[Suggestion] Non-Lethal AA Deterrent

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ColonelChingles, May 12, 2014.

1. ColonelChingles

Not in most situations, and not a guaranteed death. Lots of flight sims have temporary loss of control (usually engine stalls are the most common but loss of things like elevators too). Sometimes those losses of control results in death, but a good pilot knows how to deal with those situations.

I had thought about this, but a Lancer-like projectile would be too easy to hit enemy ground vehicles with so it wouldn't be fair. Perhaps against ground vehicles (and infantry) a different projectile would work (like a Bulldog or something). Have the jammer switch to a special anti-ground mode using more difficult projectiles, and it would work I think.

As mentioned above, it might be possible to change this into something that can target enemy vehicles and infantry, dealing roughly the same effects. This would extend the purpose of the NS-MEWSS, which I agree is a bit limited in usefulness.

The reason for a "more hits" model instead of a "one hit" model is because this weapon was designed to be a true deterrent. After the first hit, no pilot worth their salt would want to stick around. It's not meant to seriously damage/disable pilots with a single shot, but instead to send them a clear message that if they stay in the area then they're going to die really quickly.
  2. TheBlazing

The reason for a "more hits" model instead of a "one hit" model is because this weapon was designed to be a true deterrent. After the first hit, no pilot worth their salt would want to stick around. It's not meant to seriously damage/disable pilots with a single shot, but instead to send them a clear message that if they stay in the area then they're going to die really quickly.[/quote]

I see your point. However, I'm not sure if instantly repelling any aircraft that dares enter an area with one vehicle is balanced. It should somehow have a set "timer" before it starts being a real problem to give skilled/clever pilots who know what they are doing a chance to attack the ground for at least 5-6 seconds after entering the area. What if, after the first shot, the effects, instead of requiring additional shots, got worse and worse until the pilot leaves a set radius from the jammer? Basically you enter, get "locked" by the jammer, and receive a "warning - ECM detected!" message and your HUD and cockpit lights start flickering (the initial effects could of course be changed and balanced). If you stick around for more than 6-7 seconds, worse things start to happen. I could even see the engine shutdown re-added with this mechanic.
  3. Sagabyte

Non lethal air deterrent?

Why not dome shields?
  4. ColonelChingles

That would work... but it would be a lot easier to hit them with one shot instead of 5. I mean I'm all for it, but I think pilots might have more of a problem with it. :p

That's not really a "deterrent" as the word is normally used. A deterrent is something that discourages a person from making a particular choice. Dome shields remove the chance of choice altogether... the pilot can't pick whether they want to engage ground forces or not.

A true deterrent would leave the pilot with two choices:
    1) Immediately disengage and run away and live
    or
    2) Continue to engage and die

That's how deterrents work. Better than walls/domes, because then pilots can chose whether they want to live or die!
  5. Sagabyte

Dome shields prevent old McDonald from coming in and lolpodding his way to victory. This ends air to ground mega farms while flak can make the rest of those pesky birds leave.
  6. Demigan

I like the idea to make them a secondary turret so tanks, harassers and Sunderers can all equip it.

As mentioned before, I think you can hurt people enough by reducing vision, stopping their weapons with a reload and reducing their turn/speed ratio's for every 2 hits or something.
  7. Cuban

Love how half the people saying no are not even reading the "effects last a couple seconds and it takes consecutive hits" but yea this sounds great.
    • Up x 1
  8. lawn gnome

a couple seconds can be a long time in ground combat and it can be an even longer time when you are in the air. i just don't think something like this is suited to the game in it's current form.
  9. Lord_Avatar

Bad for balance, yet I like it. How about an upgrade - all Rocketpod/AI Nosegun ESFs flagged by the device explode instantly and are put on a 24h cooldown. :D
  10. ColonelChingles

I think if the pilot were already angled down or very close to the ground, then maybe 3 hits might be lethal. Then again if it got hit three time by a Lancer the ESF would be dead instead of possibly dead.

But in the majority of cases if the airplane is high enough off the ground, 1-2 seconds of an effect wouldn't be much. I guess there may be a danger of 5 Jaguarundis all coordinating their fire to try to get engine kills at the same time... but again 5 Lancers would arguably be more dangerous.
  11. Tuco

[IMG]

Don't know how it works, just does.
  12. Rayden78

Haha would love to have this as psychological warfare, send your ingame voicechat to the targeted location (also enemies can hear it).