Newbie/Noob here, Help!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tovarisch Maxim, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Tovarisch Maxim

I started playing PlanetSide 2, Installed the game easterday. I saved all my certs to unlock the long range hard hitting sniper rifle for my infiltrator.

The classes that I mostly like playing are Light assault and Infiltrator.

While I played for example Battlefield 1, I'm most of the time (90%) win in close quarters combat when I do carry a weapon that is effective for this situation (Good hipfire, great firerate), which leaves me winning most of the time.

However, thats not the case in Planetside 2.

I choose to play Vanu sovergency, cause I like the color purple and I like accurate guns, great combo.

When I play as light assault, even if I shoot at the enemy first (Close quarters combat), It takes me about almost whole magazine to kill him (All my shots hitting him) and the enemy just kill me in 2 or 4 shots, dafuq.

All the time when I get killed, in the statistics it always shows that he has almost all of It's shield drained out but have full health... And that was landing 7 or more shots on him.

And there you go, 31 around deaths and only 5 kills, because of that.

I used only the starter weapon carbine on my light assault, it was given to me with the laser sight. It says It's jack of all trades, but I don't see how it was like that.

Could it be because of lag? Because I don't think so, I have decent internet and the game always showed me "Good" quality connection.

And how to be good at Sniper Infiltrator? Easterday I managed to get a very good kill streaks with it, usualy because of good positioning, which was changed later (Couldn't find good sniper positioning after that, so I was just felt always camping and beiung useless lol).

Anyway, what are the tips to be good at light assault? When I play light assault I always move, trying to be maneuverable, when close quarters I always hipfire because my starting gun with laser sight have very good hipfire accuracy.

And what are the tips for Infiltrator? When I play as Infiltrator, I was focusing on it being sniper. Thats why I brought the long range hard hitting sniper, to effectively kill targets at range, to make sure that a shot to the head will be a kill, (Love those targets that Idle, very tasty).
  2. OldMaster80

It could be because of lag, yes. Which server are you on?

Concerning tips... It's not easy to answer. It depends on your play style and what you want to. In general it takes time to get a decent combat awareness.

Do not give up, search for tutorials on YouTube and try to practice with different loadouts. The learning curve is steep and learning is part of the game.

Btw welcome!
  3. Tovarisch Maxim

I live in israel, and I play on the Cobalt server.

Btw, I tryed to play planetSide 2 about 3 times long ago, but I only lasted 1 day because couldn't able to play because of my old lowspec PC.

But today I have much stronger PC and I able to play Planetside 2 perfectly.
  4. BartasRS

First of all if you want to be good at sniping you must know the terrain, bases layout and know when to change position. If you repeatedly kill people in the same spot someone will eventually come looking for you. It will happen no matter how far you go. Good thing for you is that you play VS because they have access to great sniper rifle - Phaseshift. It may look bad on paper due to its low bullet velocity but it has no bullet drop, infinite ammo and 2 fire modes - both equally valid. OFC it is somehow hard to master but when you do you can score 20+ kilstreaks at insane distance easily.

First of all give yourself a bit of time and learn the terrain and bases where the most fights are happening. Sometimes it is worth to take the long route to position yourself properly and when you do the only thing you need to worry about are other snipers. With some sniper rifles you can easily HS people at 300m and it is possible to kill people at 500+.
    Camping, especially vehicle terminals, can be rewarding but it will make a lot of people angry so you can expect full squads looking for you in no time. Again, Phaseshift with a suppressor is a great tool for that, especially on Hossin.

To sum up, if you want to be good sniper remember these: location, reposition, read the flow of the battle.
    If you play on Cobalt you can always ask me and I can show you interesting sniping spots.
    • Up x 1
  5. Towie

I'd love to put here exactly what I think about snipers camping vehicle terminals - but the obscene word blocker would break under the strain....
  6. Eternaloptimist

For LA you can find a really good couple of online guides published by Iridar51 (sorry, don't have the links).

My personal approach/thoughts are:
    • nanoweave armour is the only armour that makes sense for LA. Level 4 will do you until you have 1,000 certs to burn
    • C4 is the must-have accessory for the LA for killing tanks, ambushing large groups of infantry etc.
    • situational awareness is essential - people will see you flying about the place so be aware of lines of sight
    • all starter carbines are pretty good but I go for high rate of fire so I certed into the Serpent (the VX6-7 is good too) = more bullets delivered per second
    Do you burst fire? the bullet spread on auto weapons means a lot of misses in sustained fire even if some of them are hitting. You could be doing less damage than you think. Many people say go for headshots for the 2x damage but auto weapons can miss a lot of shots unless at really close range. Personally I go for body shots unless I am very close.
    Laser sight is definitely good for hip fire accuracy. ADS concentrates your shots more though. Soft point ammo also helps you do more damage in CQC. Remember that you can hipfire while using the jetpack now, without a CoF penalty

If you are into getting really close (under 10 meters) shotguns are still pretty good depite the nerfs (but can leave you helpless at longer ranges, even with slugs).
  7. FLHuk

What sort of pings are you getting?

I live in the UK and playing on Cobalt for me is sometimes hard work re pings!
  8. Tovarisch Maxim

I always get around 85 ping, and It shows "Good" sight when I press TAB.

But hell, why does when I shoot someone, even at close range, I have to hit the enemy 9 or more times, and they still dont die. I get hit 2 - 4 times I'm dead.

But one thing for sure It's very annoying and Irretating, I couldn't get any single kill without dying 10 times.

I'll porbably try to make a video gameplay footage of my light assault gameplay and show what I exactly mean.
  9. velie12

you shouldn't buy new weapons in the beginning since the default ones are good weapons
  10. Tovarisch Maxim

Ok, thanks for the tips. But what should I spend my certs on then?

Anyway, I've made a video that shows what I'm trying to explain:

You see? I made 2 hits on him. When he killed me, the statistics showed that he did not receive any damage at all, like my shots did not hit him at all.

Tryed that gun in VR training arena, it took 2 hits to the head to kill, I wanted a sniper that 1 shot kills to the head. Thats why I bought the long range hard hitting sniper rifle.

And btw, why would you put suppresor on sniper? It just makes it weaker at longer ranges, and since you're already supposed to be far away from the enemy to be effective sniper, so you don't need suppressor cause the enemy wont hear your shots anyway.
  11. Sazukata

Okay first of all... I cringed at the performance you were getting. Turn down the graphics. Getting 60+FPS is wayyy more important than the game looking nice. Press Alt + F to display framerate so you know what you're getting.

Second... You charged someone in cover without any consideration at all. Don't expect to win that scenario even if your opponent isn't using a rocket.

Third, the death screen is buggy and not always accurate. But there are possible explanations, such as the HA's overshield absorbing those 2 bullets. Though in this particular case, it was the way clientside hit detection works and it's "favor the shooter" mechanics; the enemy in this video OHK'd you on their screen before your 2 bullets made it to the server and then their screen. Sucks, but that's how it works. The initiator gets a free (approximately) half second to deal damage.
  12. ObiVanuKenobi

Death screen isn't always accurate.
  13. Cymric

If you are dying a lot in 1v1 fights, I would advise you to watch ReNz0r's tutorials.

Flanking:
    By flanking you have the advantage of surprising your opponent, drastically increasing your chance of winning the engagement.

Cross hair placement:
    With right cross hair placement it is much easier to get head shots, increasing your odds of winning in a 1v1

Bursting:
    By bursting you can greatly increase your weapon's accuracy in range fights.
  14. Insignus

You may be running into a phenomenon common to planetside:

Most players play heavy because they're cheesy ****ters because they enjoy the flexibility of having a rocket launcher and LMG, and, most relevant for your situation, high shield strength and an overshield.

Most classes cannot toe to toe with a heavy. Light assault generally requires that you get the drop on them, which you can thanks to the mobility.

I'd recommend you stop buy and review some of the content here: http://iridar.net/planetside2/classes/light-assault/
  15. guerrillaman

If you see your enemies crosshairs, you're doing it wrong.

Flank, run, jump, move, move, move, burst fire.

Go!
  16. FateJH

If he can see his enemy's crosshair, doesn't that mean he's stream sniping?
    • Up x 1
  17. guerrillaman

Lol. I mean you see the enemy crosshair pointing at you.
  18. zaspacer

Your opponent probably just used MedKit.

The MedKit is a used by lots of players, and instantly restores 100% health regen at a click. You can see the Medkit in action here, though this was the MedKit before it was nerfed (they added a 0.5s cooldown time and they made it instant so that it couldn't heal-100%-over-time and just absorb all damage take while healing).

Also, in that video, your opponent hit you with a Rocket Launcher for a one-hit-kill.

To be clear, these issues you are facing are generally disliked by many new players and even much of the current (and former) playerbase. However, the PS2 Devs like it. This "the PS2 Devs like it" will help explain a lot of the weird stuff you run into in PS2 that seems like it might not be set to normal tastes. You will have to determine if it fits your tastes.
  19. velie12

On things for your suit slot, abilities, utilities, defense etc. basically most things that are not weapons. Make sure to have a few(or atleast just one) good loadouts with higher level abilities and suit slot[/quote]
  20. BartasRS

It takes 2 hits in semi-auto mode. Bolt action mode still kills targets up to 300m or so - press B to change fire modes. As for suppressor, Phaseshift is the only sniper rifle where suppressor is usefull under certain conditions. First, it still has no bullet drop so it is very easy to position yourself at proper distance and be able to 1 shot people. OFC there is bigger damage dropoff so the distance is lower but in places like Hossin it works wonders. As I said, handling Phaseshift is quite different from any other sniper rifle. It has lowest bullet velocity of all sniper rifles but it is not such a downside as one may think. In SA mode you can put 2-3 bullets in the air before the first hits the target which makes it almost unavoidable. I regurarly kill people shooting from one base to another with it and TBH I use SA mode as much as BA mode. Infinite ammo and big distance give you the comfort of spamming bullets without having to worry about ressuply and you can use other implants and suit slots than ammo printer or ammo belt.

Phaseshift works really well with Ench Targeting (old Hold Breath) implant. If you aim exactly for the heat it will hit the head and this implant gives you some extra time to careully aim. Good aim is a must coz this gun kicks like a mule in BA mode.