Nvidia User Do Not Update to 320.18 (Possible Crash Fix)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Heretic, May 25, 2013.

1. Heretic

If you're experience quite a lot of crashes lately then this is probably the reason why (assuming you've updated). To be more specific, it would appear after testing, that the latest PhysX update packaged with this release is the primary cause of the problem (It doesn't matter if you enable it in the options or not).

After updating to them my self from 314.22 I found that i couldn't play for longer than 10-20 minutes at a time without a crash. I reverted to 314.22 but did not revert the PhysX driver and found it still crashed as often as before. Upon Reverting the PhysX driver as well, all of the crashes disappeared.

As such it would appear that all round, the most stable driver for Planetside currently avaliable is 314.22

If you do decide to roll back the drivers. Make sure you boot into safe mode and use a program such as driver cleaner or driver fusion to remove any traces left behind (I would recommend using both, as they both miss things the other doesn't).

(Testing Specs:
    GPU: GTX580
    CPU: i7 2700K @ 4.7GHZ
    RAM: 8GB @ 2133MHZ
    OS: WINDOWS 8 64bit (DO NOT UPGRADE ITS TERRIBLE, I SHALL BE GOING BACK TO WIN 7 SHORTLY) )
  2. TownCryer8

Well that's odd. I didn't get a PhysX update with the new driver update. Even though i don't use PhysX, i have crashed a few times.
  3. Heretic

The graphics drivers don't seem to be as stable as the last release. That's why i recommended the older ones. But with the latest PhysX release, its simply unplayable (well it was for me anyway).
  4. Pyldrvr

For me, I've been crashing a LOT since GU09 and I hadn't updated my Nvidia drivers yet. I went ahead and updated them yesterday to see if it would help and have had less crashes, but it is still crashing. So for me, updating to the newer drivers helped. Something SOE did with GU09 is what is causing the crashes, not the drivers.
  5. Gammit

I updated the drivers and only crashed once.
  6. Heretic

i found the cause for me was the PhysX update, I couldn't even get through 10 mins of play. After reverting that, i have been playing all day without a single crash. But like you said, it doesn't help that the game is so unstable in the first place.
  7. Brainwayne

thats ********!
  8. unjulation

i updateed my gforce drivers this week and ive noticed that im now crashing on ps2 which before i never did

i'm also geting crashes and interface problems outside of ps2 on my 'puter i thought i might be haveing hardware isues, this might be the saloution to my prob as apart from the ps2 update my gf drivers are the only other thing thats changed in my set up

heritic, i'll check when im home and report back but if it does solve my other isues i'll owe you a pint if/when your old enough, ;)
    • Up x 1
  9. Daikar

Yeah i rolled back to 314
  10. baka

I removed the 320 beta drivers, installed the 314 drivers then removed the Physx that was leftover and installed the newest (9.13.0325). Logged in and craashed within 5 minutes - unfortunately while showing the game to someone who might want to play.
    Turned off the physics and played stably for an hour or two.
    I am going to remove the new physx and let 314 install 9.12.1031, and see how it goes.

Overall framerates with GU9 are down, but gameplay is still smooth for me.
  11. Heretic

Haha, don't worry i've got ID
  12. Heretic

The primary thing that i found was causing the crash was the latest PhysX, if you roll it back you should be good to go.

The easiest thing i found to do, was completely wipe everything that come with the latest drivers and install everything from the 314.22 package.
  13. TAGEMBAGEM

I rolled back to 314.22 and still have crashes..less but they are till here.
    So, it must be something else or both drivers are screwed.
  14. Heretic

you'll still get crashes, but i found mine were not nearly as frequent
  15. MacG32

We shouldn't be forced to roll back anything. This game should be updated/hot fixed/patched to be stable with any drivers, including the recently released. There's been 2 Beta releases prior to this for the devs to get a very good idea of what's coming ahead. Most developers that boast about special PhysX features have a working relationship with Nvidia. Something is just not right here. Instead of being proactive, like most software/game developers, I see way too much reaction after the fact. This game is crashtastic. It has been way too long since release for it to still be in such a state. I'm personally tired of all the lame excuses for an unpolished product and unprofessional public product presentation. There is no excuse...
  16. BlackDove

I totally agree. Was running just fine with 314.22. When I installed the 320.18, it totally screwed my game up. It also gave me microstutter on a single GPU in other games. I am going to stick with 314.22's until they release something decent.
    • Up x 1
  17. Heretic

Glad to see i wasn't going crazy, and unhappy that the problem appears to effect more people. The game should not be so temperamental so long after release, that's what the beta was for.
    • Up x 1
  18. MarthKoopa

LOOOOOOOOOL

Windows 8 is better than 7. You're delusional.
  19. Stick Pin

I haven't crashed for weeks until GU9. I didn't get the Nvidia upgrade yet cause it's a beta.
  20. GUSRG

Hi everyone. I will give my feedback to you guys about those drivers.
    I'm curretly using Windows 8 Pro 64 bits with the 320.18 Drivers and really increased my FPS while playing PS2. Now I can play on a Amp Station without lag and "screen freeze".
    But this new driver have some issues (look the Nvidia forums), like random game crashes and even blank screens while in the desktop (happen to me 1 unique time).

(And just one more warning for the Win8Pro users, the HDMI support may stop working on this drivers version, when connected to a HDTV)