Observations from an older gamer.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vertabrae, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Naejin

I'm the oldest guy in my outfit [1TR] by at least a decade +.
  2. Konstantinn

Arcades are one thing, but my home gaming experience started out with ZX spectrum clones loading games from audio cassette where you had to type in Load " " in basic then rewind the tape to precise moment of where the game (or level) began, then pressing play button on tape player. Forget about saving anything.

Listening to where game began and ended was kind of an acquired skill. There was usually a pause in between games (as most tapes had more than one). Check this link out for pics of what these computers with 48k memory looked like. I literally dreamed about having a floppy disk drive when I was a kid.

Glad things improved since then.
  3. DatVanuMan

You said it, man. Quality over quantity, and that's the way things should be. I'd rather have better performance (Solid 50 FPS turns into 70, that would be nice) than a real plasma gun that is actually powerful.
  4. Holbs

45 here. My first "console" platform:

how cool if the liberator shouted out "bandits, 12 o'clock" and "bombs awayyyyyy"
    First online game was 28.8k dial up modem for Quake CTF and then ActionQuake. I think I have more hours in those 2 games combined, than I do since playing Planetside1beta til now.
    • Up x 2
  5. Lazaruz

It's hard to get a laugh out of me, but you did it. Thanks :)

As for the thread itself, I can easily relate even though I'm 29. I still remember my Commodore 64 and the cassette tapes...

[IMG]
  6. Tuco

Load "*",8,1
    • Up x 1
  7. miraculousmouse

I am 200 and what is electricity? :p
  8. LT_Latency

Your the right age to know what DBZ is. The show was around when you were a kid
  9. void666

I'm 35 and i was a teenager...mmmm... ok, young adult, when i first watched DBZ.
    OP has no excuse. Now go and watch DBZ. But do not watch DBGT!
  10. Morchai

That was my first computer. It was so cool, then became amazing when I finally got a disk drive for it. Had a cartridge slot in the back that I used for 'Simon's Basic', which greatly expanded the programming language. Just seeing that picture makes me wax nostalgic.
    • Up x 1
  11. LibertyRevolution

My first gaming rig, Tandy TRS-80 color:
    [IMG]

Oh, the good old days...

Also, I have never seen dragonball and don't get the ginyu force rules stuff either.
  12. Goretzu

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I think you also probably need to open yourself up a bit more to new stuff too (Dragon Ball Z is actually pretty decent up to the end of the the Frieza Saga anyway - not that Dragon Ball Z is remotely new these days).

I actually don't see that much bunny hopping here in PS2, even compared to Quake (1), Team Fortress 1, PS1 or WoW - it is certainly annoying at times, though, but it is not remotely new, it was annoying people at least 17 years ago, and is annoying people still! :D
  13. Goretzu

I still have mine, still works too! Wonderful machine, to this day "The Quest" (default text adventure game that game with it when I got it in ~1984) still has me playing every now and again.

The fact it was continuously made from 1982 to 1994 says a lot about it too.
  14. Rainproof

I used to type in the basic programs from Compute! Gazette magazine into my Commodore 64 on my weekends.....Old ??
  15. Inex

If there's anything that should make you feel old, it's that SOE loves you for the same reason your kids do. ;)
  16. Tuco

[IMG]

Get off my "A" you damn kids!
  17. JibbaJabba

LOL, Epic.
  18. Posse

Yep, you're old
  19. Goretzu

I dunno about that, DBZ was around pretty freely on Western TV from about 1999, so he'd have been 21 at the time (that was likely 1/2 the demographic of the cartoon channels at that time :D ).
  20. Vertabrae

I was in the navy from 96 thru the end of 99, so I want really watching a whole lot of tv at the time. Biggest thing on tv for us was wrestling back then. Sounds lame I know, but it's what pretty much everyone on the boat talked about.
    • Up x 1