm for the infiltrator, as it allows for decent close-up fighting for that class like no other weapon I've tested.

As to the Lynx vs Jaguar comparison... I'd recommend Jaguar, but I have not even trialed Lynx so what do I know? ;)
  19. DrTeeth

You're confusing COF and recoil. Think of a circle that your bullets will randomly land in, with the circle getting bigger as the distance increases. COF controls the size of the circle. Recoil controls how the center of the circle moves after each shot. There are two types of COF and two types of Recoil in the game:

* Hipfire COF controls how big the circle is when firing from the hip. It is effected by the laser attachment. You can get an idea of your COF by the size of the crosshair when running around. It is effected by walking, sprinting, jumping, crouching etc.

* ADS COF controls how big the circle is when firing while aiming down sights. You can't change this with attachments and there's no way to see it directly. It is effected by walking, sprinting, jumping, crouching etc.

* 'standard' Recoil controls how the circle moves in a fairly predictable vertical or angled direction after each shot. It is controlled by many settings, but the most important ones are:

- First shot recoil controls how far the circle moves on the first shot of a burst, or on single shot.
    - Recoil min / max magnitude controls how far subsequent shots move the circle at the start of a burst, and how bad it can get.
    - Recoil min / max angle controls the direction the recoil goes in. It can be straight up (min and max are 0) or it can be at an angle (starting at +35 degrees and ending up at +45 degrees for the Lynx for example)
    - Recoil recovery delay and rate control how long it takes for the weapon to return to point of aim after firing.

'standard' Recoil is effected by the compensator attachment.

* Horizontal Recoil then further moves the circle by a small random amount either left or right. It is controlled by these settings:

- Tolerance controls how quickly the horizontal recoil effect increases with firing.
    - Horizontal Recoil min / max controls how big the recoil effect is at the start of a burst, and how bad it can get.

Horizontal Recoil is effected by the forward grip attachment.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ghoest