[BUG] ? No exp gain anymore after hacking several terminals?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Syntera, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Syntera

Is it a bug or intentional, that I no longer gain experience from hacking after I have hacked about 10 turrents/consoles?
    I can imagine this is done to prevent farming, but I find it annoying that there is no gain when I do it in an AMP Station where a big battle is
  2. Fishie

I think it's intentional, though I can't confirm that. The complete lack of any indication certainly makes it seem pretty buggy, but it always seems to happen at some point or other.
  3. Mbui

I think it stops after 3 hacks. Gotta wait a few minutes to resume getting xp.
  4. Wobberjockey

there is a a cap on XP/time for any one source such as hacking or ammo resupply.
  5. Syntera

Thanks for clearing up it's not just me and the explanation.
  6. Crywalker

Supposedly XP gains from support stuff like repairs, heals, revives, hacks, all stops giving XP after a certain number of ticks(or total XP?) without interruption by another XP source. It's to prevent botting with ammo packs I guess. Not sure why the applied it to hacking but they did.

As engineer, repairing will interrupt resupply and reset so it's easy to keep getting XP, same with medic for revives and heals. Infil has to get XP for a kill or something, so they're kind of screwed by the system.
  7. Texicon

I can understand the logic but it is pretty stupid to limit the XP one gets for infiltrating and creating havoc.
    • Up x 1
  8. Wobberjockey

i think the idea is to prevent 2 infiltrators of different factions from going out to some forsaken corner of the map and hacking a terminal back and forth
  9. Syntera

they could implement a check for a certain amount of enemies or fighting in the vincinity
  10. Ghoest

This.

I believe its not just terminals but turrets also.
    However if you blow something up in btween hacks the It seems the timer is reset.
  11. Texicon

Put a timer on hacking XP gained per hackable "station". 30 minutes or so would do it.
  12. Wobberjockey

not a good idea. i've been in tech plant fights where i've ended up hacking the same station multiple times in under that time span
  13. Wily

This seems to me to be a good idea. 30 mins, gets reset if the object is destroyed.

I don't play infil much, but playing against them, the turret hacking is one of the more effective things they can do. I didn't know about the xp cap from one source. It makes sense to prevent botting, but I think the above suggestion is a better way.
  14. shadowkhat

i hate the exp cap on that its stupid they have logs to show if people are abusing you ban a few people for abusing i doubt more will try.. stupid people that want to break rules cause only problems for other people. have zero mercy put the exp back for all hacks ban abusers. cause i really love reading the "i was banned for no reason " posts LMAO
  15. Texicon

That scenario happens less than hacking 4-5 turrets in the span of a couple of minutes. The simple fact is hacking is no less or more repetative than healing/repairing.....yet one is locked on XP much faster than the others.
    • Up x 1
  16. Wobberjockey

but it's not. it's just that the engineer or medic is more likely to kill/resupply/rez someone, resetting the repair/heal ticker.
    on the other hand an infiltrator who is hacking is far more likely to be attempting to avoid a confrontation, either because they are deep behind enemy lines and not wanting to blow their cover, or because there are 100 guys behind him also shooting at the same targets
  17. illgot

but there is no timer on Generators :)
  18. Dhart

I wouldn't mind seeing Infiltrators getting XP for more than 3-4 hacks...

IF - there was a base warning that is was occurring- much like generators warnings... and it took as much time to hack as it does to repair. The basic hack is still a fraction of the time of the best repair time. And Infiltrators can make it even faster.

If a base is undefended... it won't stop them from hacking every terminal... but it's unrealistic...even for a game...for hackers to take over an entire base of turrets and such without some kind of warning that it is happening.

Infiltrators- you can stealth around all you like...and take pot shots at folks... but once you start interfacing... a warning of some type needs to be automated.
  19. Soylent

BS. I've never had my exp gain stop from ammo resupply. If that's truly the case then the exp/time limit on the ammo is MUCH higher than for hacking, so much higher that I never hit the limit.
  20. Wily

Not trying to be argumentative, but as I understand it, it's a cap that only occurs when you haven't done anything else that gives you xp. So if you have an ammo pack getting constant use, and you are just sitting around, it will cap out. If you repair something or kill someone or anything else that gets you xp, it resets the cap on your ammo pack. If I understand what they're saying...