[Suggestion] Nothing has changed, Resist still dominates.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jan 14, 2016.

1. ThePyroRussian

Did the test with Nanite resist you take less damage than Nanitemesh + Max nanoweave
    so if Nanoweave Then Nanitemesh. (9 bodyshots @200 damage)
    If Nanite res Then anything but nanoweave (8 bodyshots @200 damage)
    Testing was done with Reaper DMR
  2. Azawarau

The other shields give you health

This shield makes your current health more efficient

If you get shot before activating its not as useful as the other shields
    • Up x 1
  3. Gundem

People run NW on NMG or Adren, because they actually stack. Giving you an even higher effective HP pool.
    • Up x 1
  4. ThePyroRussian

If I would guess NMG + Max NW still give somewhere between 2000-1850 EHP. Thats really strong still. Just give it some time and try to figure out the new flow. The only thing I can say is max units roll right over everything now so.
  5. Jeslis

I think the main thing the devs are going for here is:
    I got the jump on the heavy, and the heavy still killed me.

The adren/NMG? changes nerf that. Resist shield never had that benefit.. if you hit the heavy before the shield was up, you got the advantage... hence the almost no change to resist.
    • Up x 3
  6. Saokeh

The complaints were MEDIOCRE players having a straight advantage to all classes OTHER than HA. If you play any class at the top 2% you are a huge advantage. And no...The top tier players don't run NWA + Resist shield. That makes no sense when you get waaaay more out of NWA on NMG and Adren. Again...there was no Hard counter to Effective HP gain from Adren or NWG even flanking. Resist suffers more being shot without it up than Adren or NMG ever Did. That was the complaint.
  7. Scr1nRusher

You will see.......................
  8. bLind db

Wow, Scr1n is even the laughing stock of forumside. I figured it'd just be reddit, but even the people here can see through his absolutely minimal understanding of the game.
    • Up x 5
  9. Jubikus

Im no mathematician but your base effective healthpool is basically 1000 then wouldnt all 3 shields give you and effective healtpool in the 1400 area?
  10. Pat22

The Resist shield's weakness is that if you are ambushed or otherwise do not turn it on before you take damage, it quickly loses out to NMG and Adrenaline shield.

We'll compare effective health pools of NMG, NMG+NW and Resist shields when they're activated after having taken hits.
    For the sake of flat numbers, say you're taking 100 damage hits, at a CQC carbine's minimum damage range.

Before you take any hits;
    NMG+NW : 1812 HP
    NMG : 1450
    Resist : 1666

After taking one 100 damage hit ;
    NMG+ NW : 1687
    NMG : 1350
    Resist : 1500

After taking two 100 damage hits ;
    NMG+ NW : 1562
    NMG : 1250
    Resist ; 1333

After taking three 100 damage hits ;
    NMG+ NW: 1437
    NMG: 1150
    Resist: 1166

After taking four 100 damage hits ;
    NMG+ NW ; 1312
    NMG: 1059
    Resist: 1000

Right around the 400 damage mark, Resist shield suddenly becomes weaker than NMG alone. If you get the drop on an enemy heavy and hit him with three bullets from your standard 143 damage weapon, two bullets from an NC 200 damage weapon, or four bullets from a TR 125 damage weapon, Resist shield will be at a disadvantage over the other two shields. Three shots is very fast. Generally, combined with ping, it's pretty unlikely that the heavy will be able to react before that happens.
    So, as has been said many times, Resist is better when used pre-emptively, but leaves you more vulnerable to flanking and ambush.

HOWEVER, this changes if you add medkit spamming into the mix. I'm not going to do math on that one but it's pretty obvious that Resist shield far favors medkit spamming over the other two shields by increasing the "amount" of health you can gain per medkit from 500 to 833, but that is a problem with medkits themselves, not with the shield.
    • Up x 1
  11. Eternaloptimist

In fact a lot has changed in shields. NMG and Adrenaline in particular. Resist wasn't so protective because it doesn't stack with Nanoweave, so apart from a smal reduction in Resist, the others have come down quite drastically in the amount of protection they give. I haven't played HA for a while although I used to main it. Sounds to me like the choice between shields is now more about your fighting style than about which gives the best protection. And HA is still the best protected class (not counting Max)
  12. Scr1nRusher

(slow clap)

So I'm the bad guy for pointing out that when it comes to the re-balance of the 3 shields, Resist shield(the most popular HA shield type) didn't get nerfed as hard as the other shields?
  13. Scr1nRusher

I'm saying nothing has changed interms of Resist usage or for Resist users.
  14. Scr1nRusher

Still, this is a key issue.

Also my whole point is that Resist shield is the better all around Shield type.

Saying that "NMG/Adrenaline shield is better when Nanoweave is factored in" is pointing out that if Nanoweave isn't used, Resist is clearly better.
  15. Scr1nRusher

Next time you guys play......... take note of how many resist users you encounter.

If a HA kills you, ask him what his shield was(if you can't visually tell)
  16. Azawarau

Healer + RS = Fairly tanky heavy
  17. Mongychops

• So why not pair NW with NMG or AS? Before this change, resist was only really ideal when used with ASC, so this seems perfectly reasonable, also now Flak 5 + NMG/AS does have an advantage in surviving in a zerged grenade spamming hellhole now resistance is down to 40%.
    • NMG and AS recharge faster now. Gaining 200 HP back with AS for every kill (EHP higher with NW5) is a perfectly viable option.
    • It only takes a shot or two before turning your shield on for the EHP advantage of resist shield to disappear.
    • You lose less shield charge over time due to drain now, so for longer duels, the EHP difference isn't as big as it looks.
    • Resist shield increases damage you take by slowing you down by -50% for the whole fight, while NMG and AS only slow you down for <1/3 of your HP. For someone who made a big deal about 0.75x ADS increasing strafe speed on LMGs being unacceptable, why are you being inconsistent in disregarding this?
    • NMG & AS can be used to mitigate fall damage (and now recharge faster after), resist shield can't, this gives you more mobility in some terrain.
  18. Scr1nRusher

Look from a "shots to take down" perspective.

All these details are important i'm not denying that.

But what I am trying to say is that the Resist changes haven't changed anything involving HA shield choice for the majority of HA users.
  19. MurgNC

All I know is, as an Adrenaline Shield user, I was losing a LOT of 1 vs 1 fights against Resist Shield heavies, but very few fights against NMG or Adren Shield heavies! So much so that I was questioning my use of the Adrenaline Shield, considering swapping it out for Resist. And all this was pre-nerf!

Now post-nerf it's really no choice at all: Resist Shield is obviously the better shield 99% of the time. As for the main "advantage" of the Adren Shield, being able to pop it when somebody gets the drop on you, even pre-nerf if somebody got the drop on me it usually means I'm dead 0.5 seconds later despite popping my shield.
    • Up x 1
  20. Bral

Oh Look Scr1Rusher **** posting again.