NO XP FOR KILLS - Did you even notice?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lewk, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Lewk

SoE removed XP for killing players that have recently spawned. This means you are getting 0 xp for kills outside of their spawn, and outside of enemy sunders. The idea was that it would help prevent spawn camping.

Did you even notice?

Did you notice a reduction in spawn camping? I sure didn't. I didn't even realize that the xp had been removed until someone mentioned how everyone thought it was a horrible idea but SoE did it anyways.

Personally i have no problem turning the farm on in this game. But i have 5 co-workers who struggle every session for their few kills they get. When i told them that they don't get xp for killing recently spawned players, their response was "well that is stupid. He gets xp for shooting me!".

My argument is this. The cert gain for new/regular players is low enough already. The idea to remove xp for killing recently spawned players has not changed spawn camping at all. Please reinstate xp for all kills. Personally i would like to see something like a short immunity after spawning, or something that HELPS AND REWARDS players in a positive way, not a PENALTY for simply playing the game the way it was designed (yes, SoE designed the game in such a way that spawn camping becomes inevitable).

So what do you guys think? Reducing spawn camping would be great, but this is NOT the way to do it, and only PENALIZES players.
    • Up x 2
  2. \m/SLAYER\m/

nope, they should remove it as death count, so at least i will know, that spawn camper got nothing
    • Up x 2
  3. Fellgnome

I could swear I'm still seeing the normal XP gains when I kill new spawned players or just-revived players(you get a lot of that with Pounders). I wonder if it's reporting the adjusted XP correctly.
  4. WarmasterRaptor

I didn't notice since I don't camp spawns.
    • Up x 11
  5. TheBlindFreak

I remember reading the patch notes. And honestly, I think it's a fair change. Spawn kills barely gave any experience anyway. I'm just not sure I understand your complaint here. Are you saying that you think spawn kills should grant you experience?

From the patch notes:
    Note that players only count as spawn kills for 12 seconds, maximum. They stop being spawn kills sooner if they get 100xp. A later hotfix prevents players who were rezz'd by a medic from counting as freshly spawned.

Also, just out of curiosity, if your co-workers are struggling to get a few kills per session, and the only kills they are even managing to get are spawn kills, why are they still playing? I don't mean to sound rude, but that's a level of bad that I find hard to understand. Do they just follow the zerg and scuffle over spawn kills with other pugs? Do they repeatedly spawn at bases that are clearly lost causes?
    • Up x 2
  6. GhostAvatar

Never noticed and never cared. I play the objective game, not the cert or KDR game.
    • Up x 5
  7. current1y

Can't say I've noticed. Too busy shooting to notice. I would agree in general though. As far as spawn camping goes most games I see protect the spawned in player and not try to penalize the person spawn camping.

I would support a spawn protection only for when you spawn on surrenders. Make it last say 5-6 seconds. The second they do damage, or earn xp it turns off. A glowing shield (maybe NS color) but less intense then a heavy shield would be a neat way to tell who is protected. You could have it fade in brightness the closer they are for it to run out of spawn protection.

Drop pods and people who spawn in a protected area don't need this.
    • Up x 1
  8. Fatal_Finn

They could increase the spawn protection area a bit. This would apply only to base spawns, though. Atm you can't go into the spawn but you can sit right next to it.
  9. Goldmonk

Spawn campers are the most annoying thing ever in any FPS game. It ruins the game for players who have to sit in the spawn room and are constantly bombarded and die the second they leave.
    • Up x 1
  10. Archiadus

I spawn camp players at Sunderers in hopes of my allies showing up to destroy that vehicle, I honestly couldn't care less about the XP / K/D that you get from it as all I see is a spawn point that has to be destroyed. :p
    • Up x 1
  11. Jogido

it's not meant to reduce spawn camping, it is to make it less/not rewarding.
    • Up x 1
  12. Tricycle

I suppose this proves the point of how clueless and naive SOE is. Why in earth would one think that such exp tune would alter player behavior when 90% of the players do not even know it exists? As a matter of fact, even if people would be aware of this change, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't change their behavior one bit anyway.This is one of those things which leave me speechless in utter amaze of designer stupidity.

Somehow I'm not surprised though..
  13. Jeslis

I noticed my xp/hour dropped quite a bit, but there isn't else to do.
    Everyone spawns from 1 of those 2 spots (or beacons).. and I dont get xp from them for.. 15? seconds or until they kill someone first.
  14. Fellgnome

Ah okay, this explains why I thought it was borked. Apparently I am supposed to be getting easy XP from players being spam revived in dumb spots.
  15. johnway

I was aware of the changes and thought i would suffer for it. But all honestly? Nothings really changed as much as not getting my 12 certs a day. But i see the upsides to that and the spawn kill changes don't bother me too greatly when it works both ways and my performance/score hasn't changed much.
  16. Vanuub

There, fixed it for you.

Because it is still rewarding on several levels. Just not in the xp gained department.

Still killcount and kill/death ratio padding.
    Still indirectly rewarding by being the most efficient way (short of organized defense coming in from outside) of ensuring a capture.
    Still rewarding to thwart and demoralize the enemy. Emotionally and re ruthless capture strategy.

There would have to be massive xp and killcount penalties (in the hundreds of xp and subtracting several kills) to deter it sufficiently. The root cause is the awful spawn room choices, a issues that has been brought up since beta. Not to be a OAP ps1 whiteknight, but back then it was only really an issue in towers, and even then only when you got max and thumpers inside the doors.
    Given the lack of base and spawnroom reform, then there is nothing short of horrible penalties that will stop it. And from everything we have seen, they want it this way (W.A.I) as they want stuff to be impossible to hold with equal numbers. Blame "conquering stuff is fun, so lets make sure it is biased that way" line of comittee design, which overrides and screws over the larger picture.
  17. SpartanPsycho

You obviously are either lying or don't play much.....
  18. Halo572

Or at all since the last patch. Which being as that is my excuse I have no problem with it.

Although you have to allow that being as most of the players of this title will spend their time viewing the screen through the red mist of a killing frenzy in whatever gimped playstyle they abuse it also isn't unreasonable that they haven't noticed between the scarlet veil and the mouse button mashing.
  19. ronjahn

I haven't played for XP in over a year now, so no I didn't notice.

Even if I did, my behavior wouldn't change.

It's not my fault that SOE made spawn camping literarily the most important step in capturing most bases. Shame on them for penalizing players for playing the game in the way they designed it. What do they expect? Do they want me to sit back on the point and let the enemy bum rush me? No thanks. I'll sit outside of the spawn and farm the clueless who decide to leave, regardless of XP granted.
    • Up x 2
  20. Prudentia

well i didn't Play much in the last time but i'm also never spawncamping for one simple reason:
    i'm the opposite of Forumsides opinion what a Player is,
    i look at the map, if my faction has more than 50% Pop (i instantly redeploy and) i spawn elsewhere in a base where my faction has less than 40% Pop.

quite refreshing, always a challenge and i have yet to ever get into a Situation where i have to whine like all the other guys on teamspeak or the Forums about other Players Walking into my line of fire because they don't look out for my inflated ego, shot me in the back because they don't stop shoting so my inflated ego can pass infront of them or log out because my faction only has 32% and is therefor totally underpoped increasing the difference even more and being the only cause for Population problems
    • Up x 1